wifi problems

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

natey

wifi problems

Postby natey » Sun May 08, 2011 5:13 am UTC

My computer has started to say that it has no wifi card, meaning I usually have an icon for wired connections and an icon for wireless connections but since yesterday the wifi option has entirely disappeared. How can I fix this? I tried a system restore but that only helped for an hour, and I have run two viris scans with avast and nothing has turned up.

I will be happy to give any additional info that you ask for.

Thanks in advance

T3CHN0CR4T

Re: wifi problems

Postby T3CHN0CR4T » Mon May 09, 2011 8:29 am UTC

I'm guessing you're using a laptop right? Are you sure you haven't accidentally disabled your card? (Function key + f2 or similar key combination usually does it)

I know I've done that a few times because I use my functions keys all the time to change volume and brightness etc and it's pretty easy to accidentally click the wrong key.

Other than that perhaps your card is faulty, if so you're best to just buy a new one and replace it yourself rather than trying to repair it.

Not really sure if there's any other plausible explanations...Maybe some software has disabled it?? Either way, just go to Networks and Sharing > Change Adapter Settings and check that it's enabled and set to the right settings.

Hope that helps :)
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Kromix

Postby Kromix » Mon May 09, 2011 1:43 pm UTC

i have also seen some computers completely lose the wifi cards after coming back from sleep mode. off thing but reboot fixes that, or not putting it to sleep mode, or not letting the computer turn off the card to save power.
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:

yewbie

Postby yewbie » Mon May 09, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

Also depending on your laptop if your or anyone else has accessed the area on the bottom to change/mess with ram, battery, hard drive... Pretty much any of the plates on models the wireless card is extremely easy (too easy imo) to unplug.

Generally people end up unplugging the antenna plugs, but I have seen people who have dislodged the card itself.

If your using windows have you checked your device manager? you may have to just remove it and let it reinstall it.

arbyd

Postby arbyd » Tue May 10, 2011 2:25 am UTC

The wireless adapter shows as failed on some laptops with NVIDIA faulty system chips sets. There was a class action suit, unfortunately the deadline for filing a claim has passed. The affected models can be found here:
http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/pdfs/NVF_NOT.pdf

I hope this is not your problem. If it is, you might try using an external (pcmcia or usb) wireless adapter.

natey

Postby natey » Tue May 10, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

well the wireless card missing is the least of my worries now, my laptop appears to be bricked.

when I hold down the power button I hear some of the parts whirring as usual but the monitor doesn't turn on and the power button doesn't glow like it used to. I'm able to open the CD tray but that's about it.

I think the bios is corrupted now, but I'm really really hoping that it's not.
anyone got other ideas I can try before I give up

yewbie

Postby yewbie » Tue May 10, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

Sounds like what happened to my HP :/
As mentioned above there was a class action lawsuit, I won't see mine for another 4-6 weeks :(

natey

Postby natey » Tue May 10, 2011 10:05 pm UTC

after a few hours with the tech help they're sending someone to replace the mother board. makes me happier

Return to “The Help Desk”