XBox Tech Support and RROD Support Group

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

BlueSquared

Re: RROD victim

Postby BlueSquared » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

I have successfully repaired two of my own 360s with this method: http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/xbox-36 ... ement.html

It's not that hard (getting the case off is the hardest part, imo). I don't know if you are comfortable with this method, but it is easy, cheap, and makes your xbox run cooler than before it broke.

isauteikisa

XBox 360 LAN question

Postby isauteikisa » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

OK, this is a complete and utter n00b question, but here goes:

My friends and I are renting a house for a vacation, and the current plan is to bring along a pair of XBox 360s so we can get some LAN action going. That being said, I know nothing of how to set up the consoles for the LAN. I'm aware that I'll need a crossover cable, but if we're only linking up two boxes do we need a hub? Anything else I should know?

Thanks. I feel like an absolute idiot not knowing these things (being the resident geek of the group) but hey, gotta start somewhere.
Isau on WoW (US-Gilneas)
Isau on XBox360
isauteikisa elsewhere

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not the sport for you.

Xaddak

Re: XBox 360 LAN question

Postby Xaddak » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

Will you have internet? The easiest method is to just use Live. That's how my roommates and I play Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Although we are occasionally joined by other people, so Live is really the way to go for us. Also, what games are you planning on playing? Not all games have a "LAN" option - some are just "Single Player" and "Live".

If it were me, I'd bring a hub/switch/router to connect them to. I have an irrational distrust of crossover cables.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

isauteikisa

Postby isauteikisa » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Internet is... unknown, honestly. I'd rather bring too much equipment and be able to pull it off without the internet than go on the trip unprepared and wind up being unable to get the systems working together.

Current lineup: Halo 3, L4D, Gears 2, CoD4, and maybe Peggle (depending on if the women get interested). Any known issues?
Isau on WoW (US-Gilneas)
Isau on XBox360
isauteikisa elsewhere

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not the sport for you.

Awia

Postby Awia » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

If you bring a hub you'll need 2 network cables, but you'll be able to connect both the Xboxes to the internet if that's something you want to do.

On setting it up to work over LAN, as far as I know you just have to connect them together and the Xboxes do the rest. Your best bet is to check the Xbox official website me thinks.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:23 am UTC

It seems like I've seen two just connected to each other with a normal ethernet cable, but that was a long time ago and my memory's rusty. That probably would have been for Halo 2, if that helps as a reference point.

But yeah, like Awia said, the Xbox/Microsoft website is probably your best bet for solid facts. Good luck!
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:40 am UTC

I have been to a few LAN parties in my day. With 360's they realize when they are on a network with another one. Just plug them both into a switch or a hub, and they do the rest. It is real easy. (Back when we used the original xbox's, they were pretty much the same, plug and play).
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

ellenthy

Postby ellenthy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:23 am UTC

How can I connect to Xbox Live and computers at the same time? There needs to be internet for computer use as well. I have two internet modem boxes and have to unplug and replug internet cords to use Live. I also have a wireless router (one computer doesn't have wireless and it is plugged directly into the router). Is there a cheap way to have use of the computers and the Xbox at the same time while having decent internet strength?
Last edited by ellenthy on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:10 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:45 pm UTC

You.. what?

Internet Modem Boxes? Two of them? Do you mean a modem and a router, or a modem/router and a switch, or what? You have a router on top of that, so what is going on?

The point being - you shouldn't have to unplug and replug devices to get your XBox and computers on the internet at the same time. Assuming neither modem is a router, your network setup should be Wall Plug > Modem > Wireless Router > PCs and XBox. I have no idea what the second "internet modem box" would be used for.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

t_catt11

Xbox repair rant

Postby t_catt11 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

I fully realize that this thread is of zero value. Feel free to skip it.

Early last year, my xbox 360 died due to the infamous red ring of death. Fortunately, Microsoft had graciously bestowed upon me their extended warranty for this particular issue, so they fixed it free of charge. Yay me! I love Microsoft.

Early this year, my xbox 360 died due to the infamous red ring of death. Unfortunately, my extended warranty was expired. After careful consideration, I decided to purchase a new unit; hey, the old one was quite old at this point, hardware can't live forever, etc.

A few weeks ago, my NEW xbox 360 (four of so months old) dies due to an overheating issue. This is aggravating. I check, and it is a covered repair. Microsoft ships me a box. I ship the unit to them.

Two weeks later, they inform me via email that the repair is complete. Yesterday, my xbox arrives, along with a lovely form letter informing me that my console could not be repaired, since it was excluded from the warranty. The reasons given were mofidifaction/tampering, serial number removed/altered, use of an invalid accessory, act of God, etc.

I called Microsoft last night, where Joe (her accent tells me this was not her real name) informed me that my xbox had been tampered with. I politely went ballistic. After a long delay, her supervisor, Brandon (whose accent also led me to believe that this was probably not his real name), let me know that he could only see a note that my system was rejected due to my tampering. He offered to call me back in three to five business days, once he had obtained the reason the tech had decided to mark my system as tampered with.

I am not a modder. I specifically did not even attempt to open the system, due to the warranty. Heck, I didn't even force the disc tray open to get the game out of the drive. My xbox look slike it came off of the shelf in the store - it is pristine. Needless to say, I am less than pleased with Microsoft now.
Santa4me.com: personalized letters from Santa Claus!

Endless Mike

Re: What game caused your RRoD?

Postby Endless Mike » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:47 pm UTC

Still running fine, although it scared me when I updated to the New New XBox Experience. At the point where it resets itself, it red-ringed. After I hard reset it, it's given me no trouble.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:12 am UTC

Mine is uh...still perfectly alive. I bought it on November 6, 2007 at 4:12 PM. I still have the receipt right here.

As for my friend, well, her 360 red ringed a few weeks ago when we attempted to play Rock Band. A friend at work had his 360 red ring this thursday as he attempted to go get Shadow Complex. Mind you, his 360 hadn't been in use for like, a year.

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:19 am UTC

I was checkerboarded during N+...

:<

Ah well, I got a month's free gold out of it, and a free faceplate (take your faceplate off before sending it in, they put a new one on).

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

I don't own a 360, but I was over at a friend's house once when another friend brought over his and (the new-at-the-time) Halo 3. I was pretty psyched about this because, at the time, I'd never actually played any next-gen consoles.

He sets up the system, tosses in a demo for some racing game, and shows that off for a few minutes. Then he exits out of that, puts the Halo 3 disc in, and...yep, RRoD.

I was actually much more amused with the situation than I had any right to be.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

My 360 is still running smooth, but I've gotta say it was a mistake for Microsoft to make such an obvious, ominous-looking error. It was only inevitable that it would get a scary nickname and gain a celebrity status.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:27 pm UTC

Ehhhhhhhh...I doubt they expected it to have quite the failure rate that it did, and needed some way to display what type of error has occurred. All four red means you're missing video cables.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Ehhhhhhhh...I doubt they expected it to have quite the failure rate that it did, and needed some way to display what type of error has occurred. All four red means you're missing video cables.

Yeah, I've heard about people trying to replace the sucker on a misunderstanding.

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:39 am UTC

Microsoft won't ever release the failure rate (despite the rumored 50+%) because that means admitting failure. It's (inside tracking, FWIW) about half that. No company in its right mind would ever let it be known that they've had any kind of problems. For this, I submit to you Apple and Dell, who, to this date, have never, ever, set anything ablaze. With their explosive batteries. Never.

And while I do review 360 games, I paid for my Falcon with my own God damned money, and am not afraid of platform-bashing. That is to say, cross-platform bashing.

Cross-platform is worse than Bush and his Manimals.

capawe

Postby capawe » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:57 am UTC

I was really annoyed when mine red ringed, because it was the first day of my school holidays and I had just purchased Mass Effect. I came home with my copy of ME, turned on my 360 and decided to watch some Futurama while having a snack before I started playing ME and halfway through one of the episodes my 360 shut itself down and when I turned it back on it had the RROD. Was a week before I could play Mass Effect for the first time.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

still hasn't red-rung yet w00t
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Clumpy

XBox HDMI Help

Postby Clumpy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:56 am UTC

I am buying a 720p HDMI-compatible television (this one) after getting sick of squinting with my XBox 360, and I can't for the life of me find an answer to this question:

Should I buy the HDMI cable or just use the ordinary HD AV component cables that came with my system? My TV has 3 HDMI slots and I have a little speaker system, but I'm not planning anything particularly ambitious with my XBox and much of the web seems to indicate that HDMI may only be for people trying to put together a home theater system or something.

It's just a case of not knowing what to search for - can anybody enlighten me?

ian

Re: XBox HDMI Help

Postby ian » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:02 am UTC

The component cable can dispaly 720p (as well as 1080p and 1080i) so there is no real need to get an hdmi cable as far as i know.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:33 am UTC

You may also wish to make sure you're Xbox is set to display at an HD resolution. You may want to check the system display settings.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:18 am UTC

Yeah, I just tested at my friend's house who has the previous model and the thing looks great. It's quite a novelty to be able to read the gorram text in Dead Space. I have a techie friend who always overrecommends where technical stuff is concerned and swore by HDMI. I'll just stick with what I have, thanks! :)

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:36 am UTC

Well, I changed my mind. I'm buying a 50-inch plasma TV with four HDMI slots. I'll be getting that cable eventually if only because a direct digital cable is better than the three analog HD cables that come with it.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Still running fine, although it scared me when I updated to the New New XBox Experience. At the point where it resets itself, it red-ringed. After I hard reset it, it's given me no trouble.

Jinxed myself. It went on Friday. Wouldn't even start up, so technically, nothing caused it. :(

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:11 am UTC

GUYS, IF YOU HAVEN'T RR'D YET, DON'T POST HERE, IT WILL JINX YOU!
CC
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

FrankManic

Postby FrankManic » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:27 am UTC

I use a computer, like any sensible, god fearing, upright walking hominid. psh posh.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

I haven't had the RRoD yet. No worries about getting jinxed though - I got the freaking E74 error yesterday. Before MS decided to fix that issue for free, I paid a local guy $50 to repair it back in February. Now it happened again. I can a) send it to MS and hope they don't have an issue with the previous fix, or b) take it back to the same guy. Either way, I am freaking pissed.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:19 am UTC

I got a HDMI cable just so's I can have all three of my consoles attached to my tv at once. Was inexpensive and works fine.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

geraldina wrote:What is the difference between the xbox 360 wireless adapter and the xbox live wireless adapter? I have an xbox 360 , Can I use the xbox live wireless adapter that comes in a black box. Or do I have to shell out the extra money and get the little white one in the clear plastic packaging?

Are you talking about the one that was made for the original XBox? I'm reasonably sure that works on the 360, as well.

badwiz

Xbox 360 for 500 Alex: A device to move saves between Xboxes

Postby badwiz » Thu May 27, 2010 12:19 am UTC

"What is a memory stick?"

Let me take you back to a simpler time when a console's profile was how big it sat on the shelf, the hottest set of polygons around was laura croft, and the only hard drive you could have was in Beetle Adventure racing.
Yes, I am going all the way back to late 1996, the last time I have purchased a video game console: the N64, my friend bought the playstation and we shared the best of both worlds. In this infantile era, one could, almost miraculously, save your game to a transportable piece of hardware, and play that same game at another time, place, and console.

Fast-forward to present day. I still own and play that N64, but I get my most of my high resolution kicks from playing friends games, and then saving the games to a memory stick for later completion; I have an impressive collection of nothing but saved games. And when I happen to come across the right combination of system and game copy and 30minutes of spare time at a friends house, I chink away at the game a little more: I beat Metal Gear Solid 2 this way over a period of about 4 years.

Microsoft ( I should have expected this) has put a stop to some of my slow video game panderings with the Xbox 360.
I sunk about 20 hours into Final Fantasy XIII on my friend's Xbox360. And let me say 'wow', this game rocks. But now I need to be able to take my saved game and play it on other Xboxes I come across. And I am royally confused at how to do this. Currently, I believe the saved game is on the Xbox HD. I saved it under his profile, also I believe.

First,
Can someone explain to me in simple terms what the procedure to transport saved games is on an Xbox 360, assuming there is one? What is the function of a profile on the 360? Do I need to save a profile as well as a save game file? I see USB ports on the front of the 360, should I be using those? Can any USB Flash stick be formatted to a memory stick? I heard some story about unlockable content or gamer points bla bla bla... well, you get my extra points if you can explain this to me using Nintendo language or writing out the procedure so it fits in the acronym MARIO.

Second,
Who likes this new fangled 7th gen consoles? I mean, yea I love totally sweet graphics just like the next person (ZOMG FFXIII ), but really all this convergence is giving me a headache. I love the convergence on my phone, not on my video game system.
In other words = I do not agree with having everything do everything.

rrwoods

xbox 360 dashboard font

Postby rrwoods » Thu May 27, 2010 3:28 am UTC

I've googled and googled and googled and I can't find it. Does anyone know what font the Xbox 360 dashboard uses?
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

SurgicalSteel

Re: xbox 360 dashboard font

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu May 27, 2010 5:11 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:I've googled and googled and googled and I can't find it. Does anyone know what font the Xbox 360 dashboard uses?
Convection by Ascender
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Gopher of Pern

Re: XBox Tech Support and RROD Support Group

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu May 27, 2010 5:39 am UTC

badwiz wrote:
First,
Can someone explain to me in simple terms what the procedure to transport saved games is on an Xbox 360, assuming there is one? What is the function of a profile on the 360? Do I need to save a profile as well as a save game file? I see USB ports on the front of the 360, should I be using those? Can any USB Flash stick be formatted to a memory stick? I heard some story about unlockable content or gamer points bla bla bla... well, you get my extra points if you can explain this to me using Nintendo language or writing out the procedure so it fits in the acronym MARIO.

Second,
Who likes this new fangled 7th gen consoles? I mean, yea I love totally sweet graphics just like the next person (ZOMG FFXIII ), but really all this convergence is giving me a headache. I love the convergence on my phone, not on my video game system.
In other words = I do not agree with having everything do everything.

First, you need an xbox memory card. It's like a flash drive, but it works with xbox 360. Now, if you plan on using this to transfer saves between consoles, it would be better to create your own profile on the memory card, and save all your games to that.
However, it seems you haven't done that. If it is just that one game, you could copy his profile, along with the save game, onto the memory card, then create a new profile and use that for all other games. To copy these, just go to the memory section of the xbox option menu. You should have no trouble as long as you keep the account offline.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

rrwoods

Re: xbox 360 dashboard font

Postby rrwoods » Thu May 27, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
rrwoods wrote:I've googled and googled and googled and I can't find it. Does anyone know what font the Xbox 360 dashboard uses?
Convection by Ascender

Thanks very much!
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu May 27, 2010 1:40 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:First, you need an xbox memory card.

Just a quick correction: A recent update has allowed the use of any USB flash drives of 1-16 GB size (but not more or less), so any old thing you have lying around will work except that I'm pretty sure it becomes XBox format and can't be used elsewhere. It accepts them as storage for anything that will fit, even "installed" games.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu May 27, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
Gopher of Pern wrote:First, you need an xbox memory card.

Just a quick correction: A recent update has allowed the use of any USB flash drives of 1-16 GB size (but not more or less), so any old thing you have lying around will work except that I'm pretty sure it becomes XBox format and can't be used elsewhere. It accepts them as storage for anything that will fit, even "installed" games.

Wow, thats good to know. The xbox ones were horribly overpriced!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

Yeah, now Sandisk is selling officially licensed, horribly overpriced XBox branded USB flash drives! :roll:

Return to “Gaming”