Installing Starcraft 2 on Ubuntu

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Lime

Installing Starcraft 2 on Ubuntu

Postby Lime » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

I'm attempting to install Starcraft 2 on my computer right now. I'm using this guide- http://www.clockworkhare.com/2010/07/penguin-post-how-to-install-starcraft-2-on-linuxwine-if-you-get-weird-permissions-issues.html, but I'm stuck at step three. When I type in sudo cp -r /media/cdrom0/* ~/Desktop/Starcraft, it says that /home/lime/desktop/starcraft is not a directory. I've definitely created a folder on my desktop named Starcraft. What am I doing wrong here? Is there a better method to install Starcraft 2 on Ubuntu? Would it even work well with it?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: Installing Starcraft 2 on Ubuntu

Postby phlip » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:18 am UTC

Remember that filenames in Linux are case-sensitive... is the folder in ~/desktop/starcraft or ~/Desktop/Starcraft? And which one are you typing in the command?

I had SC2 working under Ubuntu a while back, but it eventually stopped working... I'm not sure what changed, but the sound was horrible... choppy, delayed, and cutting out at inconvenient times. Probably because Ubuntu out-of-the-box uses pulseaudio, and wine doesn't support that yet. Eventually it got so bad that I just gave up and went back to playing it under Windows. But maybe you'll have better luck.

Also: those instructions probably won't be enough... that'll get you the installer, but you also need to install a bunch of supporting libraries... this says how to do that.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Lime

Postby Lime » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:20 am UTC

Huh. Why did I not think of that? Thanks, I'm a bit of a noob at Linux, I'm only using it cause my windows up and died on me. But I'm slowly starting to like it better than Vista. Thank you for your help, I'll let you know if I need more.

Oh, it says it'll take 10 minutes or so for it to finish copying. How will I know when it's done? The terminal doesn't seem any different, and I can still type things into it.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:50 am UTC

When it's finished, you'll get the prompt back... the "user@host:dir$" thing that you type commands at (exactly what it says can vary, but that's the default prompt for Ubuntu, and most linuxes I've used).

You can see the sort of thing I'm talking about if you bring up another terminal and run "sleep 3"... when you hit enter, it'll sit there for 3 seconds, and then show the prompt again for the next command.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Lime

Postby Lime » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:44 am UTC

Alright, I've installed it and I can run it with no issues, save for the fact that it can't run as well as in windows. Whatever, it runs fine in low.

Return to “The Help Desk”