Father has blocked League of Legends

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

River11
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:46 pm UTC

Father has blocked League of Legends

Postby River11 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:50 pm UTC

My friends father has blocked league of legends on my friends computer. We are both computadorically illiterate. A long time ago when I got curious as to who wrote the comics on xkcd I checked out this community and thought this was a rather coherent and intelligent group of people on the internet. So if anyone is willing to help me help my friend, I would greatly appreciate it. His father is using "Trend Micro" and when he opens league of legends and attempts to play, the service status is undefined (and the play button is greyed out).

Derek
Posts: 2181
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Father has blocked League of Legends

Postby Derek » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:16 am UTC

Tell your friend to ask his father why he blocked it and what your friend can do so that he will unblock it.

User avatar
Kirby
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:08 pm UTC

Re: Father has blocked League of Legends

Postby Kirby » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:23 am UTC

Derek wrote:Tell your friend to ask his father why he blocked it and what your friend can do so that he will unblock it.


This. We're not here to undermine parental authority.

If you like, you could have your friend suggest to his father that he only block LoL during certain times of the day, and leave a set amount of time to play. Come back if your friend's father needs help configuring that set-up.

Moose Hole
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:34 pm UTC

Re: Father has blocked League of Legends

Postby Moose Hole » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:22 pm UTC


yewbie
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Father has blocked League of Legends

Postby yewbie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

Also LoL has been getting DDos'd recently by some people who I refuse to mention their name. And has been down a few times.

Chosen++
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:34 pm UTC

Re: Father has blocked League of Legends

Postby Chosen++ » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:38 am UTC

Kirby wrote:
Derek wrote:Tell your friend to ask his father why he blocked it and what your friend can do so that he will unblock it.


This. We're not here to undermine parental authority.

If you like, you could have your friend suggest to his father that he only block LoL during certain times of the day, and leave a set amount of time to play. Come back if your friend's father needs help configuring that set-up.


But are we here to just let something happen, if it has no purpose or doesn't serve anything?

User avatar
Kirby
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:08 pm UTC

Re: Father has blocked League of Legends

Postby Kirby » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:29 am UTC

Chosen++ wrote:
Kirby wrote:
Derek wrote:Tell your friend to ask his father why he blocked it and what your friend can do so that he will unblock it.


This. We're not here to undermine parental authority.

If you like, you could have your friend suggest to his father that he only block LoL during certain times of the day, and leave a set amount of time to play. Come back if your friend's father needs help configuring that set-up.


But are we here to just let something happen, if it has no purpose or doesn't serve anything?


That's irrelevant. Blocking League of Legends (as with other video games) does have a purpose.

User avatar
Grav
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:45 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Father has blocked League of Legends

Postby Grav » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

Kirby wrote:
Derek wrote:Tell your friend to ask his father why he blocked it and what your friend can do so that he will unblock it.


This. We're not here to undermine parental authority.

If you like, you could have your friend suggest to his father that he only block LoL during certain times of the day, and leave a set amount of time to play. Come back if your friend's father needs help configuring that set-up.


Don't speak for everyone, we're all not the morality police of the internet :roll: . If I had the background, I would have helped. :D
That's about as witty as something not witty.

River11
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:46 pm UTC

Re: Father has blocked League of Legends

Postby River11 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

The father is being unreasonable, he refused to sign a loan for my friend to attend college and is forcing him to attend a community college for two (should be three as he is pre-engineering, but he got credit for some AP's) years. I thought that was unfair, I guess i should not have asked for help undercutting his authority though. Thanks anyways, my friend figured out a way around it

Drumheller769
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 7:46 pm UTC
Location: ♞♞♞

Re: Father has blocked League of Legends

Postby Drumheller769 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

wut?
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

yewbie
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Father has blocked League of Legends

Postby yewbie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

60 days later, I don't think its that unreasonable for him to not co-sign a loan.
From what I hear its very hard to *NOT* get a student loan even with the economy the way it is.

Your friend could feel free to get an apartment then he could setup his internet how he pleases.

webgiant
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

Re: Father has blocked League of Legends

Postby webgiant » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:34 pm UTC

yewbie wrote:60 days later, I don't think its that unreasonable for him to not co-sign a loan.
From what I hear its very hard to *NOT* get a student loan even with the economy the way it is.

Your friend could feel free to get an apartment then he could setup his internet how he pleases.

Just for the record, it is hard to get a federal student loan high enough to pay for a four-year college, having recently applied for financial aid myself to return to college (hint: "Weeds" is not the real world), and so his claim that he needed a signature on a loan is quite reasonable for a four-year institution. He probably maxed out his subsidized and unsubsidized loan amounts and needed a private loan as well. It sounds like parental income may have played a part in him needing a private loan, and when your parents are well-off and refuse to provide any direct financial support themselves, you often need to get a loan outside the federal loan and grant system.

However, there's nothing wrong with a two-year institution (disclaimer: thats the type of college I'm attending), and if he demonstrates good performance on the two-year college his father may well reconsider and sign a loan for him to finish a four-year degree. Sometimes parents don't like the past performance of their student and want to see a new, better past performance before they'll co-sign a loan.

It sounds like him getting an apartment is a suggestion not entirely unlike "let them eat cake". For the same reasons she allegedly said it, mind you: not to be mean, but to suggest what she'd do if she didn't have bread to eat. In this economy, of course.


Return to “The Help Desk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests