Old laptop, options/possibilities?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Nubsy

Old laptop, options/possibilities?

Postby Nubsy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

So, I have come upon an old laptop. Like really old. It's a Dell Latitude CSx. It has a PIII, and win98, but no CD drive, floppy, one USB (which it's too old to boot from), and the only networking it has is an expansion card, xJack or something. It's not ethernet, its actually more like a telephone cord size. (it may actually be the same adapter, it has two contacts rather than the 8 or something contacts of ethernet).

First, how exactly would I connect this to the interwebs, I've never seen something like this. And then, what can I do with this thing? Any project ideas? Keep in mind, the HDD is only 6.5gb.
Side effects include EXTREME AWESOMENESS.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Re: Old laptop, options/possibilities?

Postby The EGE » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:10 pm UTC

If you can get an internet connection, then play Nethack! If you can't, then transfer the binary via USB; I believe 3.4.3 (current version) should be able to run on a computer that old, but I am not sure.

Otherwise... hmm. Perhaps install some sort of linux, Damn Small Linux perhaps.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

hintss

Postby hintss » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:36 pm UTC

its probably a modem. also, I have an old laptop, networking and sound broke, currently running windows XP (orriginally came with 2000). what should I do with it. it has 2 USB jacks, not bootable. also, a floppy drive and a CD drive.

Killamus

Postby Killamus » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:43 pm UTC

Throw Ubuntu Server ed. on it, set it up with a LAMP server then gogo filehost.

That's what I did. Also set up another laptop with a busted screen with a Win2003 server so I can RDC into my network (Beats using VNC :/)

Korrente

Postby Korrente » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:41 am UTC

Killamus wrote:Throw Ubuntu Server ed. on it, set it up with a LAMP server then gogo filehost.

That's what I did. Also set up another laptop with a busted screen with a Win2003 server so I can RDC into my network (Beats using VNC :/)

This.

Also I feel old knowing there are people who don't know what a modem jack looks like... Go call NetZero and make their day.

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:45 am UTC

Korrente wrote:
Killamus wrote:Throw Ubuntu Server ed. on it, set it up with a LAMP server then gogo filehost.

This.

Also I feel old knowing there are people who don't know what a modem jack looks like... Go call NetZero and make their day.

If only there were still dial-in BBSes

Return to “The Help Desk”