Oh hey, I fucked up my computer.

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Daimon

Oh hey, I fucked up my computer.

Postby Daimon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:21 am UTC

I'll keep it short: I put some BIOS password on there for some reason, a simple 7 number thing. The few times before I started my computer, that prompted, and I entered it with no problem. Now this happens: I haven't forgotton it, and I only get these two weird stars, and I know it's not two characters long.

KnightExemplar

Re: Oh hey, I fucked up my computer.

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:51 am UTC

There is almost certainly a way to reset that memory. Usually, pulling out the battery and waiting 30 minutes works. There are also ways to force a reset by throwing jumpers in certain locations... but that sort of thing varies from motherboard to motherboard. Its generally considered good practice to first do it the way the motherboard manual tells you to. If there isn't one or if it doesn't work, then try the battery trick.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:29 am UTC

Any reason it's not accepting a password that has worked before?

What I was doing: Following instructions to the letter in a virtual box, press Ctrl, something, F2, my main computer goes into this ttyl thingy, it tells me to enter my password, which doesn't work. I restart the computer, and here I am.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:59 am UTC

Daimon wrote:Following instructions to the letter in a virtual box, press Ctrl, something, F2, my main computer goes into this ttyl thingy, it tells me to enter my password, which doesn't work.
What? This makes no sense. What do you mean by a "virtual box" and a "ttyl thingy" ? Perhaps what you mean by "BIOS password" is not what the rest of us identify as a "BIOS password" ?

coyotebush

Postby coyotebush » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:42 pm UTC

Ctrl-Alt-F2 on a graphical *nix system will often get you out of X and into a text console. If I'm understanding correctly, you did that, hard-rebooted, and then started having problems with the BIOS password? If anything, I'd guess the hard reboot could be more damaging than anything in software, but even that seems unlikely.

cphite

Postby cphite » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:27 pm UTC

Is the "BIOS password" for the virtual machine or for the host of the virtual machine?

If it's the former, you may be able to edit the config (your VM will have to be off of course) and if it's the latter, you should try removing the battery, wait about 30 mins, then put it back in.

In either case, prepare to lose any custom BIOS settings that you've made.

Return to “The Help Desk”