Getting started on Interactive Fiction

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

mastered

Getting started on Interactive Fiction

Postby mastered » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

I recently discovered the world of IF and I am interested in learning to code my own games. I found TADS and just now Inform as programming languages, but I don't know if there are any more and which is best to start with and how, especially given that I don't have much programming knowledge at all. I took Pascal in middle school, and recently learnt some beginner's Actionscript (3.0), and I once tried to learn Objective-C, but I'm not really competent in anything. Can any of you help? Thank you!
Things are only impossible until they aren't. - Cpt. Picard

JayDee

Re: Getting started on Interactive Fiction

Postby JayDee » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:29 pm UTC

TADS and Inform and the main systems used in the community these days (accounting for about 80% of entries in the annual IfComp.) ADRIFT also gets some use.

TADS is a programming language much like C or Java, curly braces and all. Inform up to version 6 was similar.

Inform 7 is a different creature, with code more resembling English, and a very snazzy environment for writing in. Aaron Reed (who I see has just published his book on writing IF with inform 7) has a pretty good introductory video here (the Welcome Screencast.) The IDE is so nice to use, with coding, compiling, playing, testing, auto-documenting, refactoring all in the same interface. The natural language is a lot of fun to play around with also.

Two communities you might find helpful are the newsgroup rec.arts.int-fiction and the intfiction.org forum. They might seem low traffic, but most questions do look to get answers.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

mastered

Re: Getting started on Interactive Fiction

Postby mastered » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:19 am UTC

Oh, wow, thank you! Inform 7 looks really interesting.
Things are only impossible until they aren't. - Cpt. Picard

Return to “The Help Desk”