Wiki software for Mac?

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Aequitas

Wiki software for Mac?

Postby Aequitas » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:47 pm UTC

I'm looking for a Wiki for my own personal use for outlining some novels I'm working on. It doesn't need to be available anywhere besdies my Macbook. Does anyone know of a good wiki that isn't too complicated to install? MediaWiki has all these dependencies and crap I don't want to deal with (I'm a Linux burn-out who switched to Mac).

LikwidCirkel

Re: Wiki software for Mac?

Postby LikwidCirkel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:37 pm UTC

I'm a little bit confused by your requirements.

A Wiki with only one editor is by definition not a Wiki. Do you want some kind of markup, or revision control? Please elaborate.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:44 pm UTC

You should have a look here and here. If you don't want to go throught the necessary steps to fire up your (built-in) webserver, enable PHP and install MySQL or PostgreSQL, VoodooPad is probably your best option.

Note: I found these links through a normal web search.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Aequitas

Postby Aequitas » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:31 pm UTC

LikwidCirkel wrote:I'm a little bit confused by your requirements.

A Wiki with only one editor is by definition not a Wiki. Do you want some kind of markup, or revision control? Please elaborate.

I mainly want something that has hyper link without me dealing with HTML or some bullshit like that. So, I could be reading an article about one of my characters and it mentions his nationality. I want the Wiki to link to that country's article in my wiki. Also, revision control is nice.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:14 am UTC

I'd just go ahead and install MAMP (a apache-mysql-php stack) and throw in mediawiki. I know there are Bitnami Stacks that are free and will just install instantly, but I prefer having direct access to apache and its components for easy twerking.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:40 am UTC

Regarding MAMP: I don't see why mac users want to install a bundle that includes two things that are already on their computer and only one that isn't. You can also just install MySQL, fire up the pre-installed apache and make a small change to the configuration to make it work with the pre-installed PHP. Anyone care to elaborate?
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:44 am UTC

I prefer the separation and having control over when it goes on is a plus for my purposes.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:56 am UTC

You can also control when the pre-installed apache goes on, right? With System Preferences > Sharing > Webserver? Or did you mean something else?

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:05 am UTC

Specifically, I meant the port. I do use the built-in apache installation for some purposes, but I have things I don't want to be easily available from other people on my network.

It's also more one-click-install and you get all the stuff like phpmyadmin and things.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:42 am UTC

Why hasn't anyone mentioned TiddlyWiki yet?

http://www.tiddlywiki.com/

You just download the .html page and then edit it away. No need to set up MySQL databases or nothing. Wikis are generally for multi-user situations, but clearly, the original poster wants a "personal wiki". TiddlyWiki ought to fit the bill.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Return to “The Help Desk”