Counterstrike!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Counterstrike!

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:40 pm UTC

Anybody here play Counterstrike and its varieties? I started out with Counterstrike 1.6, then saw the light and have been playing CS:S ever since.

What are your favourite maps? Weapons? Game types?

For myself?

Favourite map for scrims: de_dust2

Favourite map for amazing fun: gg_anything

Favourite weapon: tie between the AK and the Scout, though I like the M4 because of the low kickback and fire rate and limited spray. Oh, and nades too. :D

EDIT: Title fix'd for clarity.
Last edited by Mathmagic on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:06 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Rasputin

Postby Rasputin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:45 pm UTC

Been playing CS for 4 years (since 1.5). Played through 1.6 until I bought a new computer that could run CS:S (I totally skipped CZ). I play CS:S for fun and also in CAL league. I recently switched to a new clan that has really good Pacific and Central teams (going CAL-IM or CAL-M next season), and I will be on their new Atlantic team which will start CAL-O next season. I love to play competitively, but pubs are also a lot of fun. I usually play de_dust2, and I love most awp_ maps.
The Immortal One.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:06 pm UTC

I've never played competitively, mainly because I don't have the time to... I like the awp maps, but I find that on *most* awp servers, either people are hacking, or there just aren't that many awp servers to choose from.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.

Rasputin

Postby Rasputin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:I've never played competitively, mainly because I don't have the time to... I like the awp maps, but I find that on *most* awp servers, either people are hacking, or there just aren't that many awp servers to choose from.

Learn to beat the hackers :)
The Immortal One.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:53 am UTC

have to say i quite like cs_assult - but only the source version which has an extra door into the warehouse. the old version was too easy for Ts to cover all entrances with snipers
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Nab

Postby Nab » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:48 am UTC

Gungame is fun :P You play with a friend and alternate winning (knifing each other). I've gotten a server half-empty before :D

miles01110

Postby miles01110 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:08 am UTC

I used to play, but then the crappy windows machine I played it on died and I don't care about windows enough to buy another one. And I just removed the windows partition on my current computer.

But my favorite map used to be office.

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

[quote="Nab"]Gungame is fun :P You play with a friend and alternate winning (knifing each other). I've gotten a server half-empty before :D[/quote

That sounds oppressively boring.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

ChooChoo

Postby ChooChoo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:19 pm UTC

I've heard about a huge argument between CS 1.6 and CS:S fans.

Does anyone know why this is?

CS:S just seems all-around better from what I've played.

Is it just stubborn fanboyness or what?

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

I prefer 1.6 to CS:S for several reasons. I get the impression I know more of what's going on without all the useless stuff everywhere. It feels better to play in general because of how simple and elegant it is. I feel sluggish in CS:S, just like how battlefield (or just about any WW2 game I've ever played) feels sluggish. I haven't played CS:S much though, so this may not be accurate.

I love the AK. It's cheap and effective and most importantly it kills in one shot. It pains me so much to round a corner as a CT and find myself face to face with a T, get lucky enough to get the first shot off, and then die because it takes TWO shots to kill. Gah!

Nuke is easily my favourite map. Also I hate de_dust with a passion.

MEGAMERICAN

Postby MEGAMERICAN » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

Blatm wrote:I prefer 1.6 to CS:S for several reasons. I get the impression I know more of what's going on without all the useless stuff everywhere. It feels better to play in general because of how simple and elegant it is. I feel sluggish in CS:S, just like how battlefield (or just about any WW2 game I've ever played) feels sluggish. I haven't played CS:S much though, so this may not be accurate.

I also prefer 1.6 to CS:S for mostly the same reason. The same goes for DoD 1.3 to DoD:S. The feel of the source engine just isn't to my liking when compared to the original. I really hated source for DoD more than CS though. The devs made the feel much more "realistic," which means they made it feel like CoD2. They took out the best features which made it unique when compared to other WW2 shooters and killed off most of the DoD community. With the exception of the first two weeks after the DoD:S release, DoD 1.3 had more players for it for a long time. I really don't know many people who play either anymore.

ChooChoo

Postby ChooChoo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:54 am UTC

Blatm wrote:I get the impression I know more of what's going on without all the useless stuff everywhere. It feels better to play in general because of how simple and elegant it is. I feel sluggish in CS:S, just like how battlefield (or just about any WW2 game I've ever played) feels sluggish.

It's weird, because to me it seems like the hit boxes are just silly in CS 1.6 when compared to CS:S. You shoot and hope you're hitting something, whereas in CS:S you actually can snipe realistically with a scout.

Blatm wrote:I love the AK. It's cheap and effective and most importantly it kills in one shot. It pains me so much to round a corner as a CT and find myself face to face with a T, get lucky enough to get the first shot off, and then die because it takes TWO shots to kill. Gah!

<3 m4a1.

Blatm wrote:Nuke is easily my favourite map. Also I hate de_dust with a passion.

I love dust. I hate dust2.

noouch

Postby noouch » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:03 pm UTC

Playing on most public servers has become pretty annoying, but it's still really fun at small LAN parties when accompanied by a case of beer.

ChooChoo

Postby ChooChoo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

CS is the god of LAN parties, no question.

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:22 am UTC

ChooChoo wrote:It's weird, because to me it seems like the hit boxes are just silly in CS 1.6 when compared to CS:S. You shoot and hope you're hitting something, whereas in CS:S you actually can snipe realistically with a scout.

That is one thing that I hate about 1.6: I can't hit the broadside of a barn with the scout. I put the bead right on my targets head, and miss. It works fine with the AWP though.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:08 am UTC

Does anybody here have XFire?

I just got it and am currently friendless. :(

Rasputin

Postby Rasputin » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:05 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:Does anybody here have XFire?

I just got it and am currently friendless. :(

my xfire: rasputin6

Hit me up for some pubbin! :)

As for my current situation, I play with a clan called High eXpectations Gaming. We have Pacific, Central, and newly-formed Atlantic teams (we're not recruiting at the moment). Both Pacific and Central ended the cal-o season 8 with 7-1 records (Atlantic did not play this season), and the Pacific team has a shot of passing by cal-im and going straight to cal-m.
The Immortal One.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:25 am UTC

What pub servers (if any) do you guys run?

Rasputin

Postby Rasputin » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:28 am UTC

mathmagic wrote:What pub servers (if any) do you guys run?

We just have private servers at the moment. Probably won't get a pub until sponsors throw one our way.
The Immortal One.

Mathmagic

Re: CS

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:17 am UTC

Bump'd for some of the new ones on these here fora. :D

Anybody interested in swapping Steam ID's? I mainly play CS:S, but I'd be up for a couple rounds of 1.6 if you're up for it. :)

CrackTheSky

Re: CS

Postby CrackTheSky » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:32 am UTC

I play CS:S sporadically. I got it relatively recently and had been playing CS 1.6 for about a year beforehand. I've never, ever been good, but I always have fun playing. My favorite maps are iceworld in all its incarnations (I tend to prefer faster-moving games), though occasionally I'll play on dust/dust_2 servers. I really like italy, it's probably my favorite. As far as weapons go, I love the Deagle. I'm also a fan of the Famas and Scout.

My name in the game is crackerz (account name Crack_The_Sky), feel free to add me and if anyone ever wants to play just send a message my way through Steam's IM service.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Re: Counterstrike!

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:05 pm UTC

I used to play the hell out of CS.
Was in several clans, I think we played in OLG leagues though.
Stopped playing after it got boring, but then I discovered perm exp warcraft 3 mod servers.

So I will generally join a perm exp server and level up every race to 10, then move on.
Been playing on the frozenshock servers recently. But call of duty 4 and EQ2 have taken up all my time since december.

I never got into CS Source. It felt sluggish and frankely I couldn't own nearly as much at it.

I hate most maps that encourage camping. And tend to enjoy maps that encourage rushing.

Hate assault and Dust.
Love Inferno and Dust2.

I always enjoyed the map de_museum and de_walmart as well.
I only play the fy maps when I feel like having a really good score, as rushers are greatly rewarded on those maps with lots of flanking kills.

Fav gun is colt, cause it does good damage and is more forgiving than the AK, when you are shooting on the run.

Least favorite guns are glock and AWP.
I sware glock add's health to your enemies, and AWP falls into two catagories:
1) Noobs = 90% of awp users.
2) Pros = 10% at most.

Nothing I hate more than a noobie camping de_aztec with his noob stick. or the bridge on Dust.

Xfire: Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

i <3 aztec. piranesi is also good if you have alot of players. office is fun too, but gets old really fast.

and god bless the ak-47.

Ixtellor wrote:Least favorite guns are glock and AWP.
I sware glock add's health to your enemies, and AWP falls into two catagories:
1) Noobs = 90% of awp users.
2) Pros = 10% at most.

a burst fire glock is actually a decent sidearm. i get a headshot 80% of the time (at a close enough range, that is). id choose glock over USP. but then again why use either when theres the deagle?

and the awp seriously needs to get nerfed. not in terms of the 1 hit kill, but it should be WAY harder to get that hit. you should have to be standing completely still to get an accurate shot off. im sick of people being able to use a 1 hit kill gun the same as they use an m4.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:you should have to be standing completely still to get an accurate shot off.
You do. The problem is that they calculate whether you're standing still by your current speed, not a history of your speed.

That said, I looooove the scout. I especially love using like a super-shotgun. (I do that as a Sniper in TF2 as well.) Luckily most scout skill transfers to the AWP reasonably well so I can be dangerous with an AWP, too.

However, because of TF2 I really don't find myself playing CS:S anymore.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:
segmentation fault wrote:you should have to be standing completely still to get an accurate shot off.
You do. The problem is that they calculate whether you're standing still by your current speed, not a history of your speed.

yeah thats what i mean. if you let go of your arrow key, you still move a bit, but in that time can still somehow get an accurate shot off with a heavy weight sniper rifle. le sigh.

you should only be allowed to get an accurate shot if youre sitting there, not moving, crouched. thats the only way i can see a level playing field with a 1 hit kill sniper rifle.

either that or make all guns 1 hit kill since they usually are in real life anyway.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

segmentation fault wrote:you should only be allowed to get an accurate shot if youre sitting there, not moving, crouched. thats the only way i can see a level playing field with a 1 hit kill sniper rifle.

either that or make all guns 1 hit kill since they usually are in real life anyway.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've "beaten" an AWPer with my Scout. I'll take scout over AWP any day.

As far as pistols go, my favourite would be the Five-Seven, followed closely by the Glock.

Yrael

CS:S

Postby Yrael » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

Well after a search I see that there is no dedicated CS:S topic.

Us all being some sort of gamers I assume I'm not the only kid here that plays Counter Strike:Source(sorry to those who were expecting a cascading style sheets game :D)

So we might as well just talk about the game and you!
I'll start
I've been playing for about 2 years, I started with 1.6 then moved on to source. This is my first season of CAL-O my team sucks, we blame it on the ACS causing us to have bad shot recognition :P, but I wouldn't say I'm bad it just seems that during matches I suck much more then I do in scrims.

I'm an upper admin on the brand spanking new Noob Asylum game community come and visit!!!

connect 75.102.27.60:27015 (gungame)
connect 72.51.60.65:27015 (office)
connect 69.28.221.160:27015 (office unlimited)
connect 66.225.198.146:27015 (deathmatch)

We'd really appreciate it if any one who plays would come by and play for a while, hopefully we'll get more players soon. Currently the the people who play there are from KFC and Clearly Outplayed mostly along with any one who might stumble on to our servers. Both teams aren't famous or anything but some who play CAL might have heard of CO.

Umm and I dunno what are you guys' favorite maps?guns?skin? lol

Edit: I guess there was one :P

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:20 am UTC

I've been playing since 1.5 and I have to say personally, 1.6 feels better than Source. Source doesn't seem to add anything to the core mechanics to the game other than the fact the gun takes up half my screen. That's personal prejudice though. Seriously, the only guns you ever need to buy are the Navy MP5, Colt M4 and Ak-47. Taking a AWP or a Scout is fun (in Scout terms, extreme fun) isn't essential except for maps like de_aztec with good multiple firing lanes. Both starting pistols are decent but USP is slightly better IMHO - Deagle only when you have cash to spare and are stocked on grenades and armour. De_train, de_aztec and de_inferno are awesometastic.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:04 pm UTC

When I do play counterstrike, I rarely play the legitimate objective-based formats. 95% of the time I play Gun Games, because I frankly enjoy them a lot. Occasionally I'll play on a zombie server, and even more occasionally I'll play a normal game. Only once or twice have I ever been on a Surf server. Such a strange way to play...
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue May 11, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

Counter Strike: Source has been updated with a new beta, which you have to opt in to here

All they appear to have added is ungodly quantities of bloom
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Amalith

Postby Amalith » Wed May 12, 2010 1:31 am UTC

Awia wrote:Counter Strike: Source has been updated with a new beta, which you have to opt in to here

All they appear to have added is ungodly quantities of bloom
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

From what I see on that link, the main reason for the update is to integrate steam community the same way it currently is with TF2. Achievements, stats, and avatars (hopefully they don't make me use my steam name though. Since I share the account, I like being able to change it so we can still maintain seperate identities).

big boss

Postby big boss » Wed May 26, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

So has/does anyone play CS competitively? I used to play in CAL when it was still around. My clan made it to the semi-finals in the playoffs in CAL-m, then we broke up because of server payment issues.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

psion

Postby psion » Thu May 27, 2010 10:29 am UTC

big boss wrote:So has/does anyone play CS competitively? I used to play in CAL when it was still around. My clan made it to the semi-finals in the playoffs in CAL-m, then we broke up because of server payment issues.

Same story for me.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun May 30, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

Amalith wrote:hopefully they don't make me use my steam name though. Since I share the account, I like being able to change it so we can still maintain seperate identities

Which is a thing that you can do with your steam name, as well.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Return to “Gaming”