Hex MMOTCG by Cryptozoic

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Metaphysician

Hex MMOTCG by Cryptozoic

Postby Metaphysician » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

This is a project I have been anticipating for a long time. The game is deep. Both a free to play modeled pve side and a pay to play (but boosters are only 2 bucks) pvp side. Drafting, constructed tournaments. Single Player PvE Dungeons that once beaten turn into 3 person raids. Mechanics that take full advantage of the digital model and revolutionize typical TCG concepts. The game looks amazing so far. There is a twitch stream at 5 o'clock PST tonight where they will showcase gameplay and answer questions. This thread is for people interested in the game, or those that have already backed the game on KS. There are a few days left for backing on KS and many of the options offer significant value for the start of the game. Because they just reached 1.8 million, all kickstarter backers also get alpha access. I personally have backed at the Guild Master tier. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game?ref=live I'm interested to see if anybody else here is planning on playing the game. They have already stated that they plan on pursuing e-sports level competition, and that they want committed pvp players to have the ability to go pro and make a living at the game, which is very exciting. Considering the insane level of backing here I expect the game to be around forever.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Re: Hex MMOTCG by Cryptozoic

Postby Xeio » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

I am ashamed to say I backed at the king tier.

But then I think "Well, I spend more on magic every time a set releases". This is a very poor justification for spending money.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:I am ashamed to say I backed at the king tier.

But then I think "Well, I spend more on magic every time a set releases". This is a very poor justification for spending money.

Well, you spent half what I did. But I spend loads on MTG and I am planning on playing this instead. The thing is, I'm looking at it not as spending money on a video game, but on a TCG, and the Guild Master tier has a lot of value (free draft per week for the first year, that's 156 boosters on top of the 159 raw boosters you get for backing after stretch goals, and the Primal Pack). Plus I get 3 codes redeemable for 30 boosters each which I plan on donating to my guild so we can do some guild draft sessions for practice on release, all the cards will then be donated to the guild pool to help build test decks.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

I'm not sure I get the appeal to playing a CG as an MMO?

Although, that said, if they have a graphics limited variant and it's something you can do, while, say, crunching data, I'd be impressed.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm not sure I get the appeal to playing a CG as an MMO?

Although, that said, if they have a graphics limited variant and it's something you can do, while, say, crunching data, I'd be impressed.

They are planning on releasing the game for mobile devices, PC and Mac, so, yeah that should actually be possible. The appeal of the CG as an MMO is mostly that the most difficult thing about TCGs is finding consistent play on anything more than a weekly basis (if you're lucky) with this you log in, you can be in a guild that you can playtest with, draft with, you can compete in tournaments or non-competitive skirmish matches, you can do solo or group pve. I guess it's probably not for everybody but for me I just like the idea of being able to actually play the game I spend tons of money on as much as I want.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:15 am UTC

I have a bunch of cards on MTGO, but there are some slowness issues to that especially since I mostly play multiplayer. I'm hoping Hex will avoid some of those (alpha play is obviously slow since the interface is still be worked on). I actually only got back into paper magic because a bunch of coworkers decided to play, we'll see about this, I'm hoping the PvE is engaging, and maybe the fort thing will be cool.

I also may, or may not, have upped to the raid leader tier.

<_<

>_>

<_<

Well at least I can't spend any more money...

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:26 am UTC

Oh, so what's the game like then? Comparable to magic? What's the MMO element; as you play you gain new cards?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:47 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Oh, so what's the game like then? Comparable to magic? What's the MMO element; as you play you gain new cards?
It sounds like the lng term goal of PvE is mainly raiding/trading for equipment, though you can also earn PvE cards like that.

And yes, the first iteration is very similar to Magic, you can see alpha game play of the first set on their Twitch feed. I'm looking forward to how they push things you can't do in paper TCGs, they have some like that already (modify cards in hidden zones, 3 sided cards, cards with memory).

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:10 am UTC

The game plays similarly to Magic at its core, but employs some really innovative mechanics that utilize the digital nature of the game and wouldn't be possible in paper (like cards getting permanent effects on them for the life of the game, even if they get returned to your hand or shuffled into your deck, the effect stays on). The MMO aspect isn't like WoW. There is no 3d space you move around in, but there is a story line you can play through in PvE, aligning yourself with factions and battling through dungeons and raids. The opponents you fight against you fight through a TCG match. You get cards from the PvE monsters and bosses that you fight. There is also equipment for your champion that gives you bonuses in PvE, there is also equipment that you can apply to individual cards that changes or adds to the way they play. I'd highly recommend just checking out the info thread on the Cryptozoic forums if this sounds interesting to you.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

I backed and am so excite. I love TCG's and this looks really fun and it's nice to be getting into something at the start rather than joining Magic fifty years after all my friends.

velkito

Postby velkito » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

I'm trying to back this one up and the whole amazon thing confuses me. I'm paying electronically, right? What the hell is a billing address for? Can I leave semi-random stuff there?

Sorry, I've had a pretty limited experience with paying online for stuff..

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

velkito wrote:I'm trying to back this one up and the whole amazon thing confuses me. I'm paying electronically, right? What the hell is a billing address for? Can I leave semi-random stuff there?

How are you paying? Usually a billing address is used to validate the payment method (credit cards, most commonly). Not sure how paypal or whatever works, if that's also processed by Amazon.

velkito

Postby velkito » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
velkito wrote:I'm trying to back this one up and the whole amazon thing confuses me. I'm paying electronically, right? What the hell is a billing address for? Can I leave semi-random stuff there?

How are you paying? Usually a billing address is used to validate the payment method (credit cards, most commonly). Not sure how paypal or whatever works, if that's also processed by Amazon.

Er..a debit card, Visa Electron. Not sure if it would go as "Visa" >.<

And to top this off, Paypal's given me crap about sending them a photo and some document about confirming my identity, so they're not an option..

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

velkito wrote:Er..a debit card, Visa Electron. Not sure if it would go as "Visa" >.<
So then semi-random stuff is a no-no. It's got to match whatever was used to set up your payment card.

EDIT: Though if it's a gift card or something it obviously has nothing to match to.

LLCoolDave

Postby LLCoolDave » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

Considering the just released update to the MTGO Beta Client has managed to lose functionality at the cost of being even less responsive and stable, it seems like a good idea to look for alternatives and this seems like the obvious choice. The gameplay is very clearly "inspired" my MtG (as in, it seems that except for the precise execution of the ressource system the backbone is just a carbon copy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing) so transitioning should be fairly natural.

Decided to hop in at the King Tier as that seems to have the best cost/value ratio for PvP play without putting in some serious cash. The baseline price of $2/Booster should also make drafting considerably more affordable than MTGO, but we'll see about that. Hope they find a way to make good use of the digital only advantage they have in design space.

velkito

Postby velkito » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
velkito wrote:Er..a debit card, Visa Electron. Not sure if it would go as "Visa" >.<
So then semi-random stuff is a no-no. It's got to match whatever was used to set up your payment card.

EDIT: Though if it's a gift card or something it obviously has nothing to match to.

It's not a gift card, in fact, I've been using this card for years now. And while I have no idea what address was used to set it up some 6 years ago or so, I sure as hell am no longer living on that address. Would my job address do for this? How exactly does this "validating the payment method" nonsense go? Heck, why is it even necessary, I've already done payments with that card for a certain flash game site without giving anything more than my card number and date of expiration? (sorry, it's frustrating..)

Any suggestions, other than maybe, messaging the company's FB profile? Hopefully someone of their social media team would respond in time?...

On a side note, the top video in the kickstarter thread is worth watching. They sure know how to employ humor where it's normally not expected, and to make it work in their favor

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

LLCoolDave wrote:Considering the just released update to the MTGO Beta Client has managed to lose functionality at the cost of being even less responsive and stable, it seems like a good idea to look for alternatives and this seems like the obvious choice. The gameplay is very clearly "inspired" my MtG (as in, it seems that except for the precise execution of the ressource system the backbone is just a carbon copy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing) so transitioning should be fairly natural.
I went through the 3.0 updated to MTGO, if anyone was expected that to improve on another version they were... naïve. Did they ever bother to re-implement leauges, I know it was months after 3.0 and they didn't even appear to have it on a roadmap, at least not a public one. My favorite tournament format, poof, gone. Multiplayer (my favorite casual) doesn't fare much better on their priority list either.

velkito wrote:It's not a gift card, in fact, I've been using this card for years now. And while I have no idea what address was used to set it up some 6 years ago or so, I sure as hell am no longer living on that address. Would my job address do for this? How exactly does this "validating the payment method" nonsense go? Heck, why is it even necessary, I've already done payments with that card for a certain flash game site without giving anything more than my card number and date of expiration? (sorry, it's frustrating..)
Most sites attempt to get at least some information that can be used to validate you (probably) actually own the card, and, for example, won't ship to addresses that don't match the billing address for your first purchase (or require extra hoops to jump through to do so). I didn't realize there were sites that didn't take a billing address, but every place I've used a credit card online in recent memory does. Even some physical stores ask for a billing zip code to validate.

Also, you don't keep your payment card address up to date? Don't companies tend to send important account details to those? I mean, I get paperless statements but they still like to send me crap in the mail like "hey, your account terms are changing!".

EDIT: I hope HexCon makes it.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:09 am UTC

I think I'm going to have to give this game a try. I'm not giving them any money, because I'm not going to pay money to play a free to play game, but they've hit their goal anyway, so it doesn't matter.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

velkito

Postby velkito » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:51 am UTC

Jack21222 wrote:I think I'm going to have to give this game a try. I'm not giving them any money, because I'm not going to pay money to play a free to play game, but they've hit their goal anyway, so it doesn't matter.

The truly free card games are few and far in between, the majority of them are pay-to-have-a-chance-to-win to some extent or more. No surprise, since there's also a collection impulse, triggered in every avid card game player..There's Estiah, a game I used to love and cherish and be excited about, but it's been a few years now since its community waned, for reasons no one can be blamed about, and that's about it, from what I can think of.

As for my payment issues..well, amazon says it will work, but I'll only be certain when I get the billing address confirmation nonsense..I think. I've never had to deal with companies by using my debit card.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:42 am UTC

I think if you're only interested in the PvE side F2P will work fine for you, but us sad hardcore PvP'ers I imagine will be flashing some cash to get the boosters and the like, I'm certain I will.

LLCoolDave

Postby LLCoolDave » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

I'm still toying around with upgrading to Collector from King, although the benefits are pretty hard to assess right now.

You get a second Spectral Lotus Garden, which may or may not end up being an essential piece to high end raiding. That Spectral Lotus is seriously busted, but we have no idea just yet of how powerful high end PvE content is going to be, even after just the first few sets. It might not be particularly important, but I could also seem some guilds on the forefront of PvE content (if such a thing will exist) churn through dozens of Lotus' on a single Raid evening, and they have to be provided somehow. That thing is hard to price right now, but I would hazard a guess that it is going to be reasonably valueable, whatever that might be in this game's economy.

6 Alternate Art PvP Rare/Legandary cards per Year is certainly a thing, and there is going to be a fairly limited amount of these on the market (around 4000 copies, if everybody sticks around which they clearly won't). It is fairly hard to evaluate alternate art limited editions of entirely digital collectables, and some of their value will probably depend on how tournament playable the specific cards turn out to be. It's hard to tell how much of a market there will be for these, as I and many others, for instance, don't really value foils/promos on MTGO at a premium and their value is mostly in redemption to physical cards. Still, if people like alternate art cards in this game the benefits of this bonus could pay off big time in the long run, but that assumes the game will still be around in 5 or 10 years.

There's also the year of weekly free drafts, which is just above $350 in retail value, but whose ultimate value probably resides in how good the game turns out to be in the end.

I'm having a hard time making up my mind on this question. On the one hand, if you've got a good enough feeling about the game to put down $120 before it's even got a public alpha release, it's hard not to just get the insane value of the free drafts for an extra $130. On the other hand, investing $250 in a game that no unbiased source has even played just yet is a bit of a gamble in itsself.

Anyone else here have any opinions on this? There's still a couple of hours to make up ones mind.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

velkito wrote:
Jack21222 wrote:I think I'm going to have to give this game a try. I'm not giving them any money, because I'm not going to pay money to play a free to play game, but they've hit their goal anyway, so it doesn't matter.

The truly free card games are few and far in between, the majority of them are pay-to-have-a-chance-to-win to some extent or more.

From what I've read, that's not the case here. PvE is not pay-to-win. I'm kinda hoping this will be somewhat of an MMO sequal to Microprose's Magic computer game from the late 90s. If I want to play a "PvP" trading card game, I'll just head up the road to the local shop and play Magic there.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:41 am UTC

PvE is entirely playable and accessible for free. PvP is pay to play.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:18 am UTC

Jack21222 wrote:
velkito wrote:

The truly free card games are few and far in between, the majority of them are pay-to-have-a-chance-to-win to some extent or more.

From what I've read, that's not the case here. PvE is not pay-to-win. I'm kinda hoping this will be somewhat of an MMO sequal to Microprose's Magic computer game from the late 90s. If I want to play a "PvP" trading card game, I'll just head up the road to the local shop and play Magic there.

I get that, but my problem is that in order to be truly competitive in MTG you have to drive or fly to events all over the country. Unless you have a really devoted group of guys at the store it's hard to be in a position to play more than once or twice a week. You are limited by time and space. Sure you can play MTGO but the biggest tournament they run on there is PTQ level and MOCS and there are little to no social networking aspects built in that allow you to connect with people to playtest with, and even if you do connect with them, you have to hope there are some barns there because you can't proxy on there. IDK Hex just takes the hassle out of things, and their development looks really solid so I figure, give it a shot. I'm tired of living in places where I don't have access to serious play. With the online format, you're still limited by time, but you can fit in competitive play whenever you have the time, which I really like.
-Kurt Vonnegut

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:40 am UTC

And heck, even where there are technically opportunities to play MTG, one's schedule might interfere. My Friday nights are already spoken for. FNM will never happen for me. The freedom to be able to find people to play with whenever I might want is a pretty huge plus for me.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:36 am UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:And heck, even where there are technically opportunities to play MTG, one's schedule might interfere. My Friday nights are already spoken for. FNM will never happen for me. The freedom to be able to find people to play with whenever I might want is a pretty huge plus for me.

Exactly. The most difficult thing for me tends to be that hobbies I am interested in (like D&D, MTG, and such) are almost impossible for me to play locally.
-Kurt Vonnegut

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:14 am UTC

I'll add that while I get why others opinions might vary, the whole "physical vs. virtual cards" thing is largely a non-issue for me. I have a fair sized box of old Magic cards sitting in my closet. Just ... sitting. 99+% of them are worthless too. (It's uncanny, really. I still don't know, for example, how I managed to drop the money I did on Alliances and wind up with *zero* Forces of Will.) At least if these are worthless, they'll take up less closet space.

velkito

Postby velkito » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

Metaphysician wrote:
JudeMorrigan wrote:And heck, even where there are technically opportunities to play MTG, one's schedule might interfere. My Friday nights are already spoken for. FNM will never happen for me. The freedom to be able to find people to play with whenever I might want is a pretty huge plus for me.

Exactly. The most difficult thing for me tends to be that hobbies I am interested in (like D&D, MTG, and such) are almost impossible for me to play locally.

This is not a problem for me. There's at least a couple of Magic/Other Card games/Board games club in my city, and while they are not that close by to where I live, I could go there. However, they are populated, for the most part, by 14-19 year olds, that tend to get too packed and too noisy at least for part of the evenings. As such they are not much of a lure to me, unlike gaming at home in front of the PC.

I just don't see myself as part of the local magic/board games community if 90% of it are those "youngins". I'm not even that much older than them at 25..maybe this would have been easier if I were 40.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

Alpha starts today, yes? It'll be a few days before I get in (they're adding people starting with the highest-tiered backers), but I'm quite looking forward to it.

velkito

Postby velkito » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

10 days later, still waiting, being a lowly squire/w/e the 50$ tier was called

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Well, looks like they at least got down to the collector level.

I'm not sure I actually want to play the alpha though.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:04 am UTC

I'm in Alpha now. It's pretty fun. Buggy as all hell and a very limited card pool, but hey, it's alpha! I've been messing around putting together some decks etc. it's pretty fun so far... a lot of people are playing pretty bad decks so I'm winning a lot.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Gaming”