Hearthstone

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Adacore

Re: Hearthstone

Postby Adacore » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:38 am UTC

Arena is a little different with the (thus far) 12 new cards from Naxx. It's kinda refreshing to play and see some different minions in the high-win decks.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:46 am UTC

Got heroic loetheb down to 17 health, does that count as a win?

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:50 am UTC

Regarding the webspinner and the cards it can get you: I count 11 bad beasts, 10 okay ones and 6 good ones (if I did not misscount somewhere, also YMMV) so I place the webspinner itself in the "Okay" group making it 11 bad, 11 okay and 6 good ones, so it's 11:17 (or around 2:3 ratio) of pulling bad or at least an okay card out of it.
It isn't that bad overall, expecially since it can be used to thin out your deck to cycle with buzard and then get a bonus card out of it. I used dragonhawks once when I wanted more 1 drop beasts just for cycling purposes (I HATE how tracking discards your cards...) so webspinner is a neat alternative.

The real usage it will have though will be tournaments. Yes, tournaments. When people come in with pre-made decks and everyone knows each other's deck and makes plays around them, a card that introduces uncertainty will give some players advantage in form of a surprise.
That's similar to thoughsteal or mindvision. Except thoughtsteal is actually adding uncertainty on top of being arcane intellect while mindvision is just "pay 1 more mana for something that your opponent has a chance at guessing from looking at his hand". So I place webspinner between those two cards as, unlike mindvision, it can be cycled and places bonus 1/1 on the board, but just isn't quite as good as a chaotic version arcane intellect.

Additional bonus over mindvision/thoughtsteal is that you are guaranteed something that works with your (presumably) beast deck, while the other two might get you something anti-sinergistic or downright unusable like deadly poison.

edit: duplicate: might be best paired with mid-range stuff that requires certain cards to remove as then you are getting more of an annoying creature than your opponent has cards to deal with it. Granted if said card is hex/poly you are just getting sheep/frog. It might be usefull however in some sort of control-mage that isn't freeze OTK or combo. Getting more of the same minion usually means either more sickyness for the sticky creatures (divine shield, harvest) in the early game or more win conditions in the mid-late (sylvanas, cairne, rag).

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:53 am UTC

Yubtzock wrote:I HATE how tracking discards your cards...

The usual response to this on the Hearthstone subreddit is to think of it like this - instead of Tracking looking at your next 3 cards, it actually looks at the bottom 3 cards of your deck. You get to take one of those cards, and the other two are discarded. How often, as Hunter, do you actually see the bottom 3 cards of your deck at all? I doubt it happens often, so Tracking's discards are, in most cases, completely irrelevant to the value of getting the 1-of-3 card selection.

EDIT: Certainly in the Noth heroic challenge*, Duplicate is by far the most annoying when it hits a 5/5 Skeleton, rather than the little stuff. I imagine actual constructed games won't have quite the same dynamic though.

*Which I'm having real trouble with - haven't completed yet; I've tried Druid and Paladin decks that I think might work given a few more attempts, and I have a Burn Mage idea too. That plague board clear card he has just wrecks me every time, though

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:
Yubtzock wrote:I HATE how tracking discards your cards...

The usual response to this on the Hearthstone subreddit is to think of it like this - instead of Tracking looking at your next 3 cards, it actually looks at the bottom 3 cards of your deck. You get to take one of those cards, and the other two are discarded. How often, as Hunter, do you actually see the bottom 3 cards of your deck at all? I doubt it happens often, so Tracking's discards are, in most cases, completely irrelevant to the value of getting the 1-of-3 card selection.

This. Mill doesn't matter unless you draw your entire deck over the course of the game. For every game that you discard a Leeroy, there'll be a game where you draw him when you wouldn't have otherwise - just think of it like shuffling. In fact, I'd argue that mill is an advantage more often than a disadvantage, as you know which cards you won't draw over the course of the game.

RE new cards (again): I still want to try out a deck with Duplicate in casual that's centered around getting a Leeroy out and just getting 4 more copies to put in your hand. It's an unreliable Turn 7 combo, but it at least seems fun, and the only use I can really think of for it. High-value minions like Sylvanas and Cairne are all 6-mana, meaning that unless you get pretty lucky, you're taking a tempo hit.

But one card I wanted to comment on that I haven't seen much discussion about (presumably because it's pretty bad) is Nerub'ar Weblord. Personal opinions about hosers aside, I just don't like how his ability interacts with Druid and Rogue cards. Keeper of the Grove, Druid of the Claw, Ancient of Lore/War, Cenarius, Defias Ringleader and SI:7 Agent all have Battlecry-like abilities, but don't get affected by Nerub'ar Weblord because of their keywords ('Choose one' and 'Combo'). I can't really say how it would affect balance, but it feels really un-intuitive right now, and makes the Weblord feel even more useless.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:53 pm UTC

Naxx Heroic mode Plague Quarter:
Spoiler:
I did Heigan's heroic challenge last night, and found it really easy. Just rolled through with my regular (post-Naxx) midrange Shaman deck, juggling the 3 damage to keep minions alive as long as possible, and using it to trigger Eggs and Haunted Creepers whenever possible. I've not done Loatheb yet, but I'm pretty sure I have a couple of deck ideas that would beat him - he doesn't seem that tough. I know it can be done with Rogue and Priest, so I'm thinking I'll try a Token-ish Druid, using Naturalize to get rid of the Fen Creeper. Or possibly Hunter. I feel like there's extremely good UtH synergy to be had, and Hunter's Mark would deal with the Creeper.

I'm considering going for a mill strategy against Noth. He plays lots of minions, including two Cult Masters, so any deck with good removal could force him to draw a lot of cards pretty quickly, if he plays both Cult Masters early. Still not sure if that will work though. I tried various 'big guys' strategies, and some of them worked okay, but I always get wrecked by the damn plague card. I might try a Hunter variant (purely for Flare) if I had good cards for it, but I really don't.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:17 pm UTC

I do ALL challenges with mage. Just on principle. This second batch seems a bit rougher, but I managed to get through the first one pretty solidly. I'm thinking the second should be much easier.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:I do ALL challenges with mage. Just on principle. This second batch seems a bit rougher, but I managed to get through the first one pretty solidly. I'm thinking the second should be much easier.

I'd be interested to hear how you do against Loatheb. I'd think Mage might be too slow to deal with his opening in time.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:27 pm UTC

Mage was how I ended up beating loatheb, actually. You'll eat some damage yes, but your hero power makes pinging the buffs much much easier.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:56 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:Mage was how I ended up beating loatheb, actually. You'll eat some damage yes, but your hero power makes pinging the buffs much much easier.

How do you stop the initial Fen Creeper? Rely on Loatheb giving you a buffed minion? I guess a volley of cheap spells might also work.

faranim

Postby faranim » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:35 pm UTC

I've only done Noth so far. I think he might be the hardest one of this wing. Druid was a major fail (Black Knight...). Mage worked great. It took me 2-3 attempts, but the win was fairly easy.
Spoiler:
I used a pseudo-freeze mage, to basically stall the board thru the mid-game and then Blizzard/Flamestrike to wipe the board clean. Fish out the Plagues by playing some mid-range minions, then drop the big guys. Fireball or Polymorph takes care of the 5/5s that spawn. I don't have Alextraza, but I do have Malygalos (sp?), which made it a bit easier at the end (6 damage Arcane Blast for 2 mana, etc). Stormwind champion, boulderfist ogre, etc. to smash face in the end game. The Twilight Dragon (4/1 + Health per card in hand) was good for the early/mid-game, since I basically didn't play any cards and just killed off minions with hero power until I could finally freeze the board on turn 6/7.

The Mage guy is probably the 2nd hardest. His hero power at least seems pretty easy to deal with (esp. with the 1/4 Gargoyle that heals to full on your turn).

Loatheb seems like he will be easy. The spores that he drops are way too easy to exploit. Should be pretty easy with any Aggro or Zoo type deck.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:49 am UTC

Loatheb 'seems' easy but will wipe your board or kill medium size guys with the 1 damage all or 5 damage spell, which he has way too many of. Cards that spawn multiple tokens are nice, as are elven archers if you don't have the mage ping. He likes to protect the buff minions with taunts.

The first fen creeper is as easy as the 1/1 divine shield turn one, ping buff turn two, trade.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:45 am UTC

I opened an Alexstrasza in a pack today. Immediately tried the Noth heroic challenge and beat it with ease.

Spoiler:
I used a Freeze Mage type deck, but cut every minion except for Alexstrasza and two Ethereal Arcanists. Instead, I put in Counterspells, Polymorphs and a few 1-cost spells to trigger Noth's Counterspells. Dropped an Arcanist turn 6, protected it with Frost Nova, Blizzard and Flamestrike; it was a 7/7 on turn 9 when I dropped Alex, so I didn't even need spells to pop the Ice Block the next turn, and won the turn after. I guess it would've been a lot harder if he'd drawn any of the Plague cards, though.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:04 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I opened an Alexstrasza in a pack today, nbd.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:54 am UTC

It's pretty awesome, but I don't have any decks that it really fits in yet - I'm still missing Ice Blocks for Freeze Mage, almost all the Giants for Handlock or Giants Mage, and half the Legendaries I'd need for Control Warrior. I've opened a few good Legendaries in the last couple of weeks (which is kinda weird, because I've also been opening fewer packs, since I've been saving money for Naxx), plus I crafted Rag, so I'm a lot closer to being able to put together some big Control decks, but I don't think I'm quite there yet.

I'm maining Amaz-style Priest at the moment (hence the crafted Rag), which is fun, but so much harder to play than any other deck I've tried. You constantly have so many options, and it's rarely obvious what the correct play is - should you go for a complicated Pyromancer-based boardclear now, or just heal and wait until next turn, or play a minion? Auchenai + Circle for board clear, or Cleric + Circle for cards? And even building the deck is tricky - there are so many tech options, although this is simplified by the fact that I don't have any Cabal Shadow Priests or Injured Blademasters (I can't wait for Dark Cultists to fill out my 3-spot). I kinda want to play Shaman, but Priest is just so much better against all the Zoolock. When you get a big play off, it feels fantastic, but just as often I feel like I threw games away by misplaying. I hope I get better with practice. With Priest games take much longer, so even if I do get my win rate up I'll still gain ranks pretty slowly I guess.

EDIT: Also, yesterday I played against someone running almost the exact same Tempo Rogue deck I got legend with. He went for face constantly, and I won really easily, despite a couple of misplays on my part - it was almost painful. That deck is meant to have a really favorable matchup against Priest: you just control the board, and the Priest has a really hard time dealing with all the 4-attack minions. I almost friended the Rogue player after the game to tell him how that deck should be played, since he was playing it totally wrong, and I'm pretty good at Tempo Rogue so could probably give some decent advice, but I was worried it would just come off as insulting / condescending to tell him how to play his own deck, so I decided against.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:00 am UTC

I can't remember if I posted this and didn't see it in the thread but either way this is a good guide to Priest by Amaz. Did I mention he's so much more tolerable in text form?
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:04 am UTC

Yeah, I saw that on reddit; the guide is good for mulligans, general strategy and deck building options, but the specifics of what play to make each turn to achieve those strategic goals is still incredibly complex, and not really covered at all (it couldn't be, really, it just comes from experience and thinking things through).

In other news, a top legend player (Sky) just posted to Reddit their Bloodlust Shaman deck which is very similar to the Shaman deck I was running last week, but with the addition of Sludge Belchers, which weren't released back then. They cut the Fire Elementals, which is probably correct for the deck, but is a very tough thing to do in Shaman. It's just such a high quality card. I think I play too much Arena to be completely in tune with Constructed deck building.

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:43 am UTC

Alex is one legendary I never counted as the top tier, but recently I've seen enough to be convinced. There isn't a thing that does anything quite like it, so while it's kinda clunky it is also irreplaceable. The toplist of neutral legends is (I think): rag, leeroy, ysera, alex, sylvanas, cairne, bloodmage in more or less that order. While cairne is universally good value in stats which isn't that special, and bloodmage might be the best tool around, it can be replaced by either loot hoarder or gnome - none of this can be said about any of the other five. [edit: I forgot Black Knight - he's weird and situational but some classes can use him much better than others - druid and shaman with spells that add taunt]
I'm missing all but one of those and I'm sitting on 1600+ dust. If meta shifts more toward control I might crack and craft something. xD
If I had moltens I might have even crafted alex for the freeze-giant-duplicate deck Noxious showed off recently.

On the topic of priest decks - I had enough of late-game control priest. It's very volatile and susceptible to bad draws, and most crucial things early game are combos, which isn't reliable enough for me in meta with zoolocks, aggro, rush and answers to those. I made a priest with tons of early drops, taunts and carddraw to basically keep up with zoo and boardflood/boardwipes. I use unstable ghouls and acolytes of pain which I find more reliable than pyromancers and clerics, but I use all of them - deck with so many cheap drops needs to control the board and draw as mad. It's even easier to use the clerics now, since board control is so much easier.
Other heroes of the deck in fight vs zoo are senjins, sludge belchers and... shadow madness + crazed alch. Yep. Even if I run into control/late game deck these two can bring value. Possibly the best moment is swapping around wounded cairne and running it into something just to get baine. Or stealing eggs from zoo.
I needed something for fighting slower, control-type decks so I added 2 cards with cost >5 - holy fire and ysera - I can survive with 1-2 dead cards on my hand vs zoo and my play vs control is mostly controling the board, pinging face with leftover minions and making sure I'm not out of fuel by using all the cardraw I have. Ysera alone can seal the deal if not removed and I just need to make sure to drop her as late as possible.
I'm even using mass dispel - I needed a silence and I can't have an owl because of ghouls, so if I'm gonna pay 4 for a silence I might just as well pay for a cycle (0 mana spell isn't appealing for me if I have so many cheap cards). Besides, turn 4 Dispel into turn 5 auchenai + circle + PW:shield or simply holy nova - board dominance and no leftover deathrattles.

Game of the day was vs other priest (typical late-game one, two SW:Deaths, sylvanas, rag, ysera). I already knew my deck can run into fatigue really fast so I knew when to pace myself. he tried to mill me in the last moment, but it was 1 draw too late. We ended up going into -9 fatigue damage. He even had one cleric out but I was only left with 1 PW:shield at that time. 1 damage a turn did not help when he was 2 turns ahead of me in fatigue :) He added me later and told me he had had 2x PW:shield on hand from thoughtsteal and unused PW:Deaths. Well... sure - I only have 5+dmg minion if I crazed alch one. :D

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:32 am UTC

Is anyone else having trouble on Heroic Gothik? I really can't seem to find a way to make it beatable - he has the upper hand in damage, cards, minion cost and mana ramp :/

Spoiler:
The only way in I can see is by somehow using the 0/Xes he gives you to your advantage, but I've tried going Shaman with buffs all over the place to suicide them and it didn't work - I just died too quickly :/ maybe I need to go more all-in on Bloodlust? Or is the answer in Druid with Savage Roar?
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:37 am UTC

Friendly reminder that Military Quarter opens at midnight PST in NA (in about 4 and a half hours).

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:28 am UTC

Weeks wrote:Friendly reminder that Military Quarter opens at midnight PST in NA (in about 4 and a half hours).

If the releases were at a sane time, rather than midnight, I'd probably be annoyed by the staggered release schedule, since I chose to play on EU, not Asia, as my main account (I have an Asia account, but it has very few cards), and if I were on Asia I could get into Naxx earlier. But with the midnight (or 1am KST) releases, it's out in every region before I get home from work on Wednesday, anyway.

EDIT: Also opened Captain Greenskin yesterday. He might even fit in my Tempo Rogue deck. I'm on a roll! :D

Currently I'm 2 commons, 33 rares, 39 epics and 24 legendaries away from a complete collection. ~57000 dust, which is a lot less than the last time I counted.

faranim

Postby faranim » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:24 pm UTC

oh man... I'm currently on an epic arena run with a Ramp Druid deck. 9 wins and 0 losses at the moment.

Do you get anything special for 12 wins and 0 losses?

The decklist from memory contains:
Spoiler:
1 Innervate (ramp)
2 Wild Growth (ramp)
1 Panther thingy (All Minions +1/+1 or summon a 3/2)
2 Wrath (removal / card draw)
2 Swipes (removal)
1 Starfall (removal / card draw)
1 Thingy that gives all your minions Deathrattle: Summon a 2/2

About 5 minions that cost 3 or less (The 1/2 Taunt footmen guy, 3/2 Faerie Dragon, 3/2 Sun Priestess, Voodoo Doctor)

Several Spell Power minions that cost 4 (Azure Dragon, and the 1/4 Dwarf Mage guy)

And at least 10 minions that cost 5 or more:
LOTS of Taunts (3/5 sludge thingy, 2x 8/8 Oak Tree, 2x Druid of the Claw, Ancient of War)
Lots of big minions (Stormwind Champion, Windfury Harpy, the Footmen guy that summons a 4/4 + 2/2)

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:19 pm UTC

Finished Heroic, finally :D

Spoiler:
Really cool wing this week, definitely the trickiest one so far. Razuvious I had loads of trouble with at first, as I assumed I could probably beat him with a normal deck, but once I made a deck to suit him - Paladin with heals, taunt, divine shields and a couple of Eye for an Eyes for good measure - I got past him first try with 30 health and total board dominance to spare.

Gothik, as I implied before, is the hardest Naxx boss I've faced so far - I tried loads of tactics against him, from my standard paladin, to an Inner Fire priest that utilised the spectrals, to a shaman with a bunch of buffs just to try and get rid of them, to a last-ditch effort at coldlight rogue mill - but none of them had any success, losing before any kind of combo could come into effect. In the end, I went back to the drawing board and tried to work out where the 'in' was - so I tried to look for cards that would use his huge advantages to my advantage, and came up with Divine Favour and Mind Control Tech. Divine Favour was a Paladin card that I used to utilise heavily in a deck I dubbed 'Almsivi Intervention' - an aggro-ish deck that relied on small creatures, throwing them out as fast as possible and then relying on Favour and Cult Master to refill the hand and enter the fray again, backed up with Equality combos to clear their board. Tried that out once with a couple of modifications, but the damage turned out to be too much, so I threw in a couple of Guardian of Kings and I won second try through fatigue - the trick seems to be to just outlast him, because he decks himself twice as fast as you.

Rivendare, by comparison, wasn't too bad - at first I tried to do another all-in on equality paladin deck that worked for the normal mode version, but I didn't have any luck with it turning up, so I switched it up to a priest deck with an emphasis on Shadow Word: Pain, Shadow Madness and Cabal Shadow Priest, plus a bunch of taunts as usual (Deathlord was fantastic here, as Rivendare's deck has no creatures). Managed to beat him in a couple of tries with this deck, my winning game involving a Shadow Madness/Youthful Brewmaster combo on one of the horsemen so I got to keep him, managing to last for all the turns I needed to let him die through fatigue.

Don't have much to say on the class challenges except that Blizzard have to have known what they were doing when they put Voidcaller and Jaraxxus in a deck against a guy who ran Shadow Word: Pain :P that was a depressing turn.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:26 pm UTC

faranim wrote:oh man... I'm currently on an epic arena run with a Ramp Druid deck. 9 wins and 0 losses at the moment.

Do you get anything special for 12 wins and 0 losses?

The decklist from memory contains:
Spoiler:
1 Innervate (ramp)
2 Wild Growth (ramp)
1 Panther thingy (All Minions +1/+1 or summon a 3/2)
2 Wrath (removal / card draw)
2 Swipes (removal)
1 Starfall (removal / card draw)
1 Thingy that gives all your minions Deathrattle: Summon a 2/2

About 5 minions that cost 3 or less (The 1/2 Taunt footmen guy, 3/2 Faerie Dragon, 3/2 Sun Priestess, Voodoo Doctor)

Several Spell Power minions that cost 4 (Azure Dragon, and the 1/4 Dwarf Mage guy)

And at least 10 minions that cost 5 or more:
LOTS of Taunts (3/5 sludge thingy, 2x 8/8 Oak Tree, 2x Druid of the Claw, Ancient of War)
Lots of big minions (Stormwind Champion, Windfury Harpy, the Footmen guy that summons a 4/4 + 2/2)
Sounds like a great deck with few bad cards and lots of good ones. 12 wins gets you the highest tier of prizes (5 prize thingies) and the satisfaction of going 12 wins.

This Quarter's Heroic mode is so. Damn. Cheesy.

edit:

Spoiler:
Baron Rivendare was laughably easy. Using almost the same Priest deck to beat the previous two, I got him in one try, whereas the others took like 10+ each.

I barely outlasted Gothik with 3 health and 3 self-damaging minions on my board. He had 7 health after I attacked. Then he drew 3 damage fatigue, then used hero power to kill himself!

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:38 am UTC

Results of my last arena run, and first in a very long time:

Spoiler:
Hearthstone_Screenshot_8.7.2014.01.21.51.png

Spoiler:
Hearthstone_Screenshot_8.7.2014.01.22.28.png

...is this the part where I make a Reddit account?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:10 am UTC

Yes, I do believe it is. Was that a 12-0, or just 12 wins overall? Because 12-0 with that finisher would be damned impressive. :D

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:27 am UTC

12-1, unfortunately. That was actually my second game in a row against that guy, the first being when I was at 11-0 - he beat me the first time, robbing me of my perfect chicken run, but I got my revenge :P

That arena run was honestly all-around the dumbest thing I've ever done in Hearthstone. The Angry Chicken was in a pick between Alarm-O-Bot, Deathlord and the Chicken, and given I still don't trust Deathlord at all, I drafted the Chicken. The deck in general felt awful, only having 2 3-mana cards in total, and I wasn't even expecting to get 3 wins - but my opponents were consistently below-par, and my Crazed Alchemist (who was nearly always in my opening hand) consistently made godly trades somehow, and I just kept climbing without any losses, completely in shock :P And that Chicken didn't just get the last blow in that game, it really did win me the entire thing - the Blessing of Kings buff and subsequent damage being too much for my opponent to deal with.

Oh, and my rewards? A bunch of gold and two packs, which was all dust except for a single Southsea Captain. That made me pretty hype, because I thought it was the only guy I needed to get Captain's Parrot - but then I remembered I still had Greenskin left to get.

And then I used 200 of the gold I won to buy two more packs.

Best. Legendary pull. Ever.
Last edited by SirBryghtside on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:41 am UTC

I would really like to play against a pirates deck, I've yet to run into one.

Still loving my mur'lock deck, he oneshot the normal mode bosses on yet another naxx wing (not so much the second wing), and ran me from rank ~18 to rank 12 in one continuous winning streak. Rank 12 seems to be where that deck tapers off though, need to switch up to something else, my cycle pally isn't doing too well at that rank either.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:29 am UTC

Dumbest Hearthstone player EU, day 2:

Spoiler:
Hearthstone_Screenshot_8.8.2014.01.25.26.png

(I got bored of ranked)

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:02 am UTC

Wooo!

Spoiler:
Hearthstone_Screenshot_8.9.2014.18.19.23.png
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:38 am UTC

Grats! Doubly so since I can't figure out wtf to do with Rogue in Arena.

Will

Postby Will » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:18 am UTC

I didn't feel great about the draft because I got a lot of shitty picks, but many of them ended up comboing in unexpected ways. Also, I got 3 assassin's blades which do a damn good job of locking down the board in the early-mid game. I think a better player could have gone 12 wins with this deck easily.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:10 am UTC

I don't think I would ever draft more than 2 Assassin's Blades unless the other options were really awful. There's just too much chance that you'll have 2-3 in the same hand, and they'll be dead cards for 4+ turns and lose you a huge amount of tempo.

Just had an 11-win Druid arena. I could almost certainly have won the game at 11-1 against a Hunter - had him down to 12, and decided to go all in for damage with a charge Druid of the Claw, rather than taunting up. Got him down to 2 life the turn after, but then he threw down a few taunts and I couldn't find the damage I needed. Got 250 gold and a load of cards I already have... The deck played really nicely, though - lots of 2-3 mana minions and 3 copies of Power of the Wild, so often I could flood the board then pump to just crush the opponent if they didn't have a strong opening. I was a little light on late game (Ancient of War, Sunwalker, Venture Co and Druid of the Claw was about it), but the token-buffing early game more than made up for it. Also, one game I innervated out a Venture Co on turn 2.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:59 pm UTC

Nice one! Rogue drafts are really tricky to play correctly, because while the Hero Ability is great for tempo, you've got to keep an eye on your life total for the whole game - something that you rarely have to think about with the other classes. Looks like an amazing draft too, you've definitely got that down :)

Will

Postby Will » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:22 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I don't think I would ever draft more than 2 Assassin's Blades unless the other options were really awful. There's just too much chance that you'll have 2-3 in the same hand, and they'll be dead cards for 4+ turns and lose you a huge amount of tempo.

The third one I drafted over a Leper Gnome and Shieldbearer, so yeah, pretty bad. I had a fourth come up too, but fortunately I had a better pick that time. I did get fairly lucky in that they were never really dead cards in my hand.

Edit: Also blade flurry was the first card I drafted so I valued them a little more highly than I would have otherwise.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:54 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Baron Rivendare OP

I had dropped argus on two eggs the turn before, then suicided them after dropping baron.

*edit* did it again the next game... might have to try this in ranked.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:34 pm UTC

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:22 pm UTC

I'm calling it now that priest aggro will become a top-tier deck overnight :P so many good cards there

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:44 pm UTC

Dark Cultist isn't a good fit in the current priest decks, so it'll be interesting to see what new shells start popping up.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:27 pm UTC

I just realized that Zombie Chow combos with Auchenai. Heh.

Return to “Gaming”