Finding a new RSS reader.

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Peregrine

Finding a new RSS reader.

Postby Peregrine » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:40 am UTC

I've been using Google Reader for years to support my webcomic/-novel/-series addiction habit, using the Next bookmark feature. My primary problem is that Google Reader has no way of switching to a first-in first-out ordering of new items, which can lead to messiness when authors post multiple chapters or pages in quick succession. So far I've just been ignoring that issue, but as the Next bookmark has gotten slower and more buggy recently (500 errors that occasionally marks all items as read), I thought I might take this opportunity to look for a better solution.

Ideally I'm looking for something that opens the actual webpage in a browser (preferably Firefox rather than the reader's own browser) with minimum fuss and supports FIFO ordering. I've tried searching myself, but have found no RSS readers that mention FIFO. Any general reviews I've found all seem to be 4 or 5 years old.
Never let yourself be drawn into false trichotomies.

EvanED

Re: Finding a new RSS reader.

Postby EvanED » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

Huh? Something wrong with "view settings -> sort by oldest"? (Besides that 500 bug.)

Peregrine

Re: Finding a new RSS reader.

Postby Peregrine » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:02 am UTC

Sorting by oldest (or "magic") only changes how they appear in Google Reader, not what order they come out of the bookmark feature.
Never let yourself be drawn into false trichotomies.

Return to “The Help Desk”