Low-Level Video Editor?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

scikidus

Low-Level Video Editor?

Postby scikidus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:54 am UTC

I currently know of two programs that do very low level editing of movies, Quicktime Pro and Adobe Flash.

The former can cut, copy and paste videos together and save very quickly, along with adding masks and stuff (which I don't understand), but not much else. The latter can add animations on top of individual frames, but is incredibly slow for movies longer than ~10 seconds.

Basically, I'm asking if anyone knows of a video editor which would allow me to scroll and edit frame-by-frame as I like to, or let my own video/pictures/text move as I please on a layer above or under the video.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: what is the Audacity equivalent for video?
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

J the Ninja

Re: Low-Level Video Editor?

Postby J the Ninja » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:34 am UTC

Ok, first of all, neither of those are really video editors. Flash is a program for doing simple animations, mainly intended for web use. The video editing member of Creative Suite is Premiere. It's video graphics companion is After Effects. Quicktime Pro is really a video player that can tap some of the video editing features built into Quicktime, which are used by Apple's actual video editing products (iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Motion, Color, etc)

So to your question:

Short answer: It doesn't exist.

Longer answer: Your post about layers implied you are looking for multiple video tracks, aka compositing. This is not a consumer feature. Programs like iMovie or Movie Maker can add text and stuff to a video, but you have probably already investigated those. If you haven't, give them a try. If you are on Linux, you can give Cinelerra a whirl. I've never used it, but it seems like an actual attempt at making a half-decent pro-ish, open source video editor. If you are on OS X and not satisfied with iMovie, I'd recommend pulling some cash together for Final Cut Express ($200). If you are on Windows, look at Adobe Premiere Elements. It's around the same price, I believe.

So, to help you further: What OS are you running? What hardware do you have? How much are you willing to spend to get this program?

(lastly, let it be noted that Final Cut and Premiere are rather intimidating programs for someone who isn't quite sure what they are doing. Premiere Elements might have a more approachable UI, I've never looked into it. Final Cut Express is basically a slightly older version of Final Cut Pro, that is missing a few high-end features, like 24fps support. It also doesn't come with a suite of other awesome shit)
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:38 am UTC

J the Ninja wrote:Short answer: It doesn't exist.

OK, that's really the answer I was looking for. I kind of had this vision of where I could scrub through, copy, paste, export and import and edit frames in a timeline of a video, and then on top of that overlay several video streams or something. I don't know, I can dream.

For reference, I have a 24-inch iMac G5 running Leopard, and an HP nc6400 laptop running XP.

I'll also eventually get around to dual-booting Ubuntu on the iMac, but that's another topic. :P
Happy hollandaise!

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:54 am UTC

scikidus wrote:I kind of had this vision of where I could scrub through, copy, paste, export and import and edit frames in a timeline of a video, and then on top of that overlay several video streams or something. I don't know, I can dream.

Oh, such pieces of software most certainly exist. They are just not free, neither like speech or like beer. Like I said, look into Final Cut Express. Also, 24" G5? 24" screens weren't added until the Intel Aluminum iMacs. If you have an Intel mac, I'd definitely consider getting FCE.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Thu May 20, 2010 1:44 am UTC

Here's something I found which does a few of the things I'm trying to do. Now I just need to figure out how the hell to compile this stuff into the command line and I'm good to go :P

http://hackaday.com/2010/05/18/command- ... sing-foss/
Happy hollandaise!

Catscradler

Postby Catscradler » Sat May 22, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

Lightworks is going to go free and open source soon. It may be worth trying once it does.

lewis

Postby lewis » Fri May 28, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

Blender's Sequence Editor will do everything you want, in theory. I'm not sure how stable it is, and the documentation is pretty sparse, but it's there.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Sequencer
http://peter.schlaile.de/blender/sequencer/
http://www.blender.org/development/rele ... ce-editor/

Blender is awesome, so I'll forgive the links, but please read the rules at your earliest convenience. - Phlip

Return to “The Help Desk”