Difficulty using Dvorak keyboards (SOLVED)

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Rwm28juni

Difficulty using Dvorak keyboards (SOLVED)

Postby Rwm28juni » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

Hey all,
I recently started using the Dvorak keyboard instead of QWERTY. Now, at home this is no issue, but at school it's a different story. Using Novell they have blocked access to pretty much everything (though I don't know about batch files), and the BIOS is messed up, and so on, and so on. They also blocked the language tool (It's on Windows XP) and so I can't change my keyboard to Dvorak. This would be fine if it weren't for the fact that I now suck at QWERTY. I don't know whether it'd be better for me to try and keep up my QWERTY skills, for now I'm just trying to get Dvorak working. Since the system obviously doesn't allow it, is there a way to specify it just for either Microsoft Office or OpenOffice, and a web browser? That is, is there a setting with which I can choose Dvorak within the program itself?
Last edited by Rwm28juni on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

EvanED

Re: Difficulty using Dvorak keyboards

Postby EvanED » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

Most programs, no. You could, however, try downloading Autohotkey and this script (at home), use AHK to turn that script into an executable, and run that at school. That may work.

This program might be easier though. I'd try that first.

yewbie

Postby yewbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

Be aware that you if don't have permission from your school and you change something like this they could try to prosecute/discipline you for "hacking".
I know its completely ridiculous but I have seen people expelled for doing similar things because of zero tolerance policies.

Rwm28juni

Postby Rwm28juni » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

Thanks Evan, I'll try that.
Yewbie, I should look out, but they have never had any issues with similar things either. AFAIK they won't expel me for this. Plus, as far as I can tell, the entire network (for +/- 1400 students and 100 computers) is run by one guy who has to make do with terrible hardware.

yewbie

Postby yewbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

Rwm28juni wrote: the entire network (for +/- 1400 students and 100 computers) is run by one guy who has to make do with terrible hardware.

Haha that sounds like almost every school I have been to =)
Always good to make friends with that guy.

Anonymously Famous

Postby Anonymously Famous » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

I looked at the AHK forum link, and it shouldn't get you into any trouble. The script just sends a virtual "Dvorak" keystroke for every "Qwerty" keystroke. As long as you have AHK on your USB key and terminate the script before you leave the computer, you should be fine.

zed0

Postby zed0 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:05 pm UTC

I used Colemak for a little over a year and found that Portable Keyboard Layout was a great bit of software, it essentially another AHK script, but you can activate and deactivate the layout by clicking the tray icon (or both alt keys) and you can also give it other .mkl (Microsoft Keyboard Layout) files and it will use those instead.

That said, I eventually stopped using Colemak and switched back to Qwerty because I use a lot of new machines on a daily basis and putting Colemak on all of them was far more effort than it was worth.

Rwm28juni

Postby Rwm28juni » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

Alright, so I tried, and the second link works perfectly. I can just put it on my USB and run it when at school. This is also a great alternative to having to install it on every single computer I come across. My problem is solved :D

Return to “The Help Desk”