Would you kindly talk about Bioshock? (**Spilers!**)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Felgraf

Postby Felgraf » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:33 pm UTC

To everyone who's gotten past the 'Ryan' part of the game...

Spolier!
Don't you miss your puppy?

I did *not* catch that until a friend asked me that very question.
"What can the harvest hope for, but for the care of the reaper man?" -Death, from Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:48 pm UTC

I don't get it.

Also,

The part where you hook up into a big-daddy was less cool than I thought it was gonna be. I was expecting to move as slow as one, but have the power of a hulk. Really it was all statistical, with the -% damage and such.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Felgraf

Postby Felgraf » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:58 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:I don't get it.

Well....

Did you grab the voice recording right before the Ryan fight? The one with the voices of Doctor Suchong and a male child?
"What can the harvest hope for, but for the care of the reaper man?" -Death, from Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:44 am UTC

Speaking of Suchong....

Has anyone reached the point where you find out how Suchong died? It made me giggle a lot

And since several others were doing it:

Best Weapon: Fully upgraded shotgun. It just looks so steampunk-ly delicious. Girl and I want to find a reasonably old shotgun at a second hand store and go to work on it with some clock gears and a few CO2 cartridges, as a pet project....

Best Plasmid: Insect Swarm. It's not the one I use most (that would be a toss-up between Electro-Bolt and Telekinesis, with a nod to "Hypnotize Big Daddy"). But I absolutely love the concept. Your arms are now riddled with honeycombs and *filled with bees*! What's not to like!? I will occasionally just break this out to make splicers run around covered in bees. It's good clean fun.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Felgraf

Postby Felgraf » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:53 am UTC

Do you quote Eddy Izzard why doing so?

"Heeelp, Heeelp! I'm covered in Beeeees!"

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:28 am UTC

NATURALLY!

People can tell when I'm playing bioshock because I will occasionally scream "Covered in bees! COVERED IN BEEE-EE-EE-EEEEES!!!!"

They/them

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

as soon as i saw thebee plasmid in action i thought:

"Ninja Scroll!"

I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:23 am UTC

I also like how all the plasmids signs were excessively sexist. In fact most of them involved a cartoon version using them on their wives. As much as I don't agree with it, it was definitely a part of the era they were trying to recreate, and was done well.

So much subtle dry wit humour in this game.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

Traisenau

Postby Traisenau » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:46 am UTC

Belial wrote:NATURALLY!

People can tell when I'm playing bioshock because I will occasionally scream "Covered in bees! COVERED IN BEEE-EE-EE-EEEEES!!!!"

Not the bees, AUUUUUUGGGGGHHH, they're in my eyes, MY EYES!!!!
<Will> Drew is the only woman for me

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:44 pm UTC

just made it into Fort Frolic last night.

i'm really enjoying this game.

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:42 pm UTC

Double post:

god i love this game, although i'm saddened by how easy the "elite" big daddies have gotten due to the Trap Bolts. (crossbow is way OP)

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:32 pm UTC

You think trap-bolts are bad?

Upgrade the chemical thrower, and then Unload a tank of electric gel into them sometime.

They/them

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:33 pm UTC

i doubt i'll get that chance, i'm almost done.

unless there's a power to the people on the last stage.

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

Even without upgrades, electric gel ruins a big daddy's world. It holds them still *and* damages them, and you don't have to reload until well after they're dead.

They/them

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:03 pm UTC

The elite ones actually survive being chemical thrower'd on hard, though not by much. If you use it on them with a turret or two they'll die before you run out of ammo, or you can just bolt 'em afterwards.
とても嬉しかったよ
君が笑い掛けてた
全てを溶かす微笑みで

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:49 am UTC

So I'm replaying this through on hard mode, and I was wondering...
Spoilers! wrote:When you are rescued by Tenenbaum she mentions that you've helped save many little sisters. I've only ever rescued the little sisters. Will she say otherwise if all you've done is harvest them?
This space intentionally left blank.

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:08 am UTC

Spoilers! wrote:She chews you out for it, but still helps you.
とても嬉しかったよ

君が笑い掛けてた

全てを溶かす微笑みで

VannA
White

Postby VannA » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:20 am UTC

Ketzerei wrote:
Spoilers! wrote:She chews you out for it, but still helps you.

Spoilers! wrote:I was hoping for something different :(
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:31 am UTC

Oh what the hell, the thread is entitled "spoilers"

Yeah, I was hoping the game would be really different from that point on, if you'd been killing them. It was kindof disappointing.

The only thing that's really different, near as I can tell, is a bit of the dialogue, and the ending movie.

They/them

Delbin

Re: Would you kindly talk about Bioshock? (**Spilers!**)

Postby Delbin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:27 pm UTC

I mean to just use the spoiler text for the first few days while people were still playing.

Has anyone found an online video of the 'bad' ending? I don't think I'll get a chance to see it myself in-game for a while.

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

Are you sure you want to watch it online? You miss a great deal of the disappointment if you don't get it at the end of the game.
とても嬉しかったよ

君が笑い掛けてた

全てを溶かす微笑みで

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:20 pm UTC

'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC

It's on YouTube, I watched it there because I am too lazy to play through twice.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re:

Postby mosc » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

Ketzerei wrote:Your problem is that you bought it expecting a shooter. It's far more RPG than it is a shooter, but it's really just a hodgepodge of awesome from several schools of gaming. They started calling it a shooter because the publisher was worrying that they wouldn't be able to sell it if they didn't stuff it into a specific genre. And they decided to make the Xbox 360 their lead platform, where the shooter demographic is about 90% of the userbase (note: percentage has no factual basis).

well, I finally got around to finishing it. It's very very VERY little RPG and almost entirely shooter. I have no idea where you get off saying that part. It does have SOME customization (no level ups, xp, stat points, dice rolling, inventory, etc) but really, whither you picked fire plasmid or lightning plasmid isn't an RPG choice, it's a FPS weapon selection.

I didn't play it on the 360 (don't own one), I'm a PC gamer. Also, I mostly don't play shooters at all! The only reason I picked it up was everyone was telling me how much more than a shooter it was. Yeah, maybe in terms of story it was more but certainly not in gameplay. In terms of gameplay, it's a quirky shooter all the way.

I found I really didn't like it much until it was over with. Looking BACK at it, some of the story was kind of interesting. Frankly though, it wasn't what was driving me through the game at all however. I mean, they tell you only bits here and there. You hardly are like "I wonder what happens next!". You know what happens next. You just don't know all the back story. I'm sorry but learning about a back story is not a compelling reason to do much of anything.

pretty? Yeah I guess (although nothing amazing like oblivion was). Innovative? Absolutely not. Good story? No, not really. Good backstory? Amazing backstory.

Frankly, I'd have rather set it at the turn of when rapture went to hell. Seems like a much more interesting time with more characters and more driving direction. Unless you're one of those types that likes wandering around some sadistic world actively trying to figure out WHY it's a sadistic world, the story itself is kind of lame. Personally, my motivation was to avoid the sadistic world unless I HAD to go through it. I didn't feel the compulsion or drive to go through it, just that it was the only way to progress.

Also, I would loved some more choices. There's only 1 choice in the entire game the player gets to make. There were all these situations where they could have twisted who was the good guy and who was the bad guy and let you choose (ultimately resulting in the same end). I would have preferred several more choices of who to support or how. Even if they resulted in virtually the same overall plot progression. I think there was a lot of YOUR character development that really wasn't there.

I give bioshock a 8.0/10 or maybe a 7.5/10. Certainly not so close to perfect as some people have said. Story and game play are really lacking even if the environment and back story are staggering.

Lets put it this way, I liked it less than this guy:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/1394-Zero-Punctuation-BioShock
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Re:

Postby fjafjan » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:48 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Best Weapon: Fully upgraded shotgun. It just looks so steampunk-ly delicious. Girl and I want to find a reasonably old shotgun at a second hand store and go to work on it with some clock gears and a few CO2 cartridges, as a pet project....

My god .. That would be so awesome. This one thing almost changes my mind about gun laws...

But I agree, I am usually a "shotgun guy", simply because it's usually the most easily played weapon, as long as you are in fairly close combat anyhow which most shooters are. Aiming reasonable for the above shoulders part will get you a good hit, all the damag eis delivered at once which is just a good feel (the splicers throwing themselves at you only to land short as a lump of flesh or just getting thrown backwards)

Spoiler:
I just got to the "ryan part", and I actually thought the game would end there, but hey, it keeps going!
Awesome. Just go out from the little sisters place
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Return to “Gaming”