dell sevice

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

natey

dell sevice

Postby natey » Sat May 14, 2011 10:59 pm UTC

just to be sure- dell doesn't check the hard drive for pirated software when you send a laptop in to be repaired, right?

_Axle_

Re: dell sevice

Postby _Axle_ » Sat May 14, 2011 11:16 pm UTC

1) Why do you have pirated software on your machine?

2) I never owned a Dell and don't know their exact repair protocol, though I doubt they go through your system for legal software. They probably just make sure it boots back up after the hardware swap. if its a hard drive fix, they probably just try and image your old drive and put it on the new, without checking.
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.

natey

Postby natey » Sat May 14, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

I downloaded one piece (an adobie software) in a desperate attempt to finish a school project on time, I just never got around to uninstalling it and now am freaking out a little because my laptop won't turn on. well it does turn on but only for enough time to get to the login screen if I'm very very lucky

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Sun May 15, 2011 12:16 am UTC

natey wrote:I downloaded one piece (an adobie software) in a desperate attempt to finish a school project on time, I just never got around to uninstalling it and now am freaking out a little because my laptop won't turn on. well it does turn on but only for enough time to get to the login screen if I'm very very lucky

I truly doubt they are going to scan your hard drive and call up the police/adobe/fbi to get you in trouble. I am sure they get much worse cases than a single pirated program. Though, for future... if you are caught in this kind of situation, think of ways to avoid being in it :)
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.

natey

Postby natey » Sun May 15, 2011 12:34 am UTC

notably uninstall once I'm out of the danger of failing my class? :wink:

sircrayons

Postby sircrayons » Sun May 15, 2011 1:12 am UTC

natey wrote:notably uninstall once I'm out of the danger of failing my class? :wink:

I think you've missed the message.
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."

natey

Postby natey » Sun May 15, 2011 2:30 am UTC

sircrayons wrote:
natey wrote:notably uninstall once I'm out of the danger of failing my class? :wink:

I think you've missed the message.

I think you've missed the joke :P

I was kidding, I know what he was saying.

yewbie

Postby yewbie » Mon May 16, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

Most laptop harddrives now adays just have a little connector on them, they are usually fully functional sata hard drives you can put into any machine that is sata capable.

edit: Even if dell decided to tell adobe I really doubt they would invest the time to do anything about it other than telling you to stop and get a student copy of whatever your trying to do for $15.

Kromix

Postby Kromix » Mon May 16, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

i wonder why you had to pirate it, Adobe lets you download their software and try it for free. if it was spur of the moment, you should have gone in that direction... i had to do that with dreamweaver once because the class would not allow my komodo knock off.... :)
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:

Return to “The Help Desk”