Hard Drive Cleaning

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

tzar1990

Hard Drive Cleaning

Postby tzar1990 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:15 am UTC

I have a mildly obsolete computer sitting around, and I want to take it in to a local charity that helps provide people who need a computer but can't afford one with a cheap option. Unfortunately, my Dad used this computer for work a few years ago, and he saved some confidential files on it. I've deleted everything, but he's concerned that the person who buys the computer might be savvy enough to get an undeleter and go digging through the hard drive.

In order to get this computer out of here, is there a program that can go through your hard drive and overwrite the space containing the deleted files so that they're pretty much irrecoverable? These files aren't super important (it's not military/political secrets or anything), but I should try to be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes

PhoenixEnigma

Re: Hard Drive Cleaning

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:26 am UTC

I'm pretty sure Eraser has an option to overwrite all empty drive space, which is probably what you're looking for. If you want to be safer and spend a little more time, you could also run DBAN across the entire drive and reinstall the OS.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Return to “The Help Desk”