Seeking complex graph visualisation program

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

drunken

Seeking complex graph visualisation program

Postby drunken » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:41 am UTC

I am looking for something very specific, I haven't had much luck googleing it becuase I don't even know what to ask for so if anyone can help me with the name for this type of program or a free implementation they know of I would be grateful.

Description: I am looking for a program that allows me to assemble nodes and edges (2 dimensions is fine) but also allows me to insert text, images or even possibly video into a node. Basic lines linking nodes as in any graph program would be best if they could have a colour and a thickness. I have never seen anything like this but hopefully something exists. Being able to group nodes into super nodes and some sort of zoom function would also be useful. The mac program stickies is the closest thing I have seen and that just allows you to put text notes all over the place, nowhere near as powerful as I want. Oh and I don't have a mac.

Purpose: There are many uses for such a peice of software, the first is for mapping computer games, the idea occurred to me for text adventure games which have a level structure which is irregular and doesn't lend itself very well to mapping on paper. The ability to have a node for each room with a list of stuff in the room and lines (both bi and unidirectional) that show how the rooms are connected. The more complicated use I ahd in mind was for analysing complex problems in reality and mapping them out. Think the 'investigation wall' that you see in most detective/cop/conspiracy tv shows, where pictures of suspects are pinned up next to strange codewords scrawled in pencil and reciepts from random diners. A conspiracy wall program if you will.

I will settle for some basic graph visualiser that only has a fraction of the features I want if that is all I can get but I haven't even found that yet.

Thanks in advance and apologies for my internet searching ineptness.
***This post is my own opinion and no claim is being made that it is in any way scientific nor intended to be construed as such by any reader***

KratosDon

Re: Seeking complex graph visualisation program

Postby KratosDon » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:24 am UTC

I'm not positive about all of the features you listed, but Graphviz -- http://www.graphviz.org/ -- seems pretty close. There's a bit of a learning curve (there's a markup language involved) but it's fairly powerful. It's also open source.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:51 am UTC

OpenDX comes to mind, but upon reading your description, it seems that what you really want is a Mind Map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mi ... g_software

0xBADFEED

Postby 0xBADFEED » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

Have you looked at yEd? I haven't used it in a long time but I remember it being pretty decent.

drunken

Postby drunken » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:25 am UTC

Thanks a lot guys, these suggestions are great. I am leaning towards VUE from the mind mapping ones at the moment but I'll see what it's like to use.
***This post is my own opinion and no claim is being made that it is in any way scientific nor intended to be construed as such by any reader***

kriel

Postby kriel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:02 pm UTC

I'm looking for something similar, however most of the mind mapping software that I'm coming across seems to be hierarchical (holy crap I spelled that right on the first try).

Ones that I'm impressed with are bubbl.us and mind42.com . bubbl.us allows me to have multiple parent nodes, but it's kinda ugly (I end up unlinking and relinking everything) and mind42.com won't let me have multiple parents at all.

While for a lot of ideas, this works well, it's really just a more spatial-aware outline. I'm looking for something that I can do full graphs on.

EDIT: I'm not looking for a lot of features. Something, preferably web-based, that allows me to link text nodes in a more-complicated-than-simple-hierarchy fashion.

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:01 pm UTC

I haven't tried it, but there is a google labs project that does something like that.

kriel

Postby kriel » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:40 pm UTC

found this, but it specifically says 'hierarchical data'

EDIT: was this what you were talking about?

Return to “The Help Desk”