BIOS Issues...

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Korrente

BIOS Issues...

Postby Korrente » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

So I turned my computer on this morning and...that's all it did. Lights and fans kicked on, no BIOS.
I flashed a new version (ASUS's BIOS) a while back before I installed a new CPU. Ever since, the PC has had an issue where it won't boot the first time (like it's doing now) but after the restart button is pressed, everything is fine (occasionally it would bring a POST message up but it didn't really say anything). Now the restart button isn't doing anything.

I've replaced the battery and reset the CMOS of course, I've tried booting without cards plugged in, I've tried booting without HDD's plugged in, nothing is working. What's kind of odd is that the keyboard and mouse (both USB) don't show any activity where they would normally light up after a few seconds. USB drives aren't coming on either. However, I have a phone plugged into a USB slot, so I at least know power is still getting to them. I know the keyboard/mouse com online when they're being checked for by the BIOS but even during the cycle I described above, they would at least light up on the first try, even though the BIOS never loaded.

Other than that quirk, nothing else is out of the ordinary. All the cards are online as far as I can tell, the HDD's and CD drive spin up and the CPU fan is even regulating itself.

Also it may be worth noting that I've never reset the CMOS before on this particular PC, and the jumpers were on 2 and 3. Not sure what this means in my case since everything was working mostly fine.

Any ideas? Please don't tell me I need a new motherboard...

Win 7 64bit
AMD Phenom II 940 3GHz x4
Nvidia EVGA GTX 275
2 x 2GB Corsair CMX RAM
2 x 1GB Corsair CMX RAM
Antec 550W PSU
250GB HDD
500GB HDD
Creative Sound Blaster Something-or-Another
Hauppauge Tuner Card
Last edited by Korrente on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kromix

Re: BIOS Issues...

Postby Kromix » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

Check is teh PCE cards are properly seated, might sound odd, but i had a computer once not booting because the PCIs where a bit off and not connecting properly. just something to check...
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:

Noth

Postby Noth » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:15 am UTC

Have you tried removing RAM and making sure you get a system beep? Removing the RAM and or CPU should get a system beep out of your motherboard, if it doesnt then it could mean either the speaker attached to your motherboard is busted or the motherboard itself is toast.

I would try would be a different graphics card. If your motherboard has one built in then try removing your card and just plug into that, otherwise beg one from a mate. If possible find an old style PS/2 keyboard since some BIOS's have issues with USB.

Post before is correct, I've had the same issue before occuring because a card wasnt seated correctly.

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:45 pm UTC

I have an asus motherboard and one day the entire thing carked itself. I ended up having to hold a special key-combination while the install cd was in and it did a TOTAL restore of the bios back to factory condition.
Was the bios upgrade required for the new cpu?

Korrente

Postby Korrente » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

Thanks for helping guys but I believe I've cornered the problem. My PSU isn't grounding properly, and I believe that's causing the motherboard to not boot. I knew it was about at capacity when I bought my CPU and gfx card, but I didn't think it was drawing enough to hurt it. Could have been bad parts, or maybe it was just its time to go. I've ordered a new one, we'll see if it fixes.

Return to “The Help Desk”