Computer problem: My step-dad changed the language

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

RoarkIsAwesome

Computer problem: My step-dad changed the language

Postby RoarkIsAwesome » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:00 am UTC

Ok so here's the background information. I had a problem about a week ago where I needed to type in chinese on word. I told my step-dad about this, and he said he'd check it out. The next day I was able to figure it out myself (control panel, format, Chinese PRC). Then while I was in school, he took the computer and 'fixed the problem'. Now my browser (google chrome) and google (possibly other websites, but not xkcd) are in Chinese Mandarin characters. I'm not nearly fluent enough be able to use or even understand my tools or settings. Is there anyway to fix this? Worst case scenario, the best thing I can think of is screen-capping the tools menu and sending the picture to a chinese friend and going back and forth that way, with him helping me through it. Hoping anyone here can help.

Tl;dr: Google is in chinese help me fix it.

Jplus

Re: Computer problem: My step-dad changed the language

Postby Jplus » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:20 am UTC

Ask your step-dad what he did and try to undo his steps in reverse order?
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

RoarkIsAwesome

Postby RoarkIsAwesome » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:24 am UTC

I don't have a phone and I don't know his E-mail.

Korrente

Postby Korrente » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:16 am UTC

Get another computer and compare the lists in the menus?

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:42 am UTC

Google is in chinese help me fix it.

Go to google.com.hk and click on the go to google.com in english.

Too lazy for that?

http://google.com/ncr
I write a blog rant here.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:31 am UTC

That'll fix the website, but it won't fix the browser... the browser's still going to be displayed in Chinese, and reporting that it wants to use Chinese to other websites that do content negotiation.

Question: is it just Chrome that's doing this? Or your whole computer?

If it's just Chrome, go to the main menu (the little spanner icon) and into Options (it's the fourth item from the bottom - bottom one is Exit, then above that there's a group of 3, which are Options, About and Help). Go to the last tab ("Under the Bonnet", in English), and scroll down. Under the second heading ("Web Content", in English) click the first of the two buttons ("Change font and language settings"). Second tab in the popup ("Languages"). There should be a list of all the languages used for websites, then below that two drop-downs: first for the spellchecker language, and second for the language for Chrome itself. Go to that last dropdown, and choose English from the list (it will probably say "English" in Chinese, then a dash, then "English" in English). When you pick it, it'll pop up a box that says you need to close all the windows and restart Chrome for it to take effect. Hit OK and Close buttons until everything's gone, then restart Chrome. Should be back in English. Then you can go back into that window and rearrange the language preference order for websites, to get Google (and other multilingual sites) back into English.

If it's your whole computer, bring up the Run prompt (Winkey+R) and run "intl.cpl"... that'll bring up the Region and Language control panel applet. Find an English version on Google Images that you can have to compare and see which field is which... I can't give you the same detailed step-by-step instructions unless I know what version of Windows you have...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Return to “The Help Desk”