[READ OP] Flareportals: A Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mishrak

[READ OP] Flareportals: A Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

Postby Mishrak » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

Welcome friends to Flareportals, an XKCD Dwarf Fortress Succession game!

Refer to this post for the original start.

For those who are new, this works quite simply as such: Each person plays 1 year of time in Dwarf Fortress. When spring arrives, save the file, zip it, and upload it to http://dffd.wimbli.com/. Post pictures and do a write-up of sorts with funny stories to go along with it [this is part of your turn, don't neglect it!]. You're welcome to either post it all at once, or in parts as you go, but try to wrap it up within a reasonable time frame (more below). You may want to subscribe to the thread. I'm open to communicating via PMs and of course in the thread. This will help keep the game moving if you do it too.

Updated 6/13/2013:
Signup: We're going to change the way sign-ups work. Rather than use a roster sign-up, the fort will be playable on a "pick-up and leave" basis. The general premise is this: When the current player is done with their turn, they will post the fort and then whomever wants to pick it up, can pick it up. The first person to post and say they're ready to play it can do so, if the fort is open. When they have played 1 year of game time, they can then post the game file, and their write-up and the fort is open for whomever wants to pick it up again. The caveat to this is that you need to communicate in the thread. After enough time with no communication, I'll declare the game open for whoever wants to pick it up. This will be up to my discretion, but I'll probably keep it at around two weeks. Please, if you don't believe you can finish your turn in a reasonable time, don't pick up the game. I know stuff happens, but wait until you have a good amount of time to do it. This includes the write-up. However, if you're keeping us up to date and it looks like your fort is progressing well, I won't just discard your work. All the other rules apply as before.

Some Basics
- We'll use the latest version of Dwarf Fortress, v0.34.11.
- Lazy Newb Pack Recommended
- Tilesets are OK.
- No mods or DF Hack allowed
- No population cap restrictions unless we run into FPS issues
- use shift + n to leave NOTES for people in areas of interest or stuff that isn't self explanatory (especially levers)
- SEASONAL AUTOSAVE - Turn it on.

Overlord Mandate
Our very own SecondTalon will be the not-so Benevolent "Overlord" who will issue random mandates that the current player must comply with. The hard part is, even if we give him a room full of gold and gem-encrusted aluminum furniture, he may still throw a drunken tantrum and kill our legendary Armorsmith. Oh well, we'll just have to deal with it.

Fort Status: Open

[Open, In Progress, Closed]

Player Listr - Current player is bolded
1) Mishrak
2) NieXS Post 1 Post 2
3) ebbitten
4) New User
5) Ahama Save Writeup
6) Quizatzhaderac
7)
8)
9)
10)

The Embark:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I'm using Boatmurdered as a model and most of what they came up with applies here:

Spoiler:
http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Update%201-1/
Rules:
One year = one turn, from spring of one year to spring of the next. Once you see the cheery green "Spring has arrived!" text, save it, zip it, and get it to the next player. Upload it torapidshare.com or something similar, and post the link to your savegame so the next person can get it and begin. Feel free to break your turn up into a bunch of posts, but let's try and keep it moving along.

Once it's your turn, you get a week from the time that the link is posted to take your turn. If you start but can't finish, your successor has the option to pick up where you left off and play out the rest of your turn and their. If you don't start, then the old savegame just goes to the next player. If you trash the fort to total -- and I mean TOTAL -- unplayability (e.g. magma flood oh god), we'll revert to an old save, but overcoming setbacks is half the fun, so hopefully we won't have to do this.

Pretty much anything goes except for the following: 1) using huge bridge hallways to kill demons/seiging armies, and 2) things that make later turns totally unplayable such as flooding the world, mining adamantine, or removing bridges in creative ways so that the pathing eats it and the bridges can't be reconstructed and the fortress descends into an orgy of violence and starvation. If you do this, we roll back to an old save and everyone gets dwarven blue balls (which are shorter, but stronger, than the regular variety), so nobody do this please

If you want in on this, please post and include your email address so that I can get hold of you (read: nag you to take your turn) if need be. No email = no play

We'll start with the current version (22f) and use that until further notice. As updates happen, we'll use later versions but please mention the version number when you post your save. Using new saves with old versions makes bad things happen.

Mini-FAQ
How to save game, please?
Hit ESC, then go down to 'save game'. Once you've done that, go to your DF folder, then the 'data' directory, then the 'save' directory. Get region1.sav and the 'region1' folder and put them in a zip file.

How to load old save game, please?
Get the zip file and unzip the contents into your data/save directory. If you have a game going on and don't want to lose it, back up your save directory first since unzipping the new one will wipe out your first world, whatever it is, along with any games running in it.

Oh god how do I do X?
First, check the wiki, then if you still can't figure it out, check out the official DF thread here, and if you still can't, ask away!

I don't want to play a turn but can I be a dwarf in your fortress?
You probably want Remmy's awesome Dwarf Dream Vacation thread!

I'm not very good at this game, can I still play?
Hell yeah!

Old Stuff:
Spoiler:
In order to sign up you must PM me on the forums an email address you can be reached at. No email, no signup. Don't post your email in the thread for the world to see. The email is so you can be reached outside the forum. The order will be on a first come, first serve basis. If you want a specific place not already taken on the list, let me know. If you're already on the list, wait until your turn has
passed to request another turn. Just post in the thread for that or you can PM me, whichever.

For those who are new, this works quite simply as such: Each person has a week to play 1 year of time in Dwarf Fortress. When spring arrives, save the file, zip it, and upload it to http://dffd.wimbli.com/. Post pictures and do a write-up of sorts with funny stories to go along with it. You're welcome to either post it all at once, or in parts as you go, but wrap it up after a week. If for some reason you want to finish early, the next person is quite welcome to add the time left to their own. Note: The week is a hard limit. If you don't post it by then, you will be skipped. Feel free to post it faster. The week time limit starts (roughly) when the save from the previous person is posted. You may want to subscribe to the thread. I'll try to shoot out a private message to the next person when I see someone has posted, but in case I'm unable to, try and stay on top of it as well!
Last edited by Mishrak on Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:01 pm UTC, edited 59 times in total.

Mishrak

Re: FlarePortals: an DF Succession Game (Yarr coffee instant

Postby Mishrak » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

Reserved.

Forum is cropping those images. If you right-click / view image, it will fix it.

I'll be working on this during the week. I'll try to get an update in before I'm out of town the following weekend, but I may not be able to, if it looks like I'm not, then I'll post what I have and NieXS can have what's left of my time. Lets use this time to get more people involved, ask some questions, and solicit any feedback!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Flareportals: an DF Succession Game (Yarr coffee instant

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

REQUIREMENT - Things that are required and, once set, will never change. Example Required - A Well.
DEMAND - Things that are required and, once set, may increase or decrease with time. Example - Demand - A Meeting Area covering a 5x5 spaces exactly OR covering 35 total spaces.
MANDATE - Production-related Demands. Can be satisfied (and removed) with successful productions. Unlike Requirements and Demands, Mandates don't care what you have on-hand.

Unlike in-game Noble requirements, mine may be a bit more complicated. I may Mandate that you decorate a ring with Bone, for example, or that you create weaponry and armor to arm ten dwarves.

DEMAND : Every Dwarf needs a bedroom of at least 5 squares.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

To be completely clear, do you want every dwarf to be specifically assigned a bedroom, or do you just want enough bedrooms so that each dwarf can have one?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

Every dwarf needs a bedroom assigned to them with at least five squares of space (counting a door if one is built).

You do not necessarily have to manually assign them - just build the room an they will claim it when they sleep.

So... Getting prepped for your first migration wave might not be a bad idea.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pacel

Re: Flareportals: A DF Succession Game (Yarr word filter)

Postby pacel » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:01 am UTC

Since this is the current thread I am in, I have been talking to Mishrak since he had this plan so I figured I should actually sign up so yeah.

Mishrak

Re: Flareportals: A DF Succession Game

Postby Mishrak » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:21 am UTC

Added.

Also, I'm done with the first year. I'll make an update on Wednesday when I have time to polish the writeup.

I may have screwed up and not paid total attention to the civilizations nearby. We definitely didn't get any elven or human caravans, and the only civ on the 'c' screen is Dwarven. I'm hoping that's not the case for goblins, but it's certainly possible. If that's the case, we'll have to dig deep, or try some mega project, or worst case scenario - start over. I'd rather not start over though. Let me know what you guys' thoughts are on this issue.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

I don't care about the civilations much. The caravans would be helpful I suppose, but we'll have to make do without. I am accustomed to just buying all the cloth I need, but this will force me to learn to get it another way I guess.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

You can get it either via pigtail/rope reed farms, or by cavern diving and harvesting spider silk.

I've done pigtail farms before and it actually works quite well. You can only harvest those in the summer and the fall though. You also need to make sure you turn off brewing them, or you'll wind up brewing your cloth stuffs. But pigtail booze is as good as any other booze, so it's a nice source of stuff to brew until you need the cloth.

[edited] Updated OP with details on the tileset, if anyone with experience has more clarification as to whether or not the tileset affects the save file, feel free to chime in :)

New User

Postby New User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

I just always found it much easier and quicker to craft useless trinkets and trade them for bins of cloth!
Safer, too, in the case of spider silk...
It usually doesn't take long to get a legendary trinket-maker, anyway.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Re: Flareportals: A Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

Postby Ralith The Third » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Delay me until the end for now. I may not be able to participate at all, but I'm certainly not going to be able to in three weeks.
Omni.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

No problem. Holler at me again when you're ready. Making my post tomorrow and the next person can move forward :)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:23 am UTC

DEMAND : Every Dwarf needs a bedroom of at least 5 squares.

MANDATE : Craft 12 beds
MANDATE : Craft 12 doors
MANDATE : Craft 1 ring

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Limulninur, expedition leader, First log entry:
It was a rather rude interruption of mealtime to be summoned before the Royal Baron of the Mountainhome and not even offered a drink as compensation. Instead I was comissioned to start a new fortress in some remote wilderness "for the glory of all Enamonget". As if I hadn't heard that a thousand times before. Assigned to me are a rabble of drunkards and idiots (not that I myself am exempt from such status) and we set forth for our new location, arriving without much difficulty. Except for the putrid swamps we had to traverse. And the barren badlands. And the haunted forest whose grass was overgrown with fetid tendrils and poisonous blood rains. Details, details.
We have arrived though and set about to begin work on the fortress that has officially been named Flareportals. Whatever that means. As we started unloading our wagon, a messenger pigeon arrived with a Mandate from SecondTalon McUrist. "Every Dwarf must have a bedroom." Are you kidding me? This ridiculous noble isn't even living here and yet is already issuing mandates. How would he know whether or not there were no bedrooms? Well, we'll comply with it for now.

1st Slate, 551, Mid-Spring:
By Armok! This place might not be so worthless afterall. We initially went about setting up our living quarters and places for our livestock. It's a miracle they survived the journey, so we had to make sure they're well taken care of- our livelihood depends on it. While digging an exploratory staircase in search of rock, we hit, almost simultaneously, veins of hematite and bituminous coal. Our craftsdwarves will rejoice as they no longer need to mow down swathes of trees to sustain the fires of our industry. They can use that instead to satisfy the bed demand of our fearless noble SecondTalon.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Shortly thereafter, following the same exploratory staircase path, we hit something I was very fearful of - a deep underground cavern. Stories of fearsome, fire-breathing Balrogs and Titans with dust clouds flooded my memory and I immediately ordered a re-routing of the stairs and a sealing off of that cavern.

Spoiler:

Hopefully we're close enough to the surface that nothing escapes from the abyss.

1st Hematite, 551, Early Summer

Spring has gone smoothly. Summer was ushered in by Giant Flying Squirrels that initially caused me great discomfort and required at least one change of pants. Fortunately, they only seem to be checking us out.

Spoiler:

We've nearly completed construction of an initial set of bedrooms as mandated by SecondTalon who is undoubtedly enjoying lavish meals of dingo meat while wearing his unicorn-bone decorated crown and sitting on his golden throne, or whatever it is uninvolved nobles do in their spare time. Meanwhile, we continue to toil to get the fort to a survivable state.

Spoiler:

As a side note, everything is covered with cave moss. This must be a sideaffect of breaching the cavern. Our cattle seem to be able to graze on it, so we can safely move them inside.

Spoiler:

9th Malachite, 551, Mid-Summer
Our first migrants arrived. We were so busy we barely noticed, because there were only THREE of them. They came bearing the seal of our benevolent SecondTalon, so he must have handpicked these fellows to join us. That theory is further reinforced by just how skilled they are. Or unskilled, depending on how you look at it. The best of the three was a highly proficient Wood Burner. Brilliant. I put him to work as a furnace operator since he likes burning things so much.

14th Malachite, 551, Mid-Summer
Giant Keas. Damn them. They stole our wheelbarrows and killed one of our dogs, but our two hunters chased them off. I'll have to be on more alert now that we've seen them once. Chances are more of them will come in the future. I'm frustrated that they escaped, but I'll be prepared next time.

Spoiler:

1st Limestone, 551, Early Autumn
After the Giant Kea surprise, we decided to move everything inside except for our waste disposal. Whether we put walls up outside or not remains to be seen, but there's little reason to venture outdoors right now, save for water and for wood. We've not seen a wink of an outpost Liason or Trade Caravan in all this time. Hopefully SecondTalon isn't behind that as well, but who knows at this point. While we're managing, we could certainly use some more supplies. We're taking this time to prepare for an inevitably larger migration soon as the extra labor would be most welcome.

Spoiler:

Our next project will be a well. While I believe the climate is warm enough, we don't know for certain what the winter season will bring. And if those Keas show up again, we'll be in trouble.

28th Limestone, 551, Early Autumn
SecondTalon has quite the twisted sense of humor to send us yet another migration wave of precisely 3 dwarves. At least one of them is skilled in something useful, namely farming. The other two are fishers, and that's about as useless as our previous woodburner. These fools also were carrying an official charter with our fair noble's seal. What does he have against us anyway? Oh well, more labor I guess.

7th Timber, 551, Late Autumn
The construction of the well is mostly complete. Our seemingly masterful dwarven engineers designed a marvelous well. The only problem with said well is they built it on the wrong level, and calculations had to be made to try and remedy the problem. Unfortunately, they miscaluclated the calculations and flooded half of the area, including the lower part of a shaft. After some clever rerouting, and a bit of luck, we managed to save the well and no one was harmed in the process. Hopefully, if we tap magma, they'll do a better job planning ahead.

Spoiler:

13th Timber, 551, Late Autumn
A dwarven caravan bearing the seal of SecondTalon McUrist! How generous indeed! To send a caravan right on the cusp of winter. And of course, we've been so busy trying to survive that we have nothing to trade with them. Perhaps they can just enjoy our delightful trade depot for the winter.

Spoiler:

1st Moonstone, 551, Early Winter
Discussions with the outpost liason are underway. That should return a favorable report to SecondTalon in regards to his mandate. Perhaps we have done too well a job, but I honestly anticipated him sending more migrants than this. We managed to almost double our size in the span of a year, but that's hardly significant growth. Food supplies are decent, along with an ample supply of alcohol. The livestock are doing great. We've begun construction of a more suitable living and dining area and moved the majority of our workings inside where it's safe from Giant Keas and Giant Thrips.

Spoiler:

2th Obsidian, 551, Late Winter
We are under heavy attack by two flocks of giant birds . The Keas have returned and are accompanied by Wren Women . Our two marksdwarves have made themselves useful and killed a few of them, but they are relentless as the Winter draws to a close. As I was surveying the battle, I noticed a scroll that one of the dead Keas was carrying. It bore SecondTalon's seal and read, "Craft twelve beds, twelve doors and one ring, in addition to the current bedroom requirements." Bloody hell. Are the Keas his doing too?
Last edited by Mishrak on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:13 am UTC

NieXS is up next :)

Just an fyi, I've marked some areas of interest with notes (shift+n), so if there's something that looks confusing, try that or pm me.

Upload pending.

Here's the file.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7535

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Alright, I'm downloading the save right now and I'll start playing it this afternoon.
she/her

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

Sweet!

I'm not sure if I like it better with ST's real name, or with the wordfilter adjustment better. Either way, I hope you don't mind being painted as a crazy noble with a unicorn bone crown :P

Ahama

Postby Ahama » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

I'd like to join in. I'm experienced at DF so I'll know what I'm at. Put me in any time, preferably soon though.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Ahama has signed up via PM. Putting him in the open 3rd slot, as he said sooner is better.

I'll be out of touch here in about 3 hours, so any PMs after that, I'll get Sunday Night / Monday.

[edit]Ninja'd? You must have forgot to actually hit post :P as I received your PM before you posted. Funny!

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

[insert standard dwarven introduction here]

I was appalled to find out just how little bureaucracy there was in the fortress! Can you believe that we did not even have a manager, not to mention a bookkeeper? Nor was there any office space for paperwork! One of my first actions as this year's administrator of this fortress was appointing them, as well and seeing that they had somewhere quiet to work.

Spoiler:
I also found out we had a bit of a wildlife problem. I'll see to that once we get some more migrants, so we can have a dedicated military.

My main objectives for this year are:

* Moving everything indoors
* Set up a better defense, both from the outdoors and from the caverns
* Start exploiting the first cavern
* Get our steel industry going
* Make a higher well, using water from the river

Spoiler:
Our bookkeeper hard at work in his office, with the future well room on the right

Migrants arrive!

Spoiler:

...28 of them!

Spoiler:
Their skill breakdown

We have a total of 56 bedrooms so we still fill SexyTalon's demand, thankfully. I've made most of them haulers, farmers and furnace operators. There are some skilled soldiers also, as well as two doctors, which we'll doubtlessly need in the course of military training.

Spoiler:
Our military uniform. All that's left to do is actually create all that armor.

Spoiler:
Our bureaucrats working in their offices, with the new barracks being dug out at the bottom.

Spoiler:
Our peasants hard at work making coke. Isn't it beautiful?

Elves have arrived! We might not be alone in this world after all. I hope we have something to give them that they won't find offensive.
Spoiler:

We also find our first thief! We truly aren't alone in this world!
Spoiler:

Now that we have oodles of coke (635 units!), we can start making iron. After that, we can get some delicious, delicious steel.
Spoiler:

Summer has come, and with that I conclude my Spring report. None of my yearly objectives have been completed, but we're on our way to do them.

Spoiler:
The fortress status screen at the beginning of Summer.
she/her

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:26 am UTC

Double posting because I have finished my turn.

==SUMMER==

Trading with the elves was pretty uneventful, we got a handful of cloth bins for a delicious giant kea roast.
Spoiler:

We get our first fey mood!
Spoiler:

Miner Vabôkkor created a most wonderful chalk cabinet! Surely this will look most wonderful in SexyTalon's quarters once he moves in!
Spoiler:

We're running out of wood, so I order that our nearby forest be clearcut.
Spoiler:

We get EVEN MORE migrants. This wave was smaller though: only 10 dwarves. We got a great Weaponsmith, great Metalcrafter, great Metalsmith and great Strand Extractor, along with some more forgettable people.
Spoiler:

Our fort's MVP

We now have a somewhat okay amount of iron bars (156), so I order some pig iron bars made so we can finally get some sweet steel, while setting up some exploratory digging for more hematite.

Meanwhile we have our first accident! Urvad Amkolmeng suffers foot and wrist injuries while fighting a Giant Kea. She's been moved to a hospital, where hopefully our doctors will take good care of her.
Spoiler:

We get some more thiefs, but it's nothing to write home about. Steel production is underway: we have some 50 bars in stock, and it's time to start making armor for our soldiers. And this concludes my Summer report.

==AUTUMN==

I order a reservoir and filling channel designated for our new well. I still haven't decided where to make the drainage tunnel go to. Probably just onto the first cave. Meanwhile, Urvad picks a fight with a Giant Kea and loses. She's our first casuality. I order our squad to defend her, and in the ensuing fight, another soldier, Mûthkat Tastrodmûthkat, perishes. They will be remembered. I order that tombs be dug for them. We couldn't recover Mûthkat's body, however.
Spoiler:

Their resting places.

More migrants arrive, nine of them this time. Straight into the military, all of them. They will be our melee squad. Except for one of them, who on closer inspection seems to be a doctor. I finally start production of their armor and weapons. I also start work on the machinery required for the new well, and a dwarven caravan arrives!
Spoiler:

Our trade product for this year will be coffins. Steel coffins.
Spoiler:

I did not see how many wagons there were but they brought a preposterous amount of leather. I only traded some cheese for a barrel of prepared food; I didn't have the courage to actually trade away a coffin. This concludes my Autumn report; I believe we will have our new well done by the end of winter, as well as an armed military. We have 58 dwarves; we will need a bedroom expansion also to avoid incurring SexyTalon's wrath.

==WINTER==

Spoiler:

I think we are rather well-stocked in coke and steel.

We had another fey mood, from a gem setter this time. While he's hard at work, I find out that we had somehow ran out of stone (!) due to chalk being used as a flux stone, so I start digging out new bedrooms to placate our beloved overlord. This will allow us to remove the bedrooms in the dirt layer, because no dwarf deserves an underground mud hut.
Spoiler:

Our newest artifact:
Spoiler:

We found cassiterite! We don't need it, really, but it gives us some variety for furniture. I also discovered that a lot of plump helmets were withering in the fields, so I expanded our food stockpile.

Ïngiz Èrithbakust has given birth to a girl! Our first native!
Spoiler:

And, in less than one in-game month, another EIGHT babies have been born.
Spoiler:

With less than one month until my administration is over, I find that someone has fallen into the river!
Spoiler:

I honestly have no idea what someone could be doing to fall down there... he managed to get out unharmed though.

Oh... apparently there are two logs in the bottom of the stream and they're all trying to get them. What the hell. I've ordered that a bridge be built across the stream so that more people don't drown trying to get them.
Spoiler:

OH FUCK, I just realized, I built the pump at the wrong level, so you have to be REALLY CAREFUL while filling the reservoir for the new well. Either that or just rebuild the pump lower down.

...and so my turn ends! Our beloved fortress has now 70 dwarves, with no less than 12 babies being born this year. We have 14 soldiers to defend us (sadly their armor and weapons still haven't been made). Our food stocks are strong; our drink supply has been neglected a bit, but it's recoverable. We have plenty of steel and coal, and we have no immediate need for magma. I'd say that the state of our fortress is good. The new well project has backfired a bit but it should be manageable.
Spoiler:

The status screen at the end of the year.
Spoiler:

The main fortress floor.

Here's the save file:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7548
she/her

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

Really cool stuff! I'm quite glad to see that the tileset has no bearing at all on the save file.

I do hope you made the ring, doors and beds that ST mandated, though. Otherwise I don't know what's going to happen. :-s

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

I had to make about 20 new doors and beds for the new bedrooms so I think we're covered on that, but I thought you had made a ring. D:
she/her

Ahama

Postby Ahama » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Downloading save now. Will start immediately.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Negative, didn't make the ring yet. ST issued that mandate after I had finished my year, I just hadn't posted my write-up.

He didn't give a specific timeframe, so maybe we'll be OK, but Ahama probably should make one quickly or we might get some noble rage.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:56 am UTC

There was no ring made?

For the failed Mandate, the following demands are now in play.

DEMAND: Every Dwarf needs a bedroom of at least 25 squares.
DEMAND: Every Dwarf needs a personal Weapon Rack
DEMAND: Every Dwarf needs a personal Armor Stand
DEMAND: Every Dwarf needs a personal Chest (Box or Bag will suffice)
DEMAND: Every Dwarf needs a personal Cabinet
DEMAND: Every Dwarf needs a door to their room

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:02 am UTC

Oh good crap!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:50 am UTC

I'm still being nice. Don't miss anymore mandates and I won't have to get mean.

Ahama

Postby Ahama » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O *spontaneously combusts*

Edit: There are 96 Dwarves!!!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

I was worried about that.

You could probably remodel existing bedrooms by digging out the wall and sealing one of the doors with a wall section (or just leave them each with two doors), that way you turn two 2x3 bedrooms into one 5x3 bedroom.

Bad math is bad. Just try and remodel what's already there, if you can. You'll still have to dig out new ones, but you can probably use what's already there without too much loss. Just a pain in the arse.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

You can turn 3 2x3 rooms into one 8x3 with 3 doors - 27 squares by Talon's reckoning.

Still a lot more digging.
Omni.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

Good luck, Ahama! You're going to need it!

I suggest using the production manager, a couple of mason shops, drafting several more masons, and as many diggers as you have picks. And never be afraid to just.. you know.. construct walls and floors and whatnot.

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

As far as mandates go this isn't actually THAT painful, even more so if you use macros to designate and build the bedrooms. Dwarves are scarily fast at doing things, or at least they were while I was playing.
she/her

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

My initial reaction was: "That's too harsh." but upon reflection, it's not terrible. It's a lot more than i generally do in most forts, but with a manager, it shouldn't take that long.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

It would be easier to meet the demand if the dwarf population were culled a bit.
Just sayin'.

Ahama

Postby Ahama » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

There is no easy way to say this, but I keep my laptop turned on quite a bit. One of my family members borrowed it and wore the battery down, so when it shut down with DF still on, I lost all progress. I can give what happened, if you want, but I will have no save for afterwards.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

Er, you don't have seasonal autosave on? :cry:

Ahama

Postby Ahama » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

Unfortunately not...trust me, I am ready to kill

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Well, there's still time between now and late sunday / early monday, when your week would be up, provided you want to do it again. Or, if you're not up for it (which would be totally understandable) you can skip out a turn and let someone else have a go from the previous save.

It's your call, and I'm cool with whichever.

Also, turn seasonal autosave on. ~.~

Ahama

Postby Ahama » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

someone else can start, I will take a turn later

Return to “Gaming”