iPod giving me a headache

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Lime

iPod giving me a headache

Postby Lime » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:15 pm UTC

Alright, here's the issue. A few weeks ago, I was at a party, and my iPod was plugged into one of those radio docks so we could listen to music. Somebody wanted to put their music on, so they yanked mine out and put theirs in. When I grabbed my iPod a few minutes later, it said that I had no music, videos, pictures, ect on it, yet there was 0kb free on it. Also it was very cold out. I'm not sure which factor here caused the problem, whether it was the dock, or being yanked out mid-song, or even the cold.

Normally I'd just plug it in, restore it, and get back to business. However, there's an issue here. My main computer is running Ubuntu 10.04, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get iTunes to work with it, what with the whole Wine thing. Then there's the family laptop, running XP, but it's so riddled with viruses that it's literally nonfunctional. I plugged my iPod into it and it gave me the option to restore it, but when I clicked yes, it froze up. Now when I try to open iTunes on that computer, it says it's missing quicktime, and I'm unable to download or install a new copy of it. Finally, there's my old monolith of a desktop, running windows XP, but unable to connect to the internet. When I plug my iPod in, the computer recognises it, but iTunes does not. Last night, I tried on a friend's computer to restore it, but it didn't recognise it at all. Any help to get my iPod back to working order would be greatly appreciated.

In summary, my 80 gig iPod Classic shows that there is no content on it, despite saying that it is completely full. How fix?

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Re: iPod giving me a headache

Postby Dthen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:03 pm UTC

Doesn't RhythmBox support iPods by default?...
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:23 am UTC

Mostly your database file got screwed.

(The following instructions have not been tried, I only have a touch)

Plug it into the Linux box and browse it in nautilus. In ipod_control/itunes (or something like that) there'll be a file called itunesDB, rename it to itunesDB.something and rename the existing iTunesDB.old to iTunesDB (no extension). Check if your songs come back.
I write a blog rant here.

Lime

Postby Lime » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:11 am UTC

archeleus wrote:Mostly your database file got screwed.

(The following instructions have not been tried, I only have a touch)

Plug it into the Linux box and browse it in nautilus. In ipod_control/itunes (or something like that) there'll be a file called itunesDB, rename it to itunesDB.something and rename the existing iTunesDB.old to iTunesDB (no extension). Check if your songs come back.

Didn't work. My computer isn't picking up that it's plugged in.

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

iPod diagnostic mode?

Lime

Postby Lime » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:32 pm UTC

keeperofdakeys wrote:iPod diagnostic mode?

I'm intrigued. More information?

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:03 am UTC

Try googling the phrase "ipod diagnostic mode". It is a debug menu that you can get too by holding special keys, there may be something that will help in there.

Return to “The Help Desk”