Clock is slow in Windows

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

kernelpanic

Clock is slow in Windows

Postby kernelpanic » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:32 pm UTC

My clock is very slow in my computer when I use Windows 7. The clock's "seconds" actually take 1.5 - 2.5 s, and it doesn't happen in Ubuntu or the BIOS setup screen (so it isn't a hardware issue). Also possibly related (but I don't think it is because the problem started before) is that my BIOS recently failed. A message popped up saying something like "BIOS checksum error. Stand By for auto recovery", and now it works just fine. Everything else is perfectly usable, and I haven't done any major hardware or software changes recently. What could it be?
Thanks.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

keeperofdakeys

Re: Clock is slow in Windows

Postby keeperofdakeys » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

Has the computer still got the right time when you check it in the bios, or Ubuntu? (Ubuntu may internet time, maybe Windows as well). It would be interesting to know whether the slowness is the clock going slow, or just being shown slow.

If you are worried about the bios, you could try updating it. It was probably recovered from one of those 'dual bios' chips.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:56 am UTC

keeperofdakeys wrote:Has the computer still got the right time when you check it in the bios, or Ubuntu? (Ubuntu may internet time, maybe Windows as well). It would be interesting to know whether the slowness is the clock going slow, or just being shown slow.

If you are worried about the bios, you could try updating it. It was probably recovered from one of those 'dual bios' chips.

Both OSs get the time from the Internet. In windows it doesn't matter what time server I use, and when I update it it shows the right time, but in slo-mo. The time in Ubuntu and the BIOS is correct to within 5 seconds.That's why I don't think it's the hardware, and why an update won't help.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:23 am UTC

Try replacing the mobo's battery, and see if that helps.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Return to “The Help Desk”