Bad Pool Header when installing RAM

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Lime

Bad Pool Header when installing RAM

Postby Lime » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:56 am UTC

I just bought 2 1 gig sticks of ram to replace the 512 mb sticks in my computer. I've got this one right here- http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=2629

I chose that site because it specifically mentions what kind of RAM it has-
"It also carries 3GB of PC5300 DDR2-667 dual channel memory"

So I bought 2 sticks of DDR2 PC5300/4200 (667/533MHz) ram. The only ones left were "gb micro" brand. One of the sticks is regular size, the other is smaller but has the same package and the label on it says the same thing as the other one. Anyway, so I opened up my computer, grounded myself, pulled out my old sticks, and inserted my new ones. When I turned on my computer, an error message popped up, and then I got a BSOD. So I restarted a few times, pulled out the sticks and tested them individually, and got a BSOD telling me I had a Bad Pool Header error. I figure it has something to do with the RAM. DId I do something wrong here? I made sure I got the right type of memory. And it's not like I've never worked on my computer before- I installed my graphics card and wireless card myself, as well as a hard drive. What's going on?

Carnildo

Re: Bad Pool Header when installing RAM

Postby Carnildo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:12 am UTC

Run Memtest86+. It'll tell you if the RAM is defective or not.

Lime

Postby Lime » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:57 am UTC

Can I run that without logging in?

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:59 am UTC

Lime wrote:Can I run that without logging in?
Yes. Generally, you'd burn it to a disc, or install to a bootable USB drive, and load/run it before the OS loads.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Return to “The Help Desk”