Trying out unity & mutter freezes

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Arancaytar

Trying out unity & mutter freezes

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:43 am UTC

I'm still using Ubuntu 10.10, and haven't been able to decide whether to switch to Mint (for Gnome 3) or upgrade to 11.04 (for Unity) (edit: or to upgrade to 11.04 and then switch to Gnome, which seems to be feasible). The easiest and least irreversible step appears to be to first install Unity alongside gnome, and then try it out as an alternate session (as far as I can tell, the alternate session is labeled "Ubuntu Netbook Edition" in 10.10).

I can actually log in and get Unity to start (all the panels load) and work for most of a minute, but then it will suddenly freeze up. I can only log out by switching to a tty with C+M+F1 and killing the Xorg process.

While in the console, I can also see that there is a mutter process taking up 100% cpu, which cannot be killed (not even with kill -9). Logging into Unity again starts a second mutter process, which suffers the same fate, and the only way I can get rid of these processes is to completely restart the system. I gather that mutter is to Unity roughly what compiz is to Gnome, but I don't know why this would happen.

Any ideas what is wrong there?
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Arancaytar

Re: Trying out unity & mutter freezes

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

I suppose this bug is limited to 10.10, as I have now installed a live disk with 11.04 which works okay.

The live disk had a dozen problems on its own, which cost me some hours to get right, but at least the desktop seems to work.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Return to “The Help Desk”