Can't play DVDs

"Please leave a message at the beep, we will get back to you when your support contract expires."

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Can't play DVDs

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

Has anyone heard of this one? I recently rebuilt my computer and it works perfectly except I now can't play films on DVD. It just refuses to go any further after the various copyright screens. I thought it might be a problem with the DVD drive, but I've just plugged another one in and it's the same problem. What gives?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Re: Can't play DVDs

Postby scarecrovv » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:24 pm UTC

If you can get that far, it's almost certainly a software issue. What operating system are you running? What DVD playing application are you using?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:48 pm UTC

OS is Windows 7. Software is Media Player Classic. But I've also tried with KMPlayer and it halts in the same place.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:28 am UTC

Step Zero is always to eliminate the OS entirely. I suggest putting Geexbox on a bootable USB stick and see if that lets you play DVDs. It could quite possibly be a problem with your DVD drive.

Another thing you can try is ripping a DVD (or finding a suitable free downloadable ISO image of a video DVD), mounting it with Daemon Tools or something similar, and see if your various media players can play from the resulting "virtual" DVD drive.

The culprit may potentially lie with an installed "upper filter" or "lower filter" within Windows. I've posted about the Filter Check Tool previously. (It is the first thing the technical support people will try to check if you call them and say you're having DVD playback problems.)

CarlLaMagouille

Postby CarlLaMagouille » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:40 am UTC

I hate this when I buy a DVD to spend a cool night with my girl (or anyone), and I end up spending hours figuring out for the nth time how to install the drivers on the os I'd have recently installed (I change os much more frequently than play dvds). Didn't think one would have problems with windows playing DVDs though, it seemed to me a free software issue overall.

Anyway, if it is not a drive issue nor a player issue, it sure looks like a driver/codec issue (I thought windows had it natively, but maybe not on every version?). Maybe try VLC, which is good with codecs.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:54 am UTC

CarlLaMagouille wrote:(I thought windows had it natively, but maybe not on every version?)
FYI, Windows 8 has famously lost the ability to play DVDs out of the box.

zed0

Postby zed0 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:39 pm UTC

I'd suggest trying VLC which is a lot less pinickity about whether you actually have the legal right to watch a DVD or not, most of the other pieces of software require you to have actually installed some official DVD playing software at some point. VLC also doesn't care about region encoding, not really relevant in this case but quite handy.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:22 am UTC

zed0 wrote:I'd suggest trying VLC which is a lot less pinickity about whether you actually have the legal right to watch a DVD or not, most of the other pieces of software require you to have actually installed some official DVD playing software at some point.
FYI, the aforementioned Media Player Classic (assuming it was installed with FFDShow, and it usually is as part of the K-Lite Codec Pack) has no such requirement. Neither does KMPlayer. (I was going to write that KMPlayer uses the MPlayer engine, but no, that is SMPlayer.)

VLC also doesn't care about region encoding, not really relevant in this case but quite handy.
I think at some point Windows enforced the DVD drive's hardware region protection at the OS level, such that even VLC wouldn't help, but I tried it just now on my Windows 7 x64 machine and it worked perfectly, even when KMPlayer and Media Player Classic wouldn't. That was educational.

Return to “The Help Desk”