How to expand the range of integers in C++?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Noetherium

How to expand the range of integers in C++?

Postby Noetherium » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:04 am UTC

Hey, everyone.

I hope you can help me. I'm currently stuck with Problem 14 from
http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=problems&id=14
. As soon as my program evaluates 113383, it seems to be stuck in an infinite loop (That also appears later at other numbers if I exclude 113383). I suppose that this is due to an integer overflow in the corresponding Collatz sequence.
I'm working with C++, Windows XP 32-bit, Bloodshed Dev-C++ Vers. 4.9.9.2. Is there any way to expand the range of the corresponding integer variable (i.e. assign more bytes to it)? Else, what can I do to avoid this problem (I have already tried using "unsigned long int").

Regards,

Leon

zed0

Re: How to expand the range of integers in C++?

Postby zed0 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:29 am UTC

Having done this problem myself I didn't have problems with overflow if I just used long ints everywhere, are you sure that overflows are your problem?

Noetherium

Postby Noetherium » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:18 am UTC

Actually, yes. I've written a second short program that just shows the Collatz sequence of the input number, and at some point, the numbers are getting negative. I don't see how this can occur without integer overflow. Just for additional details, here is the function I use to compute the next element (which is indeed the Collatz function):

Code: Select all

int Collatz(int Zahl)
{
    int Ergebnis;
    if(Zahl%2==1)
    {
                 Ergebnis=3*Zahl+1;
    }
    else
    {
    Ergebnis=Zahl/2;
    }
    return Ergebnis;
}

EDIT: Yep, 827370449 is followed by -1812855948. This is integer overflow, isn't it?

Robert'); DROP TABLE *;

Postby Robert'); DROP TABLE *; » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:06 pm UTC

Yes, Collatz(827370449) produces a value 32 bits long, the most significant being a 1, hence your overflow. You can patch it by returning a uint instead, and also try "unsigned long long," but you're probably better to find an arbitrary-precision arithmetic library to fix it totally.
...And that is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.

Return to “The Help Desk”