Kindle Hacking

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Burgerman

Kindle Hacking

Postby Burgerman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

I've been getting lots of sleep lately and drinking absurd amounts of coffee, and I've been having some pretty great ideas about stuff I could do. things like programming a game for my friend as a graduation present, making a wristband flashlight like the ones in ST:Voyager, trying to case mod a usb drive, and drilling a hole in the passenger side wall of the trunk of my car and putting in a camera so I can see if there's a car coming before I back out into the road.

The most intriguing idea I've had, though, is if it would be possible to remove the 3G modem from a kindle and use it to tether to. I understand that this would be in violation of the Kindle's terms of service, and have no plans on doing it in the near future ( I Promise! I like my kindle too much to tear it apart). I'm just curious to know if it would work and what would be required to make it work. Just out of curiosity.

EDIT::
On second thought, this might be better in hardware. Please move the topic if it's necessary.

zed0

Re: Kindle Hacking

Postby zed0 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

This is currently possible to do just by connecting your Kindle to your computer via USB.
The latest Kindle version is 3.2.1 for which there is a recently updated (without the need for the old timing hack) jailbreak on Yifan Lu's website.

Once you have installed the jailbreak you can install quite a lot of packages for things like screensavers and terminals. The one you want is the usb-network hack (linked to on the mobileread forums), this will allow you to connect your kindle as a network device.
From here there are more instructions on the mobileread forums for how to ssh or telnet to your Kindle.

As you now have root access and network access it should be reasonably easy to use your Kindle as a proxy for your computer.
It's worth noting that Whispernet only allows traffic to your Kindle on web ports (80 and 443 IIRC) and filters them through Amazon's servers so if you want SSH etc you'll have to put it through a web port.

As you say however this is against the Amazon T&C and shouldn't be done. ¬_¬

Burgerman

Re: Kindle Hacking

Postby Burgerman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

All right, so it can indeed be done. I suppose it would be good in emergencies, but then the kindle's browser would probably be fine for that though.
At least I wouldn't have to tear out the modem to tether though, so that's good. It's going to be hard to resist using the kindle as a proxy though, darn terms and conditions...

Oh well, I'm usually in range of a router anyway. Thanks for the links, I'll take a look at the other stuff there later on tonight.

Return to “The Help Desk”