Folders not found (External HDD)

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

iddqd

Folders not found (External HDD)

Postby iddqd » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

So, I'm at my mom's place and I tried connecting my external HDD (WD My Book) to my her computer (Asus laptop with Windows Vista). The problem is that three of the folders can't be found. They're not hidden or anything and they don't show up when I type the path into the address bar. I tried using my sister's laptop had the same problem. I then booted using a Knoppix CD and everything worked.

Any ideas? The only thing I that these folders have in common (as far as I know) is that they all contain more than 10 GB.

keeperofdakeys

Re: Folders not found (External HDD)

Postby keeperofdakeys » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:03 am UTC

We'll need a bit more information than this, although I can guess some things. You are probably using a ntfs file system.
I would make sure that you aren't using any strange characters in the path names, also do they happen to be soft or hard links?
Also highlight all the viewable folders in windows and compare the size to the one reported in Properties, do the same in linux using df -h to check free space and du -sh /where/mounted to check space used.

I would backup this data, then try copying the files to a folder of a different name. If that doesn't work try a diskcheck in windows.
Also, before you plug the drive into knoppix, run tail -f /var/log/messages in a terminal (it will print out important messages from the kernel, like read errors etc.).

In the end a backup and reformat might be best.

Return to “The Help Desk”