Speakers buzzing/cutting out every few seconds

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

mitch1423

Speakers buzzing/cutting out every few seconds

Postby mitch1423 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:04 am UTC

They buzz every 30 seconds or so when plugged into my computer, but work fine with any other device. Any idea how I can fix this?

cphite

Re: Speakers buzzing/cutting out every few seconds

Postby cphite » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm UTC

mitch1423 wrote:They buzz every 30 seconds or so when plugged into my computer, but work fine with any other device. Any idea how I can fix this?

Could be a number of things...

1. Sound card; if yours is removable, try taking it out (computer off and unplugged!) and putting it back in again. It could be loose or there could be dust around the connection.

2. Hardware issue; look for excessive dust in the computer, use canned air to remove. Computer is off and unplugged.

3. Turn computer on, look for any fans that are running slowly or seem to be running fast then slow again. If so, these need to be replaced.

4. Outside interference; lots of different things can cause interference... radio, television, various appliances. Plug your speakers into some other device and - not playing anything - turn them up all the way. It may be that the buzz is just not noticeable with other devices. If this is the case, there are noise filters you can buy, but the effectiveness isn't always great.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:39 pm UTC

It could also be that the connector socket in the computer is a bit crudler. Try plugging some other speakers/headphones/etc into it and see if they also crackle. Also, try wiggling the plug around and see if that changes anything.

LikwidCirkel

Postby LikwidCirkel » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

Audio outputs on some low-end motherboards (or badly designed hi-end ones) have incredibly poor noise isolation, and sometimes you just have to deal with it or use some other audio output.

I had one where if I turned up the volume, I could hear different distinctive buzzing sounds for hard drive accesses, RAM accesses, and especially GPU activity. I had a laptop where both the built-in speakers and headphone jack would buzz significantly on GPU activity, but was mostly quiet the rest of the time.

I know of no solution, other than getting a better motherboard, using a soundcard rather than motherboard audio (USB will work), or using something like S/PDIF.

Some boards allow you to use any of 5 or 6 jacks and re-map them using software. I'd try that too if you can.

Return to “The Help Desk”