Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kiresaur

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby Kiresaur » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:37 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:Castle of the Winds?

Not quite, I remember most of the screen was black almost all the time, since it'd only show what you've found so far.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:52 pm UTC

Disciples of Steel? Does the moment of first-person (see: 28:08) disqualify it? Perhaps Ragnarok or Kingdom of Syree III *? Did the camera follow your character or remain fixed?

*Technically wanted II, for this screenshot.
Kingdom Syree 2.png
Kingdom Syree 2.png (4.16 KiB) Viewed 1764 times

(Pre-post edit) Closer to Angband, then?

Unrelated:
Spoiler:
Found exceptionally horrid game art.
Moraff Dungeons Unforgiven.png
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Kiresaur

Postby Kiresaur » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:09 am UTC

Deva wrote:Disciples of Steel? Does the moment of first-person (see: 28:08) disqualify it? Perhaps Ragnarok or Kingdom of Syree III *? Did the camera follow your character or remain fixed?

*Technically wanted II, for this screenshot.
Kingdom Syree 2.png

(Pre-post edit) Closer to Angband, then?

Unrelated:
Spoiler:
Found exceptionally horrid game art.
Moraff Dungeons Unforgiven.png

No, none of those...
It had portraits, like, the things you were going to fight... I think, at least. When you found them, a picture of them would pop up. I remember fighting dragons, and trolls.

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:49 am UTC

Seems rare to give monsters a portrait. In that case, Caverns of Xaskazien or Quenzar’s Caverns?

Kiresaur

Postby Kiresaur » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:37 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Seems rare to give monsters a portrait. In that case, Caverns of Xaskazien or Quenzar’s Caverns?

Not quite, but it looks similar to Caverns of Xaskazien! A bit more detailed/advanced than that!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:26 pm UTC

Problem is - as I'm sure you're realizing - you described a genre more than a specific game. Like asking about "This game I remember where it was all first person and you ran around shooting things and there was a machine gun that was pretty fantastic. Maybe a rocket launcher too?"

Which describes at least 50 games in the 96-99 era.

Are there any more specific qualities you recall? Something that you haven't seen in another game, maybe?

You mention a party - did you pick up the other members as you went, or was it more of a "create them at the start and go" thing.

Were there tons of item slots in the inventory (belts, hoods, cloaks, boots, socks, etc) or very few (armor, weapon, helm) or.. no inventory at all?

Was it a single dungeon you kept progressing through, or multiple? Was there a town you could return to? If not, were there random merchants in the dungeon? If not, was there even any currency (gold, coins, dungeonbux) and did it have a point?

You recall a green dragon - was this a boss or a "common" monster? Was it winged?

Did you decide how to fight or did you just bump a monster once and the game told you if you won or not?

Was there health?

Do you recall spells of any type?

Questions lie that - can you give any further detail?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:33 pm UTC

Were your party members humanoid?

- Demon.
- Reaping the Dungeon. (Shows a more detailed monster description somehow. Probably requires inspecting it.)
- Natuk. (Guesses not this. Mentions fighting trolls and dragons, at least.)

Grop

Postby Grop » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:23 pm UTC

Deva wrote:- Natuk. (Guesses not this. Mentions fighting trolls and dragons, at least.)

Natuk was the one game I could remember of that kind, but indeed that would be unlikely (therefore I didn't suggest it). In that game you would play a party of orcs, goblins and ogres, which I suppose Kiresaur would remember. There was a lot of funny sound effects, especially the chants of your shaman.

Kiresaur

Postby Kiresaur » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:31 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Were your party members humanoid?

- Demon.
- Reaping the Dungeon. (Shows a more detailed monster description somehow. Probably requires inspecting it.)
- Natuk. (Guesses not this. Mentions fighting trolls and dragons, at least.)

As far as I remember, they were. None of the games match, sorry!

Grop wrote:
Deva wrote:- Natuk. (Guesses not this. Mentions fighting trolls and dragons, at least.)

Natuk was the one game I could remember of that kind, but indeed that would be unlikely (therefore I didn't suggest it). In that game you would play a party of orcs, goblins and ogres, which I suppose Kiresaur would remember. There was a lot of funny sound effects, especially the chants of your shaman.

Even though it looks like a very neat game, doesn't ring any bells, unfortunately. Thanks!

SecondTalon wrote:Problem is - as I'm sure you're realizing - you described a genre more than a specific game. Like asking about "This game I remember where it was all first person and you ran around shooting things and there was a machine gun that was pretty fantastic. Maybe a rocket launcher too?"

Which describes at least 50 games in the 96-99 era.

Are there any more specific qualities you recall? Something that you haven't seen in another game, maybe?

You mention a party - did you pick up the other members as you went, or was it more of a "create them at the start and go" thing.

Were there tons of item slots in the inventory (belts, hoods, cloaks, boots, socks, etc) or very few (armor, weapon, helm) or.. no inventory at all?

Was it a single dungeon you kept progressing through, or multiple? Was there a town you could return to? If not, were there random merchants in the dungeon? If not, was there even any currency (gold, coins, dungeonbux) and did it have a point?

You recall a green dragon - was this a boss or a "common" monster? Was it winged?

Did you decide how to fight or did you just bump a monster once and the game told you if you won or not?

Was there health?

Do you recall spells of any type?

Questions lie that - can you give any further detail?

Yeah, I'm aware that I'm practically just describing the genre. Not only that, but I don't fully trust my memory to remember properly, nor that it is not mixing up two games, so don't take everything I say with absolute certainty; There might be no dragon at all, no treasure at all. And, something else I'm afraid: I'm brazillian, and that game must've come from a "100 games in one" disk, as I had many of those. It was, quite possibly, developed by a brazillian team; I can't seem to recall what language it was on, but (although possible) I doubt my english back then was good enough for me to comprehend the game. It could also be that I just understood keywords, as I did with many games. There are a lot of factors here, and that's why I said I thought it'd be a hard one. So, really, thanks a lot for any help, guys <3
I've managed to found a lot of old games I used to play (Word hunt, Mystic Tower, Planet Blupi), but I can't find this one.

To answer those questions:
- I think you found your party throughout the dungeon. I remember sitting down to play and playing it from the first moment up to the death of my entire party a several times, so it had that kind of (with a lot of quotations marks) "Roguelike" aspect.
- I don't quite remember the inventory... Maybe, if it was there in detail, there were no graphics to it.
- There wasn't a town, you'd just walk through the dungeon. I don't quite recall the point, since... I don't seem to remember any merchant within the dungeon. I remember grabbing gold, but... I'm not sure what purpose it served. Maybe there were a merchant. Maybe you used gold to level up.
- I think the green dragon was recurring, even though it was surely a big deal. I'd guess it'd be like meeting a dragon in a Might and Magic game. You know, you'll find a few; Doesn't mean you're not gonna run away from it.
- I don't recall how the fighting worked, nor the mechanics of health or spells.

I don't remember anything in specific. I remember seeing trolls, associating them with the color brown, and thinking to myself "Man, they are slim for someone so tall." I don't even recall if there were icons for the player and the enemies on top-down view of the dungeon. Maaaybe, I had to remember where everything I had encountered was, because the map would display only the layout. MAYBE.

Sorry for such a complicated request. It's no worries if we can't find it. Thanks a lot for all the help <3

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:36 pm UTC

No worries. I know a lot of the time when I can't remember something clearly, just being asked can help - hence the questions.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

tinyblades

Postby tinyblades » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:42 pm UTC

* Background: I played it at home on one of my first PCs. It was fun but for whatever reason, I never got to the end of it. I didn't even buy it, I downloaded it from one of those programs that sometimes came preinstalled on the computer like 'Big Fish Games' or something like that where they give you the first hour free, the program also had a ton of those 'Find the *insert item here* in this chaotic image of things' and other games like that though it wasn't one of those.
* System: I would be lying if I wrote a specific OS here. It was PC and back about 2007 or 2008 but I was likely not on the most up to date OS.
* Year: I would have played it about 2007 or 2008 but that doesn't necessarily mean it came out then. There were sequels I never played and they came out after then because I got excited when I saw the sequel coming out but I never did play it - I wonder why not since I did really enjoy the game.
* Perspective: It was 2D
* Art style: The game opened with a small movie style segment showing a priestess trying to defeat a great evil but losing and leading to the beginning of the game, the playable female character finding the priestess. It wasn't 8bit but the graphics weren't much better than that, it was blocky I can remember, no curves on either the characters (NPC or playable) or the environment. The game initially started in a rural village type environment with a least one cave on the outskirts that you play through but eventually end up in an upper-class house where the character is kept as a slave and then in a built-up city were the playable character and the upper-class house's familys son go to school, the playable character to learn magic, the upper-class son to learn to be a knight. His character openly mocked the female character repeatedly though if I remember what little I knew about the sequel, by then they were working together so must have built bridges some point in the first game.
* Environment: Weapons were mostly magic based on my character. When at the school you could learn more spells by going into different classrooms and getting the professor to teach you but some spells were too strong for you so you couldn't just learn anything. The first character you meet was the priestess but as I said above, she loses her initial fight in her cut-scene leading to you finding her in the outskirts of town and trying to help her heal in your house, you go out on your own for some reason and kept captured as a slave, get given to a house that works you til one day somebody comes to see the young boy for his fighting ability and at the time notices your magic ability so both of you go to the school. There was some fighting but it was things like wasps and boars (wasps for definite, not sure about the boars) and that was travelling between different built-up areas. It was in top-down view mode and you only saw small areas of the larger map, you walked to the edge of the piece you were currently in and it opened up the next piece type thing. If I remember right the main character had coloured hair, I'm thinking blue, maybe. Small girl initially, young like 12 or so but then more like 15 or 16 when it was time for the academy and learning to wield magic, my overall impression was the end plan was to defeat the evil which had initally hurt the priestess and was threating to take over the land.
* Mood: Was darker in the caves and in the inital cut-scene but was happier when the girl was in her original house and then at the school.
* Genre: Single-player top-down viewing adventure RPG
* Gameplay: It was arrow based play, up for up and down for down you understand. There were stats but I cant remember much about those, I remember getting to the school and reading that there were cool spells to learn, spell with the words song and ice and flame and such in them, and then realising I couldn't learn them yet. You never controlled anybody else that the female character.

Any help here would be great, I've been looking for this game for years and now that I am starting a YouTube channel and streaming, I would love love love to stream this game but for the life of me no matter how far and wide I look I can't find it. I am sure it wasn't a dream so please help me out here!!

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

l3runo

Postby l3runo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:41 am UTC

Background: remember playing it in mid to late 90's
System: it was on pc
Year: not sure, i was playing it mid to late 90's
Perspective: top down
Art style: futuristic
Environment: i belive it was like a maze, with aliens, like Alien Breed but with more gore, like Loaded from Sega Saturn
Mood: darkish?
Genre: fast paced shooter
Gameplay: walking around shooting everything

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:47 pm UTC

l3runo

Postby l3runo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:55 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Machine Hunter?

i think not, but that game looks cool, will try it.

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:58 pm UTC

Take No Prisoners? Falls under post-apocalyptic more than aliens, though.

l3runo

Postby l3runo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:38 am UTC

Deva wrote:Take No Prisoners? Falls under post-apocalyptic more than aliens, though.

wow that game looks amazing, but nah not that either.. it was very similar to alien breed, maybe it was alien breed but it just doesn't seems right, oh well at least i discovered that two games that look very good, thanks Deva!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:44 pm UTC

I sometimes feel like making up a game and giving it an overly broad timeframe (like 1994-2005) and just seeing if Deva can find something that matches it.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 pm UTC

How about Threat, from Webfoot? It's mighty obscure.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/threa ... rId,71740/

l3runo

Postby l3runo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:52 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:How about Threat, from Webfoot? It's mighty obscure.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/threa ... rId,71740/

nah, it was on windows almost certain about that, better quality music and graphics, but nice game too, thanks

Coryman

Postby Coryman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:50 am UTC

I might be breaking the rules, but I'm pretty sure the game was called "Monsters". That's not exactly much to go by though- if you google anything like "monsters game" there will be millions of wrong results, so I figure I might as well ask here.
As I remember it, you play as a little pink triangle with feet, who found a bunch of monsters in a cereal box? It's a top down puzzle sort of game, complete with level editor. The monsters themselves are just coloured circles (green was the basic one, blue was a fast vampire one, orange breathes fire). You collect keys in different colours (red, blue, yellow, maybe green) to unlock little doors of the same colours, and you had to try to reach an exit door. To kill monsters, you lead them into a puddle of goo on the ground, and little tentacles would pull them in.
I remember so many things about the game really clearly, but I have absolutely no idea where we found it, who made it, or if there was any part of the name that I'm forgetting.

New User

Postby New User » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:12 pm UTC

Any clue as to when you played this or what platform would be helpful.

Common_Freak

Postby Common_Freak » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:47 pm UTC

* Background: a game I used to play a lot as a kid but is lost either in my 999 in 1 games CDs or collection of floppy's that I lost a lot of. You have a fighter plane you control with the mouse and there's a lot of power-ups while opponents come from all directions.
* System: PC: Windows 95 or DOS
* Year: early or mid 90's
* Perspective: 2D top down, you play on the left half of the screen, right half has points and current powers (and maybe even a mini-map of how far you are in the level)
* Art style: like Tyrian and Raptor
* Environment: several environments, over water, over land, i think even in space at some point
* Mood: colourful power-ups, mostly grey enemies
* Genre: top-down shoot-em-up
* Gameplay: I don't remember how the plane looks, but you start with the standard bullet shooting mechanic that has limited range. you can power up the standard bullet by picking up the appropriate power-up, but if you take different bullet power-up, you start at level 1 of that power-up. You can get mini-planes beside you who get destroyed when hit. There's bombs that clear the whole screen, you start with either 2 or 3 and they can go up to 5 or 6 bombs. You can destroy buildings on the ground by shooting and they can sometimes shoot back. I know there's levels involved, but no save mechanic because you're supposed to get the high score. I don't remember if there were bosses at the end of the levels, but unless you got lucky and had powered up something to level 3 or 4, the game was impossible. The power-ups included: normal bullets, shield bullets (banana shaped), lasers, mini-planes, bombs and shields (and maybe even a death or life power-up). I also don't remember if the power ups could also be power-downs, since changing your bullets would bring them back to level 1.

Coryman

Postby Coryman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:14 pm UTC

I personally played it around 2005, on windows, though it might be a few years older than that. Also, I'm not sure if it was a flash game... We had it downloaded on the computer, but I seem to remember it having vector graphics

Deva

Postby Deva » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:23 pm UTC

Searched "monster" on MobyGames. Turned up nothing. Best guess: Mr. Triangle's Maze Madness. (Note: Cannot find that specifically. Claims 2003 for it. Created Mr. Triangle's Maze in 2008. May have remade it recently. Attached the 2008 version…probably.)

Mr Triangle's Maze.png
Mr Triangle's Maze.png (5.19 KiB) Viewed 1076 times

Coryman

Postby Coryman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:46 pm UTC

No, the graphics were a lot less plain than that, from what I remember. Thanks for the effort though

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:29 pm UTC

Common_Freak wrote:* Background: a game I used to play a lot as a kid but is lost either in my 999 in 1 games CDs or collection of floppy's that I lost a lot of. You have a fighter plane you control with the mouse and there's a lot of power-ups while opponents come from all directions.
* Perspective: 2D top down, you play on the left half of the screen, right half has points and current powers (and maybe even a mini-map of how far you are in the level)
* Environment: several environments, over water, over land, i think even in space at some point
* Gameplay: I don't remember how the plane looks, but you start with the standard bullet shooting mechanic that has limited range. you can power up the standard bullet by picking up the appropriate power-up, but if you take different bullet power-up, you start at level 1 of that power-up. You can get mini-planes beside you who get destroyed when hit. There's bombs that clear the whole screen, you start with either 2 or 3 and they can go up to 5 or 6 bombs. You can destroy buildings on the ground by shooting and they can sometimes shoot back. I know there's levels involved, but no save mechanic because you're supposed to get the high score. I don't remember if there were bosses at the end of the levels, but unless you got lucky and had powered up something to level 3 or 4, the game was impossible. The power-ups included: normal bullets, shield bullets (banana shaped), lasers, mini-planes, bombs and shields (and maybe even a death or life power-up). I also don't remember if the power ups could also be power-downs, since changing your bullets would bring them back to level 1.

Can you figure out something more unique about the game? As is.. you... basically just described the top-down shoot-em-up genre, with the variant of powering up weapons which is not uncommon.

Deva

Postby Deva » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:03 pm UTC

Common_Freak wrote:* Background: a game I used to play a lot as a kid but is lost either in my 999 in 1 games CDs or collection of floppy's that I lost a lot of. You have a fighter plane you control with the mouse and there's a lot of power-ups while opponents come from all directions.

Will guess some anyways. Looked mainly at user-interface. Eliminated some solely in space too.
Overkill, Major Stryker, Flying Tigers 2, or Mirage Thunder?

Mentions Terroid only due to the lack of saving. Noticed few games with (obvious) mouse controls. Favored keyboard and joystick.

Edit: Released Gradius: Deluxe Pack for Windows too. Cannot save there either. Scrolls horizontally, though.

Monkeymaster

Postby Monkeymaster » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:11 am UTC

So there's a game I played on the Xbox 360 about 5 or 6 years ago, where you play as a man and his dog ( I think ) and you explore an ice kingdom and near the beginning you see this devil that goes in a cave and the game is quite a 3rd person point and click sort of thing. There's a massive boss part way through made of snow and he throws snowballs at you. That's all I remember as it was so long ago.
Hope you can help.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:15 pm UTC

Xbox 360....so long ago

Does not compute.oh god it's been 12 years

Anyway, use the template.

Deva

Postby Deva » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:36 pm UTC

Likely unnecessary (this time). Axel & Pixel?

Common_Freak

Postby Common_Freak » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:47 am UTC

Deva wrote:

Will guess some anyways. Looked mainly at user-interface. Eliminated some solely in space too.
Overkill, Major Stryker, Flying Tigers 2, or Mirage Thunder?

Mentions Terroid only due to the lack of saving. Noticed few games with (obvious) mouse controls. Favored keyboard and joystick.

Edit: Released Gradius: Deluxe Pack for Windows too. Cannot save there either. Scrolls horizontally, though.

Thanks for looking, Deva, I know it's a pretty basic description of a shmup, so I tried to give as much information as I could remember.

I know that you scrolled vertically, so horizontal games are off the table.
Major Stryker might come the closest since the power-ups in that game have letter coding, which seems familiar, but I don't know for sure if that was included.
And I'm pretty sure the land was more like Raptor: Call of the Shadows, since you blew up things on the ground.

After looking at the videos, I happened to see this game series called Raiden in the recommended videos, in which Raiden II and Raiden DX look a lot like what I remember. I'm pretty sure they're not the game I played as a kid, but I know they are really close and will probably play them in the near future.

shadowsai

Postby shadowsai » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:57 am UTC

Hi. I need your help. This is going to be very hard I cant really remember a huge deal about this one but I remember enjoying it alot when I was young
* System: PC,
* Year: later 90's early 2000's
* Perspective: 1st
* Art style: 3D
* Mood: dark
* Genre: Science-Fiction/fantasy
* Gameplay: You start in a Hedge maze and just walked around after a few minutes the screen starts flashing and then it teleports you to a ship. Then you wonder around picking up items like key cards and tazor things while trying to figure out what to do( i didn't really understand the game). I may be mixing games here it was a while ago, but the game also had a medival section to it where you could get a sword/shield and multiple pieces of "holy" amour and then started fighting these demon like things.

Sorry about the lack of information I know it not much to go off. Any help would be very welcome.

lucksma96

Postby lucksma96 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:58 pm UTC

* Background: This is an attempt to help my friend find a game that he's not even sure it's real, it might be a figment of his imagination lol he said that it was around the early 90s, and that he never beat it. Also, it had a mysterious vibe.
* System: DOS
* Year: Around the early 90s
* Perspective: Completely 2D, without the sense of perspective.
* Art style: Very pixelated, with solid colors.
* Environment: It looks like the focus of the game was mainly the environment, like if the character was just a detail and didn't occupy much space on-screen. There was someone (an NPC?) that transformed into a bird (maybe a crow). Also, the game had dialogs in text boxes. The only thing about the scenery he remembers is some place with a church, or church-like windows, like those big glass panes.
* Mood: It had a dark mood.
* Genre: It looks like some fantasy adventure, possibly medieval.
* Gameplay: The interaction was either by clicking or by moving the character with the arrow keys. When switching scenarios (or levels?) there seemed to be some sort of animation or transition.

Sorry for the broadness, like I said, he's not even sure the game existed... :P
Thanks in advance! :D

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:25 am UTC

Lost in Time starts in a hedgemaze, I think.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_in_Time_(video_game)

PortgasDMana

Postby PortgasDMana » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:06 pm UTC

1st game :

-Browser game
-(Blocks) puzzle
-Black background, maybe space
-One of the first levels was like a weighing scale, where you had to balance falling blocks

-In the other levels, you controlled a reddish/pink cube with which you pushed other blocks, i don't remember what for
-Came out before 2002

2nd game :

-Pacman (lol)
-with every level, the map and the "fruit" changed
-besides the usual fruits (cherry, strawberry, orange...), there also was burger, chips and coke
-higher levels had teleporters

I've been looking for these games for ages, so I hope someone can help me here.

Deva

Postby Deva » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:35 pm UTC

PortgasDMana wrote:2nd game :

-Pacman (lol)
-with every level, the map and the "fruit" changed
-besides the usual fruits (cherry, strawberry, orange...), there also was burger, chips and coke
-higher levels had teleporters

I've been looking for these games for ages, so I hope someone can help me here.

Pako 2 or Chomper 3D? About when did you play it?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:22 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Return to “Gaming”