KDE lovers :(

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

xMango

KDE lovers :(

Postby xMango » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

Why does everyone love on KDE when Gnome is so much better and no where near as buggy as KDE is. Someone please help me understand this because I liken it to people who like to use gedit over nano, when nano is a far superior editor :(
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

LikwidCirkel

Re: KDE lovers :(

Postby LikwidCirkel » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:03 pm UTC

Someone please move this to religions wars.

Myself, I don't hate KDE because it's buggy.. I never really noticed. I prefer Gnome because I like the way the <alt><F2> launcher auto-completes like bash, and I like the behaviour of dragging things around with a mouse (KDE asks for move/copy every single time unless you hold control or shift while dropping). It also has way too many big useless dialogues for my liking, and I find it very bloated in general with thousands of features that I'll never use that simply add clutter.

That said, I'm aware that some people like it, and all the power to them.

Edit: I absolutely prefer gedit over nano, even vim or emacs for that matter. Get the hell off of your ego trip of "I LIKE it better, therefore everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot", because that's very much the tone of your post.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:51 pm UTC

xMango wrote:people who like to use gedit over nano, when nano is a far superior editor :(

You must be joking. I only use nano when I'm in the command line.
Gedit, kate, geany, and even scite are all way above nano. They have code highlighting, code folding, multiple files, etc.

And KDE is quite stable for me. I'm using 4.3 here on Arch Linux, and nothing has ever crashed, though it takes fucking forever to log out.
Mostly, I just think Qt is superior to GTK+. I should probably give gtkmm a shot and reconsider it, but I REALLY like Qt, and I want my desktop and applications to all use it.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

Even ed is above nano. I like KDE because of the eye candy, but GNOME is a lot more stable and modular.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

I prefer GNOME over KDE, mostly because I've found it to be more easily customizable. They're both good, IMHO.

P.S. gedit is cool
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:31 am UTC

i never used kde, so i prefer gnome because i used it, however i hear that kde has better power controls

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:50 am UTC

KDE is pretty, but much of my experience with it is marred by unexpected crashes for one reason or another. Gnome, on the other hand, still leaves a bad taste in my mouth from back when editing the applications menu required extensive, esoteric manipulation of text files. Those are days I'd rather not revisit. I'm baffled that it was ever released in such a state.

As for KDE, how the hell do you turn off that little bouncy icon next to the mouse cursor when you launch an application!? I've never been able to figure that out! Bloody waste of cycles, that.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:07 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:As for KDE, how the hell do you turn off that little bouncy icon next to the mouse cursor when you launch an application!? I've never been able to figure that out! Bloody waste of cycles, that.

In KDE 3, run kcontrol, then select "Appearance & Themes" -> "Launch Feedback". Change the "Busy Cursor" setting from "Bouncing Cursor" to "No Busy Cursor".

I don't know how it's done in KDE 4, because I haven't switched and don't plan to.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:42 am UTC

Carnildo wrote:
Jorpho wrote:As for KDE, how the hell do you turn off that little bouncy icon next to the mouse cursor when you launch an application!? I've never been able to figure that out! Bloody waste of cycles, that.

In KDE 3, run kcontrol, then select "Appearance & Themes" -> "Launch Feedback". Change the "Busy Cursor" setting from "Bouncing Cursor" to "No Busy Cursor".

I don't know how it's done in KDE 4, because I haven't switched and don't plan to.

In KDE 4, it's in 'System Settings', 'Desktop', 'Launch Feedback'.
GNOME bothers me because it only aligns icons by their X coordinate, not Y. So they're in different places. It's stupid. Either align them or don't. Don't be a jerk and half-align them.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Gnome, on the other hand, still leaves a bad taste in my mouth from back when editing the applications menu required extensive, esoteric manipulation of text files.

System - Preferences - Main Menu

or right-click the menu and "Edit Menus"
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 pm UTC

1337geek wrote:
Jorpho wrote:Gnome, on the other hand, still leaves a bad taste in my mouth from back when editing the applications menu required extensive, esoteric manipulation of text files.

System - Preferences - Main Menu

or right-click the menu and "Edit Menus"
Of course you can do that now. And before that there was Alacarte as a separate install. But what was there before Alacarte? Nothing, that's what!

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

KDE has a similar problem.
There's a really fancy menu editor, but it's in a separate window.
You can't just say, "remove this from the menu", you have to say, "open the menu editor, find whatever I was just looking at, remove it from the menu, save changes, and close the dialog box".

I'm surprised that the two big DEs have such weirdly obvious UI problems as this.

Oh, and there's no way to add an icon to the desktop. I have looked and looked, and all I found was a way to create menu items, and to add them to the desktop. There's no direct "Add to desktop" button that I've seen in KDE 4.3. I'm lucky I don't use icons anyway.

tendays

Postby tendays » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:03 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:Oh, and there's no way to add an icon to the desktop. I have looked and looked, and all I found was a way to create menu items, and to add them to the desktop. There's no direct "Add to desktop" button that I've seen in KDE 4.3. I'm lucky I don't use icons anyway.
Drag and drop works for me.
<Will> s/hate/love/
Hammer wrote:We are only mildly modly. :D
Beware of the shrolymerase!

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

tendays wrote:
lulzfish wrote:Oh, and there's no way to add an icon to the desktop. I have looked and looked, and all I found was a way to create menu items, and to add them to the desktop. There's no direct "Add to desktop" button that I've seen in KDE 4.3. I'm lucky I don't use icons anyway.
Drag and drop works for me.

?
I mean if I want to have a shortcut for something like "vlc `youtube-dl -g $1`". I don't see any option to add an arbitrary shortcut like that to the desktop.

TNorthover

Postby TNorthover » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:I mean if I want to have a shortcut for something like "vlc `youtube-dl -g $1`". I don't see any option to add an arbitrary shortcut like that to the desktop.

I believe that sort of thing is meant to live in a folder-view widget now. There's certainly a "Create new link to application" option in the right menu that seems to bring up the standard box for that sort of thing.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:KDE has a similar problem.
There's a really fancy menu editor, but it's in a separate window.
You can't just say, "remove this from the menu", you have to say, "open the menu editor, find whatever I was just looking at, remove it from the menu, save changes, and close the dialog box".
The menu is right-clickable just like it is in Windows, isn't it?

Area Man

Postby Area Man » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

First, since this isn't in RW for some reason, what does it matter to you that other people prefer a different FOSS DE/WM?
I've always gone primarily with KDE, using 4.3.2 right now. Back when I cared more about these things* (and didn't have many Gigs of RAM and multi-core processors), I noticed that it's actually a bit lighter in memory than GNOME, despite all the bling, being more modern and less ugly.
If you're really concerned about being frugal, there are better options like LXDE and FluxBox, etc.

*I don't know the current situation.

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

It still is on a technical scale; I know the KDE guys are pushing their netbook fork pretty hard.

But if you want to know why they're both glitchy or behind the times, it's because Linux developers don't give a shit about desktop users. Even Torvalds started citing benchmarks when the kernel guys rejected the CK patch.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:27 am UTC

Area Man wrote:First, since this isn't in RW for some reason, what does it matter to you that other people prefer a different FOSS DE/WM?
Because it's so silly that so much work is getting needlessly duplicated.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:34 am UTC

Religious wars is over that way. You're welcome.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Return to “The Help Desk”