Windows 7 upgrading

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

dasada122

Windows 7 upgrading

Postby dasada122 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

I have come into possession of a Windows 7 RC, and before I try and use it, I have a few questions.

As I said, this is a release candidate, so when the RTM comes out, do I have to buy that, or can I upgrade?

I already have Vista installed, and I want to keep all my data. Is there a way to install without formatting?

I have heard that the memory footprint in 7 is much smaller than Vista. Is this true? It is my main reason for upgrading, is that alone big enough to warrant the trouble?

I don't know which build it is, but I downloaded it from MSDNAA on the 30th of June.

defaultusername

Re: Windows 7 upgrading

Postby defaultusername » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

dasada122 wrote:As I said, this is a release candidate, so when the RTM comes out, do I have to buy that, or can I upgrade? [...]I don't know which build it is, but I downloaded it from MSDNAA on the 30th of June
Unless I'm mistaken, the RTM will be released to MSDNAA too, so you should just be able to download it from there.
dasada122 wrote:I already have Vista installed, and I want to keep all my data. Is there a way to install without formatting?
You could create a partition on your HDD and install 7 there, but that wouldn't enable you to access the data stored on the Vista partition. I suggest backing up your important files, and then formatting.
dasada122 wrote:I have heard that the memory footprint in 7 is much smaller than Vista. Is this true?
Yes, it's true.
Minnesanvndning001.png
Minnesanvndning001.png (6.53 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
Here's a diagram from an article comparing Vista to 7. The article itself is in swedish, and so wouldn't do you much good, but the diagram speaks for itself(Minnesanvändning == Memory usage).
dasada122 wrote:It is my main reason for upgrading, is that alone big enough to warrant the trouble?
That's a matter of opinion. Myself, I don't consider excessive memory usage to be a particularly big flaw, what with memory being cheap as dirt nowadays.
My advice is to wait with the upgrade until the RTM is released(assuming you can get it for free from MSDNAA).
Because phlogiston.

b1ackcat

Postby b1ackcat » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:15 pm UTC

The RTM for win7 Pro is up on MSDN. afaik there is an upgrade option for those with vista (none with xp though, big mistake microsoft)
My favorite Churchill quote: "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

dasada122

Postby dasada122 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

You sure? I just checked, and they have a 32- and a 64-bit RC. Perhaps different institutions have access to different software.

b1ackcat

Postby b1ackcat » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:21 am UTC

that must be the case. I have x86 versions of beta, RC, and RTM, but no 64 bit unfortunately. Hopefully we'll get 64 bit in october.
My favorite Churchill quote: "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

dasada122

Postby dasada122 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:36 am UTC

An idea emerges... a network of students at schools on MSDNAA, trading what they have access to for what they don't.

Return to “The Help Desk”