Your video game ideas

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Biliboy

Re: Your video game ideas

Postby Biliboy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:14 am UTC

I'm curious as to why the sandbox survival/crafting genre is so popular these days. Is it a fad on the level of WWII fps games or is it filling some deep psychological need? I can count 5 of them in my steam game list (if you count gnomoria and mount&blade in there), and 3-4 other non-steam games on my computer. There are dozens more out there that look interesting, but I don't have the time or money to try.

What aspects of them do you think are the real drivers for popularity, and how can you add them to other genres to improve the experience?

Is it just the third leg of the trifecta of literary conflicts (man vs man, man vs himself, man vs power greater than himself) pitting the player against the environment instead of demonzombie vampire nazis? Some sort of need that isn't fulfilled in modern life? (thog hit piggy with club, bring home the bacon)

I'd imagine that part of it is the small, visible rewards of every stick and leaf gathered being another +1 in the 'Can I not starve' narrative. Also, as idle games have shown us, people just like to click things and have things happen as a result. Crafting is just another way to do that.

I'd like to see how people would react if you dropped them into an mmo that mimic'd the rts gametype. Say, for example, on the first of the month at 6pm everyone spawns on two sides of a large map, Rust-style naked with a rock (perhaps not literally, as with Rust), and have to build over the next month or so a civilization/castle/war base from scratch. Conflict provided not only by The Enemy (players on the other side) but by figuring out who should be in charge of tactics, what should be built, who should just gather and who should fight, etc.

It might be just too messy but I'd imagine that with the right mechanics you could see some really interesting stories emerge out of something like that. Also, with limited run times, you'd not fall into the problem of abandoned structures all over the place as people quit playing.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:41 am UTC

Biliboy wrote:I'm curious as to why the sandbox survival/crafting genre is so popular these days. Is it a fad on the level of WWII fps games or is it filling some deep psychological need? I can count 5 of them in my steam game list (if you count gnomoria and mount&blade in there), and 3-4 other non-steam games on my computer. There are dozens more out there that look interesting, but I don't have the time or money to try.

A large chunk of it is that it's an obvious variation on the Minecraft formula - you also get the sandbox crafting/adventure games in the Terraria mould which fall somewhere in between.

The whole sandbox/crafting paradigm is one with a broad appeal - here's a world, here are some basic tools, you can make everything else: do what you want. Adding a broad goal (don't die; defeat boss monsters; whatever) while still leaving the means of achieving it fairly wide open allows the creative uses of the sandbox to continue largely unchecked, while giving players a suggested direction - the full-on survival games go a bit further and force you to attend to the goal before you can play more freely, but they keep the broad "anything goes" approach to achieving it.

Lego's one of the world's most popular toys not because if you buy a kit and follow the instructions you can create a perfect model whatever, but because once you've built the whatever, you can break it apart and put the pieces back together into something completely different. That's shared with the sandbox games - the sense that you can break the rules, take the world apart, and rebuild it better - or at least different...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:35 am UTC

Bartle Test, maybe?

Really appeals to the Explorers, Minecraft also does to Social and Achievers. Not so much to fourth, but I forget what that is... Fighter?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:51 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Bartle Test, maybe?

Really appeals to the Explorers, Minecraft also does to Social and Achievers. Not so much to fourth, but I forget what that is... Fighter?

Killers according to Wikipedia.

I don't know that I'm convinced by the active/interactive dichotomy as applied to world-focused players - it seems like a bad label for the self/other distinction...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:00 pm UTC

(was on a phone earlier, sorry for the brevity)

The point I'm making with Minecraft and other not-so-combat focused games like the aforementioned Gnomeria and add in Dwarf Fortress, and so on is that most other games fill the Killer wants and needs pretty easily. From the obvious Arena Shooters that are basically nothing but killfests to even games like Skyrim or Baldur's Gate, there is lots and lots of combat and sections of the game can even be summarized as "Kill things until you can kill bigger things, then kill those until you can kill bigger things..."

Minecraft, DF, Gnomeria... there's combat in them, sure, but even in Dwarf Fortress (excluding Adventure mode) with it's incredibly detailed combat.... puts combat in the backseat of a lot of other things. Plenty of things are going to kill your fortress before the first Goblin wave hits, if you don't know what you're doing. And through the use of traps or just sealing yourself off, it's currently possible to avoid combat entirely.

So, like I said, those sorts of games are filling the void that was left by many, many games before it in that the Killer aspect was always at least met secondarily, whereas in these games it's all but ignored.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:29 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:And through the use of traps or just sealing yourself off, it's currently possible to avoid combat entirely.
Also by not placing your fortress next to goblins or editing the config files so they're friendly.
Biliboy wrote:I'm curious as to why the sandbox survival/crafting genre is so popular these days. Is it a fad on the level of WWII fps games or is it filling some deep psychological need?
I'd say it's fulfilling a psychological impulse, like all games; it probably seems weird to you because it's one that you're not used to scratching.

I see two fundamental problems with the Bartle Test. 1) Humans have many instincts, and it's not reasonable for a game developer (or even a psychologist) to enumerate all of the potential drivers a game might fulfill. 2) It was created in 96, and gaming serves many more impulses than it did then.

My list of impulses I've seen gaming scratch looks something like this:

1. Violence
    1. As rivals: I'm the alpha, not you!
    2. As war: I don't care who you are, you all need to die.
    3. As predator: The spider wants it's fly.
    4. As prey: There are raptors to the right, so I'm going left.
  2. Nature
    1. Potency: This universe isn't vast and inscrutable; I have a goal and I progress towards it.
    2. Exploring: Lookit that waterfall! Oh, floating island!
    3. Gathering: Sweet, I found some pure vorpal!
    4. Problem solving: How can I best use my tools to accomplish my goal?
    5. Nesting: I'm going to turn this smoking crater into a useful, comfortable, safe place.
  3. Social
    1. Character identification: The narrative doesn't happen to a character, it happen to you.
    2. Real life: You meet and get to know real people.
    3. Leadership: You're responsible for people and they're obedient to you.
    4. Acquaintance: You start your journey with a stoic warrior, you end with a friend.
    5. Flirtation: Why yes, Megumi-san, I would like to get to know you and your sisters better.
    6. Self-expression: My mount is a wolf instead of the usual horse; this reflects the fact that I wanted a wolf.
    7. Nurturing: I'll take care of you and feed you and teach you things
  4. Physical
    1. Reflex: I react correctly to stimulus!
    2. Rhythm: as on tin.
    3. Tension: The game makes the player focus.
    4. Tactile: A challenge for the fine motor skills.

All of these depend on the perceptions of the player. For example, you won't get the effect of nurturing if you don't sympathize with your Pokemon. The difference between war and rivals is often how the narrative frames the conflict.

The different forms of Self-expression have widely different descriptions: statement of identity, individuality or fashion. What I'm getting at might cause one person to buy a fedora and another to display the entire Discworld series on a prominent shelf.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:53 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:23 am UTC

How broad do you see character identification as being? Does vicarious experience count or only literal self-insertion?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Koa

Postby Koa » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:09 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
  1. Violence
    1. As rivals: I'm the alpha, not you!
    2. As war: I don't care who you are, you all need to die.
    3. As predator: The spider wants it's fly.
    4. As prey: There are raptors to the right, so I'm going left.

I initially saw it as players fitting into it like a topographical map. Like #1 would be in the bottom left of "killers", #2 would be in the top left, #3 and #4 would be bottom right. Top right would be like people who enjoy getting high scores/rank. But as just a test to see what percentage you fall into the four categories, I find that pretty dumb -- much like those quizzes teenagers take for fun and/or in a vain attempt to fill their desire for an identity, and then present on their social networking page. Despite all that, it also comes across to me as how morality is handled in dnd. It's a cute caricature but the reality is a far more intricate and shapeless beast.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:28 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:How broad do you see character identification as being? Does vicarious experience count or only literal self-insertion?
Short answer: extremely broad, whatever could trigger the emotion in a given player. The different mechanics are just subtle or direct attempts to produce the emotional reaction. Some people may need a character they've named and customized who acts according to their morals, for some people having to do an action rather than watch it may have the affect. Some people can identify in a purely non interactive media, but the interesting question here is what interaction can do for the experience.
Koa wrote:see what percentage you fall into the four categories, I find that pretty dumb ..... but the reality is a far more intricate and shapeless beast.
I agree completely. I see my huge list as an incomplete list, of only what's already been done, where games typically try for several emotions, with varying mechanics to cater to each emotion, with players having preferences for different emotions, but being fundamentally capable of all of them.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

phillip1882

Postby phillip1882 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:24 am UTC

game name: cityscape
genre: simulation
motivations: enjoy city building
influence: sim city
principles: 8 main branches of buildings
agriculture, residential, commercial, industrial, education, recreation, transportation, service.
each branch has 4 options.
agriculture - crops, textiles, cattle, biofuel
commercial - office, store, bank, mall
industrial - mine, factory, power, construction
education -temple, school, college, laboratory
recreation - park, theater, museum, stadium
residential - home, apartment, hotel, palace
transportation - road, railroad, airport, harbor
service - hospital, fire station, police station, meeting hall
these options each have their own effect. bank is where the player gets his money to build further improvements, for example, and stadium gives the most happiness, but is the most costly to run. the goal of the game is to build a sprawling city with as many people as happy as you can make them, while fighting corruption and pollution.
various goals may make the game interesting. such as having to build around difficult terrain, rivers, and the like, having to get to a certain population within a certain time frame, having a max corruption level, and so on.
points of flexibility:
-already having a bare minimum city at the start.
-having a government branch: prison, army, judiciary, congress.
-starting with only a few capabilities for building and increasing as play progresses.
good luck have fun

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:38 am UTC

I feel like you'd really enjoy those old historical building games; Pharoah, Zeus and Caesar.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

yellow103

Postby yellow103 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:23 pm UTC

A couple of days ago, an MMORTS, Ironfell, shutdown for good after 3 years. Although it suffered from community problems towards the end, I feel that many parts of it were quite nice and a few core elements doomed it from the start.
Genre: MMORTS, All time periods(time travel, starting in medieval, working backwards and forewords)
Motivations: Wealth (Acquiring massive ludicrous amounts of resources), and Empire building (An empire that stretches for many realms).
Influences: Ironfell, I said that :|
Principles:
*1 massive world divided into hundreds of thousands of realms (You need a lot or they will get too full), was part of original
*Units that are grouped into different time periods, acting as tiers of expense/power (Tank>Triceratop>Swordsman), was part of original
*The new part, Resources must gathered from resources nodes(from original, come in unlimited, regenerating, and finite types) be moved from point A to point B on roads, stored in warehouses, and processed in factories into units or other resources. This is important as it means that bigger empires mean more infrastructure to keep intact, and high end units can be made more expensive (since the whole empire is nearby, you might only have 1 T-Rex squad that is sent out instead of covering a dozen islands with them)
*Cute, little sprites, part of original
User Experiance:
*Checking in to make sure your not being attacked(possibly being dragged into defending territory), occasionally being on for a long time to claim/conquer new land
*Trading with other players
*Diplomacy ("You attacked my ally, I shall attack you")
*If well-off, then create villages and gardens, or blood sacrifices.
Mechanics:
*Hexagonal grid of terrain that dictates mobility and resources
*Just Basic stuff
Flexibility:Not sure on so many units it is difficult to just spam 1 and win (enough that no one can master all match ups of combinations?), or so little units that there is a simple set to learn.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:41 pm UTC

"...few core elements doomed [Ironfell] from the start.' which elements were those? You mentioned something about the resources (not real clear on how they work in Ironfell). Based off reading datasmugglers, it also appears to have had stratification and security issues.

Define "All time periods" please.

Regarding the Realms: How may players interact with a realm?, how many realms does a player interact with? How many qualitatively different types of realms are there?

"...just spam 1 and win" Context please, what does '1' do? Are you talking about limiting the ratio of number of unit between players, or keeping that ratio the same and changing the amount both have?

phillip1882

Postby phillip1882 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:21 am UTC

i think he means unit types. you want enough that a player can't know a combination that's good against everything.
good luck have fun

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:04 pm UTC

I've had this idea rattling around in my head for a while. Started writing it down a few weeks ago, and just finished this morning. It's intended to be a sort of cross between Planetside 2 and Destiny, with some EVE-Online mixed in for good measure.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CvT ... sp=sharing
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:13 pm UTC

This is more of a game mechanic idea, but I had the idea for a turn based combat system where enemy emotions play a large role. The battle system would have a lot of hard counters, and so predicting enemy actions would be important. Each enemy would have an emotion spectrum, something like:

Angry
Aggressive
Neutral <--> Confident
Cautious
Scared

Aside from moves explicitly changing states, the rule would be something like: getting hit while >50% health moves towards Angry, getting hit <50% health moves towards Scared, and landing or dodging hits moves back towards neutral (or while neutral has a chance to move to confident).

For the enemy AI, each potential move would be labeled as more aggressive or more defensive, with chance to trigger being affected by emotion. Moves that are clearly optimal in certain situations would have an extra chance to trigger in those situations, and a 100% chance of triggering if the enemy is confident.

Bosses and mini-bosses would tend to be more resistant to emotional changes, except for special moves or scripted events that would set it based on their personality in the story.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:28 pm UTC

Hmm...I haven't played it yet, but I seem to recall hearing Renowned Explorers: International Society has something that feels vaguely similar to that. I think it might be more of an "alternate win condition" emotions system rather than "modifiers based on health", but I know there was some kind of deliberate manipulation of foe's emotional responses to bring about desired outcomes. Deliberate AI manipulation as a side-effect/background thing, rather than as explicit phase transitions or a separate set of mechanics, could be nice.

(Monster Hunter has something vaguely similar as well - taking enough hits will make a monster become Enraged, the monster using a lot of attacks or having parts broken will eventually make it Exhausted, and they'll start trying to limp away and escape at low health - but it's more of a phase transition/global-state rather than this kind of "all moves are always available, but which ones it selects varies based on emotion" system you seem to be suggesting.)
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:05 pm UTC

A game I always wanted to make/see:

A roguelike variant on Clue; you play a detective in a house with one dead body and six suspects. At the start of each session, the game randomly assigns the role of murderer to one of the six, then plays out the events on the night of the murder. The next day, you wander the house, talking to the suspects (acquiring eye-witness accounts of what happened that night -- where characters were at which times), collecting clues (fingerprints, footprints, missing objects, bloodied objects), and trying to solve the case.

The point of the game is to recreate the crime based on the evidence you gather -- describing where the killer acquired the murder weapon, how and where they killed the victim, etc. You're scored based on how closely your recreation matches reality. Also, things could be complicated by rudimentary attempts by the murderer to disguise the act; blackmailing a suspect to make them lie, moving the body, disposing of the murder weapon (or trying to make another object look like the murder weapon), etc. There might even be secondary roles -- such as a thief who operates on the same night, confusing matters.

The recreation phase is literally recreating the murder; you pretend to be the killer and do what you think they did that night based on the evidence you've gathered. It would be cool if, beyond just randomly generated mysteries, other people could play the killer and create their own mysteries then upload them for other players to solve, too.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:48 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:I had the idea for a turn based combat system where enemy emotions play a large role......
Interesting.

To be this sounds like a "win more" mechanic. That is to say, a mechanic that makes thing easier for the winner and tends to all but settle the outcome. For shorter fights/mooks: this seems fine, but for longer fights/bosses you might want a cyclical/ stabilizing mechanics.
I see this playing out in one of two ways:
Victory:
1) Get initial hits in, enemy becomes angry
2) Angry enemy can't defend themself, gets lots of hits to 50% mark.
3) Tricky part as enemy cross neutral, get a few hits in and enemy becomes scared.
4) Enemy is too scared to attack, player can finish them off easily
Defeat:
1)Player fumbles when enemy is neutral, enemy becomes confident.
2) Player (who was struggling before enemy became confident) fumbles even more often
3) Player hopes to catch up, but these mechanics make that even harder.
4) Player losses, or spends more time and health than they should on a mook.

For bosses I think maybe a spectrum between "offensive" and "defensive"
At the extreme end of "offensive" enemy takes actions that leave them vulnerable and have big gaps for avoiding.
At the extreme end of "Defensive" enemy takes actions that can avoid any damage or always counter.

Being hit causes defensiveness and time causes offensiveness.
Over the duration of the fight the battle waxes and wanes between the boss being offensive and defensive.

Or something more generally: Enemy has a perfect reaction and an imperfect defensive reactions. The perfect reaction only happens in a short window after the imperfect reaction fails; in other words it punishs the player for doing anything too often.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:42 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

JamesGoblin

Postby JamesGoblin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:24 am UTC

Besides some complex ones (I don't feel like writing textwalls at the moment), one of the simple ideas I'd like to see is - take Warhammer Online (my GOAT) and add building (free form or modular, anything but pre-made) and destruction, deep crafting (say, Star Wars: Galaxies one) and third faction.

And of course, keep EA million miles away from it =)

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:40 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
setzer777 wrote:I had the idea for a turn based combat system where enemy emotions play a large role......
Interesting.

To be this sounds like a "win more" mechanic. That is to say, a mechanic that makes thing easier of the winner and tends to all but settle the outcome For shorter fights/mooks this seems fine, but for longer fights/bosses you might want a cyclical/ stabilizing mechanics.
I see this playing out in one of two ways:
Victory:
1) Get initial hits in, enemy becomes angry
2) Angry enemy can't defend themself, he lots of hits to 50% mark.
3) Tricky part as enemy cross neutral, get a few hits in and enemy becomes scared.
4) Enemy is too scared to attack, player can finish them off easily
Defeat:
1)Player fumbles when enemy is neutral, enemy becomes confident.
2) Player(who was struggling before enemy became confident) fumbles even more often
3) Player hopes to catch up, but these mechanics make that even harder.
4) Player losses, or spends more time and health than they should on a mook.

Yeah, that's a good point. I've started working on my hobby project that includes this. I decided to make it less predictable, so outside of special moves or scripted events, angry/scared each have a small chance of happening when someone takes a hit while neutral, and last (IIRC) 2-5 rounds. I may also implement powerful moves that "use up" the emotion for the enemy.

I'm also trying to include an interesting diversity of "scared" abilities, like buffing other enemies, using attacks that drain HP or inflict damage-reducing status effects, or boosting defense to the point that the player must use damage buffs or hit elemental weaknesses to do any damage.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:25 am UTC

You could make it so enemies only take significant damage when they're in a negative state, and being in certain positive states would cut through a neutral state's defense. If you can balance it how I envision it, it would be useful to break the spirit of stronger enemies, and weaker enemies it would be more about keeping your party in a good mood. It wouldn't be worth breaking the spirit of weaker enemies, but when it happens it should be very juicy.

I guess you would need spirit attacking abilities though. Like, "Charge" 5 base damage, 5 intimidation. "Attack" 10 base damage. Add emotion mages or something; Battle Psychologists.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:39 am UTC

Koa wrote:Battle Psychologists.

I rather like the sound of a military role of Psychologist-at-arms (blatantly ripped off from the role of Programmer-at-arms that featured in Vernor Vinge's space opera A Fire Upon the Deep)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:50 pm UTC

It's say probably make all attacks of all classes for some psychological dimension. Similar to how games with sophisticated aggro systems have abilities and talents all over the place with special threat modifiers.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:21 pm UTC

I don't know if I want a purely negative state - I like the desirable state being contextual. Enemies who just smack away for tons of damage you want to scare so they hit less hard/often. Ones who rely on charging up attacks or buffing their party you want to anger - they will tend to use single-turn pure-damage attacks that are less efficient for their role.

Angry characters deal and take more damage, and vice-versa for scared characters. So there's also the factor of wanting to anger foes you're ready to burst down, and scare the ones you're saving for later.

States apply to player characters as well, and I've also added a party member with skillets that cover every role, but which are restricted based on emotional state (they can directly change their own state, but it uses up a turn each time).

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Koa

Postby Koa » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:47 pm UTC

It doesn't necessarily need to be a negative state, it just needs to have a negative relationship with another state. Anger having a negative relationship with Focused. It's just... It gets really complicated and impossible to balance.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:06 am UTC

You play as a cutey-cutey teenage girl with the ability to hypnotize. Battles play out like RPGs with your "Charm" ability having a chance to seduce an enemy team member into joining you! Later you can order them to attack their allies, put them to sleep or "Group Hug" to heal everybody! Your party members are a sulky goth girl looking to avenge her dead step family, a boy that fancies himself a rock star and Internet pirate and your Mother whom tagged along to, "Make sure you don't misuse your new powers." You have the ability to choose a moral alignment, your appearance and basic starting clothes and you acquire more clothes, makeups and accessories for everyone over time. You can keep stables of monster pets you've charmed in a Monster Daycare Center (Like Pocket Monsters!). Your monsters level up alongside you and gain new abilities.

The villainess is another teenage girl with hypnosis powers only hers are less charming more DOMINATE YOUR ENTIRE PERSONALITY FORCEFULLY. And she's out to get your entire party because the rock star boy, the goth girl AND you all turned her down when she asked you out on dates. So she bargained with a succubus who's now inside her head giving her the curse/powers of hypnosis. And the succubus takes over her body at the end to fight you and your friends!
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

New User

Postby New User » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:50 pm UTC

My video game idea is a management simulator that takes place on a ship in the Age of Sail. You would need to choose supplies before the voyage, hire crew, manage crew shifts, and deal with situations as they arise after embarking, such as storms, piracy, krakens, scurvy, repairing the damaged ship, or finding uncharted lands. Basically, my vague idea is Dwarf Fortress but on a galleon.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:07 pm UTC

A dating simulator that I like would be very very involved. Long dialogue trees with multiple different options of flirts/sincere lines. And she reacts differently to each. She chatters a lot about her life and if you do not want to pay attention she shall dump you and you have to find a new girl. She wears different hairstyles, clothes and makeups and you can dress your handsome/pretty pretty man or girl too. Then you can date in different locales, have dinners, do movie dates with small funny clips for "movies" or go to the park and watch the moonlight or a concert with song clips or original composed music. Some snuggling/chaste kisses goodnight and deep conversations when you go back to her place. Then you can choose to get married to any gender/sex you wanna and live with them in their houses and have babies if you wanna. Or get one of those civil marriage licenses no religious ceremonies needed.

One more thing: I like customizing my character's voice sets, portraits and looks. So in my game they could have personality traits that change their voices, flirts and animations and give them cool temporary effects like cleaning their houses faster or whatever.
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:50 am UTC

New User wrote:Basically, my vague idea is Dwarf Fortress but on a galleon.
How much realism are you going for? You mentioned krakens and dwarf fortress so I'm guessing fine realistic detail, plus mythical stuff in detail and completely different geography and nations?

I'd recommend not historical route unless you want the game to be about the terrible parts of history.
Ginger wrote:A dating simulator that I like would be very very involved.
Have you thought about what your characters? That's important in any kind of story, but possibly a dating sim the most since the point is the process of becoming acquainted with them.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:04 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
New User wrote:Basically, my vague idea is Dwarf Fortress but on a galleon.
How much realism are you going for? You mentioned krakens and dwarf fortress so I'm guessing fine realistic detail, plus mythical stuff in detail and completely different geography and nations?

I'd recommend not historical route unless you want the game to be about the terrible parts of history.

I haven't thought about it in enough detail to describe my vague idea as an actual game. I think completely different geography and nations would be ideal. The very interesting part to me is planning, since your sailors would be cut off from any support after embarking. In Dwarf Fortress, the focus is on production (or, if you choose to forgo manufacturing for some reason, it would be necessary at a bare minimum to harvest and refine resources to survive). On a ship, the focus would be on consumption of resources. So you'd have to ration them appropriately and look for a suitable way to replenish resources, such as fishing or harvesting from the sea, piracy, or sending a shore party to resupply when you find land. Also, there should probably be some goal, but I don't know what that should be. Some management simulators like Dwarf Fortress are a sandbox, where there is no end goal other than "don't let your civilization die", and sometimes "increase wealth/growth" (I think Prison Architect and SimCity have this goal). In this game, you'd want to avoid population growth, since that would put additional strain on your resources. Still, you might choose to admit shipwrecked survivors, marooned mutineers, or defecting sailors from another faction if you wish. If the goal were simply to survive or prevent your stores from running out, the answer would be to never embark in the first place. So the goal should probably be a round trip, with certain designated stops along a trade route, or maybe to drop off colonists and return with your crew, scientific expeditions/exploration, or heck maybe even throw in military and privateer missions where you can patrol for enemy vessels and destroy or raid them. So, after thinking about all that, I think maybe a mission-based system could work, allowing the player to choose which type of missions they want to accept.

The focus should be on the management of the crew and ship supplies, so anything done on shore should probably be limited. Limiting shore interactions to uninhabited (or sparsely populated) islands only might be sufficient, since even if you could have control over your crew in such an event, the crew's accomplishments would be limited to what resources are available on the island. These islands might have very specific ecosystems, for example. So you might want fruit to prevent scurvy, but find an island with only trees, nuts, birds, rocks and sand. In such a case, the more time you spend on the island, the more your ship's store of fruit is being depleted.

Reaching a mainland with established cities would allow you to replenish supplies, repair the ship, hire crew if necessary, and prepare to return to sea.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:44 am UTC

Some games this reminds me of: Oregon trail.
FTL - you travel towards goal with randomly generated planets along the way. During the journey one can't reliably resupply or re-crew.
Of mice and sand: You drive a "sandship" around and build Dwarf fortress style workshops and craft the many things you need. You do need to plan your trips out somewhat, but it's a lot more forgiving than what I think your thinking of. It also has a perfect excuse plot.

New User wrote: In this game, you'd want to avoid population growth
I read somewhere that for major voyages ships would actually take on four times the crew they needed, so that they would always have enough able bodied people.
Round Trip
One realism detail I'd suggest keeping is that oceans have prevailing currents/winds. So a round trip A->B->A might not be economical, or even possible.

The North Atlantic, for example goes clockwise: Europe -> Africa -> Caribbean -> North America -> Europe.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:52 am UTC

The ship game has been proposed before, with a slightly different viewpoint. It was "Elite on a tramp freighter," to some extent, but because tramp freighters can't be run solo it had the officers and crew and maybe passengers. As well as ocean currents, prevailing winds, local buying and selling prices, production seasons affecting those prices at both ends, pirates, storms, fuel supplies, food supplies and the like, it was to start the player off in the role of navigator, with a Choose Your Own Ambition approach to the objectives. If you did really well you could be the captain of your own ship eventually, or at least first officer, or you could move to a land-side job or worse. The charts and currents (oceanic and tidal, interacting) turned out to be huge and detailed and complicated, and realism would have been harsh, with incentives to turn to smuggling ... although not to piracy.

These days, we have the information, memory and processor capacity to generate continents, littorals and reefs, calculate currents and winds around them and populate them with species from krill to whales and strawberries to humans, so a seeded random world is a possibility, and it would allow people to share the seeds of their favourite worlds online.

Switches for different content are also an idea. Pirates? Civil wars? International wars? Elves? Orcs? Kraken? Those octopodes that Japanese college girls love to kidnap and abuse in those weird cartoons they draw?

Tick all that apply:

Cthulhu
[ ] will destroy the mind of anyone who sees Him, killing them instantly;
[ ] is so horrific a concept that even to know He has been imagined will drive a person mad;
[ ] is worshipped by a cult of vaguely fishy people in an isolated village;
[ ] shall arise and consume the world at the end of days;
[ ] is trapped in eternal slumber by a religious order based on an uncharted island;
[ ] runs a pottery and tea shop in a village in the Pennines;
[ ] likes strawberry jam on his scones;
[ ] actually rescues sailors and is an all-round wonderful guy (it's the mermaids that'll drown and eat you);
[ ] doesn't exist.

Pirates
[ ] rape, pillage and murder everything they can;
[ ] sing a lot and only ever steal from other pirates;
[ ] explode when hit with Light-based magical attacks;
[ ] just arrrrr;
[ ] arrrrrn't.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:32 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Ginger wrote:A dating simulator that I like would be very very involved.
Have you thought about what your characters? That's important in any kind of story, but possibly a dating sim the most since the point is the process of becoming acquainted with them.

Yes Yes I have. Well, I have different stereotypes in mind anyways. The flirty popular college sporty chick. The suave womanizer with a dark past. The lady that is a serial dater who just wanna find some real connections. Maybe a career woman too? LOL I only thought of one male archetype and didn't even specify "the suave womanizer" was man or woman. Anyways they're only just archetypes/stereotypes and not fully fleshed out ideas yet. I have been watching more romantic comedies as research purposes officially ha ha.

Return to “Gaming”