Changing my location for youtube.

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

tzar1990

Changing my location for youtube.

Postby tzar1990 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:59 am UTC

Recently while going to youtube, I've noticed it gives me a message that states "This video is not available in your country." when I attempt to access certain videos. Is there a way to make it think that I'm in a different country so that I can access them? I've already tried logging in and then changing my region on my personal account settings, I don't know how to change my IP address or what-have-you, and I don't know any safe proxy sites that I could use to get around the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes

Bright Shadows

Re: Changing my location for youtube.

Postby Bright Shadows » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:01 am UTC

You can log out and simply put some prefixes in the url for some stuff, I think?

Example:
uk.youtube.com - United Kingdom Youtube

I don't know the prefixes, by and large, though. Sorry, and I hope this helps.

tzar1990

Postby tzar1990 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:23 am UTC

I actually tried that, but it automatically redirects me to ca.youtube.com/...
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes

vatar

Postby vatar » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:05 am UTC

Use a proxy.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:54 am UTC

I just have to ask...
tzar1990 wrote:"This video is not available in your country."
Why? >_>
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

tzar1990

Postby tzar1990 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:51 am UTC

I'm not quite sure why. I live in canada, and I was trying to watch subbed anime, but it's not like youtube would block it from one country instead of just removing it. Even odder, I can watch some episodes and fragments of episodes, but not most of them. For example, when I was trying to watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I was able to see the first third of the sixth episode from a certain member (luckykid578 or something like that) but not the other 2/3rds, and a few fragments of later episodes are available.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:08 am UTC

Yup, proxy is the way to go. I've had good results with Ultrasurf:
http://www.internetfreedom.org/UltraSurf
Apparently some virus scanners call it a trojan. It hasn't blown up my computer - but then I haven't used it much. Some folks also recommend Hotspotshield.

In any case, when using a proxy, you might want to use Keepvid rather than watching it in Youtube.

EDIT: Come to think of it, as far as Keepvid goes, you could just stick with http://www.freeproxyserver.ca/ . (That's no good if you have crazy plugin stuff or external apps, though.)

Return to “The Help Desk”