XBox Tech Support and RROD Support Group

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

NOT Steve

XBox Tech Support and RROD Support Group

Postby NOT Steve » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:44 am UTC

I just got an XBox 360 a few weeks ago and was looking into getting it hooked up to the internet when I came to a startling conclusion: I have no available ethernet ports! I looked into the wireless network adapter, but $100 seemed a bit steep to me, so I was wandering if anybody could direct me to a cheaper alternative, if there is one. Any help would be appreciated.
Should horses be represented in the Senate? Nay.

peter

Postby peter » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

Yea, I ended up paying $100, but that is too much.

These are only $74, but they are used. But, they're from Amazon, so most of them should be good quality. Sorry I couldn't help more.

ALSO, WHY DOES EVERYONE HERE CALL IT "XBox Live"?
Last edited by peter on Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

miles01110

Postby miles01110 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm UTC

could you use a router or a switch?

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:53 am UTC

peter wrote:ALSO, WHY DOES EVERYONE HERE CALL IT "XBox Live"?

Instead of Xbox live? I'm confused.

I used a router if I remember correctly, but it was a pain in the ass to get working.

peter

Postby peter » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:58 pm UTC

Delbin wrote:

Yea. It's "Xbox Live", or "Xbox LIVE". Not, "XBox Live". That doesn't make any sense. And everyone, yes, everyone on xkcd says it.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:01 pm UTC

peter wrote:
Delbin wrote:

Yea. It's "Xbox Live", or "Xbox LIVE". Not, "XBox Live". That doesn't make any sense. And everyone, yes, everyone on xkcd says it.

That is quite possibly as pedantic as you could possibly ever get. I often refer to it as xBox, because the beauty of language is that I can do this, you can still understand me, and really it does not matter one jot.

NOT Steve

Postby NOT Steve » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:12 am UTC

I couldn't help but notice that this thread had sort of veered in the direction of proper writing of Xbox Live, so I thought I would steer it back to where it had originated. Anyhoo, I tried hooking the Xbox up to an Ethernet port on this thing http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=182E4B7C&nplm=M9470LL/A, but it didn't work. If it shouldn't have, could someone tell me, and if it should have, could someone tell me why it didn't.
Should horses be represented in the Senate? Nay.

TiberiusM

Postby TiberiusM » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

Your problem could be that you're trying to hook up an Xbox (Microsoft) to an Airport router (Apple). However I'm sure I'm entirely wrong.

Uh, first thing to do is manually set your Xbox network settings to the same as your routers settings, cause automatic detection isn't foolproof. Then run a test of the settings to see what works.

I've got my Xbox set up through a router/hub to a router, which is kinda the same thing it looks like you're trying to do...almost. So the manual settings work for me. However I also set the DMZ on the router to point to my Xbox, as not doing so gave me a 'Strict' NAT setting.

Hope that kinda helps, or makes sense.

EDIT: Oh, not really sure how that apple thing you have linked works, but make sure that the ethernet port on that hub isn't a WAN connection. Cause if thats where you're supposed to plug the internet in, its not gonna work. However, if it recieves internet wirelessly, and the ethernet port is a LAN port, it should work fine, but I can't be sure.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:32 pm UTC

I have no clue why that router's not working, but I know there are splitters available that can split one ethernet port into two, which I'm sure is cheaper than a router. (I know they exist, I have no clue where to get one, and I know they're a lot cheaper than a router.)

You could make one of your own if you're up to it: http://www.instructables.com/id/EIHOQ7XRIJEP287JUF/

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:59 am UTC

Because the apple thing isnt a wireless bridge most likely. Its a router which means you would need to plug the LAN line from your modem into it in order for it to pass on a signal. If it does work as a wireless bridge then you can set it up like that somehow in the firmware.

Since it only has 2 wired ports itll be useless as an expansion if you used it as a wired bridge.

If you are just hooking it straight into your computer you should look at getting a router to expand your number of ports. If you already have a router then yeah you'll need a switch or the wireless adapter which is horribly expensive.

LittleChrist

Xbox 360 Orientation

Postby LittleChrist » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:17 pm UTC

I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas. I have a 1st generation PS2 that has had (knock on wood) NO problems ever. Now, I would like to keep the same track record with the 360. I have heard alot about scratched discs and overheating. How do you 360 owners recommend positioning the console? Horizontal (so the disc drive is parallel to the floor) or Vertical (so the disc drive is perpendicular to the floor)? Any other recommendations for good Xbox maintenance?
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~ Theodor Seuss Geisel

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Re: Xbox 360 Orientation

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

The booklet which came with the console recommends horizontal. As do I. I believe that this is due to a greater ability to ventilate.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:37 pm UTC

Just looking at it from the standpoint of protecting the disc...

The original Playstation, the Gamecube, and many portable CD players have little tabs or balls or whatever you want to call it that helped lock the disc firmly in place. Flip the thing over, around whatever.. the disc does not move.

Computer CD-ROMs, PS2s, XBoxes have a sliding tray where the disc rests before being slid back in to the system, where the spinner then moves in to position, locking the disc in place. As the tray is sliding, however, the disc is still free to move about. Nothing's holding it in place.

I've always logically concluded that, while a perpendicular to the floor position of the tray might work with tabs and so forth that attempt to hold the disc in place, gravity will do a far better job.... So I'd assume having the sliding tray parallel to the floor would be the ideal position. That way, there's almost no chance of the disc sliding around and scratching itself while the tray is in motion.

As far as ventilation is concerned.. I have no idea.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:19 am UTC

Horizontal, just because it's more stable. Also, keep it in the open. It gets really fucking hot.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Stax Kazama

Postby Stax Kazama » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:12 am UTC

Horizontal. If you keep it vertical, the slightest vibrations or shaking could potentially cause the disc to wobble (there's nothing holding it in place) and have a ring scratched into it. I work at a game store and I've lost count of how many people have experienced this problem.

Hephesus

Postby Hephesus » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:50 am UTC

Horizontal seems to work best.

My first 360 was kept on the inside of the entertainment center. It got the red lights within 2 months. Microsoft sent me a new one. This one I keep on top, well ventilated and close to the AC vent and has had no problems whatsoever in the 9 months I've had it.

So yeah, make sure it is well ventilated.

LittleChrist

Postby LittleChrist » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

I have it horizontal right now inside of an entertainment stand. It has its own bay that is closed with a sliding glass front. When played, the glass door is open allowing air in the front. It has a fairly large opening in the back to accommodate cables and facilitate air flow. Because it is a room used frequently for other things, it must be kept inside this bay. I was thinking about putting a shelf in above it to make room for the PS2, but this would close the space even further. The bay is about 12" high x 20" wide x 20" deep. The rear opening would fall completely below this shelf. I am worried that this will trap the heat and not allow it to dissipate quickly. I'm not against just leaving the PS2 somewhere else until I want to play it though. Suggestions?
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~ Theodor Seuss Geisel

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:19 am UTC

LittleChrist wrote:I have it horizontal right now inside of an entertainment stand. It has its own bay that is closed with a sliding glass front. When played, the glass door is open allowing air in the front. It has a fairly large opening in the back to accommodate cables and facilitate air flow. Because it is a room used frequently for other things, it must be kept inside this bay. I was thinking about putting a shelf in above it to make room for the PS2, but this would close the space even further. The bay is about 12" high x 20" wide x 20" deep. The rear opening would fall completely below this shelf. I am worried that this will trap the heat and not allow it to dissipate quickly. I'm not against just leaving the PS2 somewhere else until I want to play it though. Suggestions?

Get a new cabinet. Or just install some computer fans in the back.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

isauteikisa

What game caused your RRoD?

Postby isauteikisa » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

About six months ago, I experienced my first Red Ring of Death. I had just purchased a copy of Oblivion, and my roommate and I had been playing the game for about 10 hours straight - I'd play for a couple, he'd load his game and go for a while, and so forth. The game locked up on me when I was traveling, so I decided to turn the machine off and back on to get it to work again. When I booted it, it froze up on the Xbox logo screen, and I knew something was up. I tried restarting it again, and I got the dreaded red ring of death. Fortunately, I had a replacement plan on the box, so I got it replaced the next day, but it still sucked.

So what game caused your Xbox to die?
Isau on WoW (US-Gilneas)
Isau on XBox360
isauteikisa elsewhere

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not the sport for you.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Re: What game caused your RRoD?

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

Green&clean here.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

I don't know that any one game caused the red ring with mine. It started acting up sporadically. I'd get a red ring sometimes, or the video would stall. A reboot, or removing/inserting the HDD would usually fix it. At the time I was mostly playing GH3. It finally completely crapped out a couple days before Rock Band came out.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

Mine is still running fine over a year since purchase (initial release Elite).

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

My friends have had 3 RRoDs to date.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:27 am UTC

I'm pretty lucky in that mine has been running fine since the initial release.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

Portal. On my first playthrough. Right after I incinerated the second ball-thingy from glados.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

grythyttan wrote:Portal. On my first playthrough. Right after I incinerated the second ball-thingy from glados.

Perhaps your Xbox sympathized with that character. If that's so, it's better that it's dead. Were it still alive, that wouldn't be much of a triumph at all.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Popidge

Postby Popidge » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Mine went RRoD last thursday... :(

I'm guessing it was GH3, as it was working fine until one day, i felt like playing Cult Of Personality and it froze jut before the fretboard appeared. Tried again, froze on title screen. Tried again, froze same place as first time. Tried with another game (GH2 i think) and those lights... those 3 little red flashing LED's..

At which point, after a bit of cursing, i callled xbox support to sort it (on the thursday), it got picked up the day after (last friday) and is now on its way back to me, hopefully ready to play some more...
http://popidge.co.uk
Where you can read stuff that, quite frankly, you probably don't care about.

The Kotep

Postby The Kotep » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:09 am UTC

Mass Effect is what led to the downfall of my Xbox. It's strange, because most of my other games run fine. It's just Mass Effect that every so often sort of stops, makes a horrible crunching noise, then either works again or makes me reboot. It's quite strange.
Martivir thric gixustratt Kotep.

DYRE

Postby DYRE » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:31 am UTC

Oblivion, I think.

GrawSith

Postby GrawSith » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:02 am UTC

I red-ringed (red-rung?) after an update, but I intended to download Braid, so I guess that game's to blame.

robard

Postby robard » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:52 am UTC

mine didn't RRoD but Gears of War did manage to do something to my video connection because now when i turn it on i only get sound.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:17 am UTC

Saints row, right when I tried to start it, I saw the evil sight.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:12 am UTC

grythyttan wrote:Portal. On my first playthrough. Right after I incinerated the second ball-thingy from glados.

GLADOS must have been pissed.
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:00 am UTC

Running strong since initial purchase at launch.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:02 am UTC

Mine's still going strong.

The fact that it is not an Xbox and is actually a Wii might have some relevance.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Samsoneffect

Postby Samsoneffect » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

I JUST bought Rock Band and was downloading the update for it, when it tanked on me.
Most people would post something witty, humourous, or perhaps offensive in their signature. Unfortunately, you won't find anything like this here.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

Not for Xbox, but within 10 minutes of beginning to play BioShock my computer's PSU decided to try and emulate a lightbulb.

dizturbd

RROD victim

Postby dizturbd » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:01 am UTC

So my Xbox just red ringed. Specifically, there's a light flashing from the indicator at the front. I'm new to the whole 'your console has failed catastrophically. Seek help' thing, so was wondering what I should do. I looked on xbox.com, and registered my 360, to be told my warranty had ran out. I only bought it in June, but it is second hand.
I should still have the receipt, but that, and the shop I bought it from, are 30 miles away, and I won't be going back there for another two weeks.
What should I do?

InstinctSage

Re: RROD victim

Postby InstinctSage » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:41 am UTC

Well, if the manufacturer's warranty is out, then the only hope you have is that the shop you bought it from gave some kind of warranty (which isn't likely, especially a 6 month+ warranty).

Without a manufacturer's warranty OR a reseller's warranty, you've pretty much got a bricked console. I think you can send it in for repairs at your expense, but I have no idea what that costs.
It might be worth finding a nice, cheap 360 arcade and slotting your HDD into it.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

dizturbd

Re: RROD victim

Postby dizturbd » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:58 am UTC

After posting this, my dad suggested the Arcade idea. So it should be sorted by later today.
Anyone know how much repairing it would be? If I fix it at one point, it's a console to give the sister.

Return to “Gaming”