how to solve this formula? (yeah shame on me)

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

gaurwraith

how to solve this formula? (yeah shame on me)

Postby gaurwraith » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:51 pm UTC

Hello, would someone please be so kind as to tell me if I'm doing ok or lead me in how to solve this formula:

(a-b)2 + (c-d)2 + (e-f)2 And all this under a square root

(this is Osgood semantic differential)

I'm doing it just like

(10-5)2 + (4-2)2 + (6-3)2

25 + 4 + 9

38 sq root= 6.164...

correct?
I am a lvl 89 sword barb

Dopefish

Re: how to solve this formula? (yeah shame on me)

Postby Dopefish » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:37 am UTC

Solve the formula for what?

And also, when you say formula, do you mean you have something like y=sqrt( (a-b)^2 + (c-d)^2 + (e-f)^2)? As it's just an expression rather then an equation unless you have an equals sign somewhere.

Are a,b,c,...,f known constants?

If you mean solve the equation y=sqrt( (a-b)^2 + (c-d)^2 + (e-f)^2) for y, then that is 'solved' in that form already, and can't be simplified any further unless some of a,b,c,d,e,f are related. If you have specific values for those variables, then you can sub them in as you did in your post to get a particular number (e.g. sqrt(38) if a=10, b=5, c=4, d=2, e=6, and f=3).

I will mention I'm not familiar with the idea of a Osgood semantic differential however, and wikipedia didn't help much, so perhaps theres something I'm missing about your question. (Also, help desk is usually for tech help, and this is more of a math help thing so far as I can tell. Again, perhaps I'm missing something that makes it more tech-y, but it looks like this might be more at home in math land.)

Sizik

Re: how to solve this formula? (yeah shame on me)

Postby Sizik » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:31 pm UTC

It looks like basically the Euclidean distance between the points (a,c,e) and (b,d,f).
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

gaurwraith

[SOLVED] how to solve this formula? (yeah shame on me)

Postby gaurwraith » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:36 pm UTC

My sincere thanks to both of you, I can now proclame this question solved.
thanks.
I am a lvl 89 sword barb

Return to “The Help Desk”