Diaspora on shared hosts

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Arancaytar

Diaspora on shared hosts

Postby Arancaytar » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:19 am UTC

Ever since hearing about it (on xkcd or Slashdot, can't remember) I've occasionally tried to give Diaspora a go. While there are some public servers where you can register without much effort, the whole point of decentralization for me is that you can install and run a server under your own control.
With some difficulty, I've now reached the point where I can run the server on my laptop and publish the address with dynamic DNS, but my laptop is obviously not a good choice for a server. Most of my web stuff is usually hosted on a shared server at DreamHost.
The problem is that, as on most shared hosts, all scripts there are supposed to run through Apache via CGI, and persistent processes aren't allowed. Diaspora wants to run persistently as its own webserver.

Has anyone here solved a similar problem? I suppose if Diaspora can't be hacked to run non-persistently, my other options are to pay for VPS (memory-dependent cost, but at likely around $200 per year still too much to justify) or to try setting the server up on an old desktop PC...
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Arancaytar

Re: Diaspora on shared hosts

Postby Arancaytar » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:43 pm UTC

I've put it on my own computer now, using dynamic DNS. It seems to work well so far, though I haven't yet tried actually interacting with any other users.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Return to “The Help Desk”