Gaming fleeting thoughts

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7224
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Zohar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:56 pm UTC

How come we don't have a thread for general gaming stuff that happens that we don't want to open a specific thread for? Like Thesh's Gaming Ramblings but, you know, for everyone?

Anyway I had an awesome run at game night yesterday - first we won two months straight of Pandemic Legacy in my regular group (July and August). I can't believe we're getting close to the end! It will be sad when it's over. We were very lucky during the setup phase, too.

Then I played a round of Avalon, I was one of the evil guys and it went so great! Pretty much no one suspected me of being evil except for (obviously) Merlin and Percival, I got to choose the team on the fifth vote (so people don't approve it) for the final win for evil, I just chose myself, the two other evil people, and some random person, and people were shocked that I did that. It felt very very good. :) I even correctly guessed who Merlin was (we still try to do that even if evil already wins).
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

rmsgrey
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:08 pm UTC

My gaming group has gone off Resistance (etc) and ONUW (etc) - Secret Hitler has been fun for a while, but we've played enough hidden-team social-deduction games that we've kinda solved them for the most part...

We have two copies of Pandemic Legacy, each playing about 2 games per real-world month, both about to play April for the first time. I know pretty much every spoiler about the game, so I know what's coming up. On the other hand, I also know that my box 8 is empty, despite having won all three games so far... :(

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7224
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Zohar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:31 pm UTC

Is box 8 the one you're supposed to open if you lose four in a row? We're all very curious to know what's in there. We'll probably open whatever's left at the end of the game once we're done.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

rmsgrey
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:21 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:Is box 8 the one you're supposed to open if you lose four in a row? We're all very curious to know what's in there. We'll probably open whatever's left at the end of the game once we're done.


Yeah, Box 8 is the consolation prize - apparently it's the only thing you might not have opened by the end of the campaign if you open everything when you're supposed to.

If fact, you're supposed to have everything but Box 8 opened with a number of cards left in the Legacy Deck.
Spoiler:
At the start of November, you open everything else that's left


Our group's other copy of Pandemic Legacy has a box 8 that rattles when shaken, so I'm pretty sure mine being empty is an aberration. You can peek inside the boxes without breaking their seals by opening their ends, which is how I know that my box 8 is empty (and that my box 3 is missing a piece compared to other players' counts on BGG)

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6966
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:00 am UTC

I played Pony Island today. Weird, I guess is how I would describe that game.

I've also been playing Pillars of Eternity. I abandoned my first play through some 20 hours into the game, after ending up in an irrecoverable state. But I'm about as far into the game again. Playing on Hard this time. ... the difficulty setting is aptly named.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7224
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Zohar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:46 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:You can peek inside the boxes without breaking their seals by opening their ends, which is how I know that my box 8 is empty (and that my box 3 is missing a piece compared to other players' counts on BGG)

Maybe you can contact the company about this? They sometimes send replacement parts for that sort of thing.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5078
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Xeio » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:51 pm UTC

I need to form a group for Pandemic Legacy, I bought it because the legacy concept seems really neat, but I need to make a regular group or something.

rmsgrey
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:32 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:You can peek inside the boxes without breaking their seals by opening their ends, which is how I know that my box 8 is empty (and that my box 3 is missing a piece compared to other players' counts on BGG)

Maybe you can contact the company about this? They sometimes send replacement parts for that sort of thing.


I could, but the missing parts in this case are not particularly relevant - I'm hoping never to open box 8 legitimately, and with 37 of 38 interchangeable pieces from box 3, if I ever run into component limits on that, it's unlikely that one piece will make a difference (and I can always proxy it)

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6966
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:35 pm UTC

Has anyone tried the new Homeworld game?

Looks pretty promising,
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7224
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Zohar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:36 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:I need to form a group for Pandemic Legacy, I bought it because the legacy concept seems really neat, but I need to make a regular group or something.

Yes, you do, I think it provides the most meaningful and memorable experience with four regular players. Not to mention stuff gets both a bit convoluted and very specific to your own game, so it's easier with a regular group. It's really great.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

rmsgrey
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:58 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:
Xeio wrote:I need to form a group for Pandemic Legacy, I bought it because the legacy concept seems really neat, but I need to make a regular group or something.

Yes, you do, I think it provides the most meaningful and memorable experience with four regular players. Not to mention stuff gets both a bit convoluted and very specific to your own game, so it's easier with a regular group. It's really great.


I'd say you can easily go up to 6-7 people in your group (4 actually moving pawns around the board; the rest arguing strategy while the players make up their minds)

Having fewer players may make things easier - it's known that it does for regular Pandemic, but there's enough going on with the Legacy side of things that you may be better off having 3 special abilities each available 1/3 of the time (or 4 1/4) than 2 each active half the time. 4 players definitely offers more scope to have characters in play who specialise in pursuing one objective but are terrible at others for the months where you need to complete several objectives in order to win. So, yeah, the effect of player count is an open question.

Consistency is useful for getting the best out of the game - it's like watching an arc-based TV show - it's not the end of the world to miss an episode or two, but you'll need to be caught up in order to keep up when you come back.

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1617
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby ConMan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:53 pm UTC

For Pandemic Legacy, based on our current experience up to June (aka the month where we lost nearly all our research stations) I think it's definitely best if you have a regular group, although you can definitely survive being plus or minus one member occasionally. I think if I came in halfway on a campaign I'd be feeling a little out of my depth, and pretty confused by all of the stuff that had happened up to that point.

We have to play our last 6 months pretty quickly now, because one of our flatmates is moving next week and it would be a shame for her to miss out on our last ditch efforts to save the world.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
Koa
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 am UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Koa » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:52 am UTC

Threads like this seem to die after a while, but I do think they're a good idea.

Playing the new Homeworld. Skirmish mode is awful because of the poor AI. The most difficult AI cheats considerably and is still no challenge whatsoever. You can't even stack several cheating AI against you because you can't start the match with uneven teams. The campaign though, it's pretty good. The story is good in spite of the careful retcons. A few scripting annoyances -- I've lost in two separate missions from an enemy carrier (and accompanying army) spawning on top of mine during a cutscene. It's Homeworld alright.

Multiplayer is barely lifting off the ground. Region locking, yes; replays, no. There are still some networking issues. Only 5 maps. Small playerbase. I couldn't say that the game is worth the asking price.

rmsgrey
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:55 am UTC

Koa wrote:Threads like this seem to die after a while, but I do think they're a good idea.

Playing the new Homeworld. Skirmish mode is awful because of the poor AI. The most difficult AI cheats considerably and is still no challenge whatsoever. You can't even stack several cheating AI against you because you can't start the match with uneven teams. The campaign though, it's pretty good. The story is good in spite of the careful retcons. A few scripting annoyances -- I've lost in two separate missions from an enemy carrier (and accompanying army) spawning on top of mine during a cutscene. It's Homeworld alright.

Multiplayer is barely lifting off the ground. Region locking, yes; replays, no. There are still some networking issues. Only 5 maps. Small playerbase. I couldn't say that the game is worth the asking price.


That sounds remarkably like Total Biscuit's review of it (except he hadn't been able to try multiplayer since he had a review copy and was playing before release) - acceptable single-player; terrible skirmish AI; multiplayer waiting for more users.

User avatar
Koa
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:20 am UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Koa » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:45 am UTC

I agree with the overall notion of what TB said, disagree with some of the details, but sure. I wouldn't say that the multiplayer is waiting for more users though. Immediately after release is when games like this reach their playerbase peak. The multiplayer gameplay doesn't have anything special about it to continually interest players, in my opinion. The 5 maps of slightly varying deserts and the lack of replays would be a big hurdle for getting a great RTS off the ground, and DoK only feels like an okay RTS. They're supposedly working on patching those problems but I don't really think it's going to matter.

The characteristics that make DoK unique don't lend themselves to compelling multiplayer matches. The feeling of leading a ragtag expedition force, with vehicles that are designed more for surviving the desert than combating other vehicles, that lends itself to the campaign. As soon as you enter a multiplayer match that feeling disappears and it's a mediocre RTS with a height advantage.

Ideally, there would be some sort of positional mechanic other than just terrain. Positional damage and limited firing arcs could be a start, but then the player would need more control over how their units move (at least a reverse move button). The work they put into the "vehicle fantasy" is almost entirely aesthetic. The vehicles are fun to gawk over, but controlling them isn't so fun. Maneuvering to maintain a firing arc and avoid the opponent's could make it fun. Then there could be more interesting units... Since the Gaalsian are all about hovering vehicles that hit and run, they could have a long segmented vehicle that swoops in to fire a broadside then retreats past a dune. Anything other than rock paper scissors variants of Box-With-Gun. I don't think they were serious enough with creating the multiplayer component, and it's too late to inject the creativity and mechanical intrigue. In a sense It's like a $30 single player campaign pretending to also provide a multiplayer experience so that it can charge $50. I'm sure that's not what's happening but it does feel that way.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7224
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Zohar » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:46 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:For Pandemic Legacy, based on our current experience up to June (aka the month where we lost nearly all our research stations)

Oh man that's bad. We haven't had any burned down stations (we have three permanent stations, but tons of military bases) and I think we're doing pretty well - finished August and only lost three games total. Our other group of friends who's playing hasn't fared as well.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
New User
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:40 am UTC
Location: USA

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby New User » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:55 am UTC

OK here's my fleeting thought:

Either I don't understand random number generators, or Nintendo doesn't. Let me give a couple of examples. Sometimes I play Super Smash Bros. for hours with my friend. We've been getting together to play for about five years now, so I've played a lot of Smash Bros. Particularly I'm talking about Brawl and Wii U. Sometimes, after a night of playing, we will have seen the same assist trophies several times (maybe five times or more) while other assist trophies never occur. Same for pokemon that come from pokeballs. Then, on another night, there will be other assist trophies that become "regular" while others become very rare in the rotation. It seems to me that if the assist trophies and pokemon are supposed to be random, there would be a more even distribution of occurrences after playing for hours at a time.

I often use Peach as my fighter in Smash Bros., and she has a small chance to pluck a rare vegetable. It's supposed to be something like a 1/64 or 1/128 chance to pluck the rare and powerful ones. We almost always play 7-minute matches, so since the time span of the match is the same, the number of vegetables I pluck per match should be similar. In some matches, I might see four rare vegetables. Other times, I can play four matches in a row and see zero rare vegetables.

Similar things happen in Mario Kart 8. We recently played a 32-race game, and over the course of 32 races I probably got five "crazy 8" items. My friend got zero. And I know that more powerful items have a higher chance of appearing if you have a lower rank in the race, but for many or all of those crazy 8s, I was in 6th place or better. Sometimes I was in 2nd or 3rd place, and it's supposed to be very rare to get a powerful item if you have a high rank. Other times we can go for weeks at a time without seeing a single crazy 8 (at least not for any of the human players. I can't say if they are being given to the CPU players).

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby DaBigCheez » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:04 am UTC

True random number generation does tend to result in streaks fairly often, AIUI - especially when the thing being looked for is "anything occurring more often than one might expect" as opposed to "this particular thing which I specify in advance happening more often than I expect". Never, or rarely, seeing any noticeable streaks is a pretty common sign that there's a pseudo-RNG algorithm or streakbreaker in use.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

rmsgrey
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:33 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:True random number generation does tend to result in streaks fairly often, AIUI - especially when the thing being looked for is "anything occurring more often than one might expect" as opposed to "this particular thing which I specify in advance happening more often than I expect". Never, or rarely, seeing any noticeable streaks is a pretty common sign that there's a pseudo-RNG algorithm or streakbreaker in use.


Yeah, there's a classic classroom demonstration where you get a room full of students to each write down a fake string of 10 coin-toss results and then use a real coin (or some other sufficiently-random generator) to generate a string of 10 real results, and you can sort them with something like 95% accuracy just by saying that the longest streak comes from the real coin...

I'd have to do more work than I intend to right now to get the actual figure, but, if memory serves, getting a streak of 6 in a row is plausible when tossing a coin ten times.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5203
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:45 pm UTC

Yup. Humans are notoriously awful at evaluating randomness. If you rely on "intuition", you'll fail every time. You gotta work out the math because our intuition sucks.

The "Percent" chances in Fire Emblem for example, are no where close to their values. And casual Pokemon players grossly overestimate how often Hypnosis (60%) misses the opponent... and underestimate the chances of Stone Edge (80%) missing. At least in my experience.

The most notorious of them all is the "Birthday Paradox", which relates to how often you get repeats in a sequence of truly randomly chosen numbers. On the average (median definition of the word average), two people in a group of 23 people will share a birthday. Or to put it in "Pokeball in Smash4" terms...

If there are 365 random pokemon to come out of Pokeballs (or Assist Trophies), approximately 23-pokeballs need to be thrown before you get a repeat. The statistics come out to roughly the square-root of the total number of things. So if there are 100 Pokeballs, then the (rough estimate) is a repeat every 10 pokeballs thrown.

The key is "any repeat". If you choose a particular Pokemon (ie: Moltres repeating), people can intuitively understand that. It is very unlikely for Moltres to come out of a Pokeball twice in twenty throws or so. However, if your brain is looking for "any pokemon may repeat", this is an exponentially more likely situation. Almost certainly will some pokemon repeat, and by 20 throws, I'd expect some triple-repeat or quadruple repeat.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Obby » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:43 am UTC

I'm still on a Dark Souls kick, and still not enjoying 2 as much as I did 1. Though I did find a very good let's play of the first game where the guy goes very in-depth with lore using both in-game stuff (item descriptions, dialogues, etc.) and meta-game stuff (developer interviews, cut or modified content, etc.). It's extremely interesting, and really drives home the things I find better about 1 compared to 2. He's also doing one for the second game, so I'll probably start watching that soon as well.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6966
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:42 pm UTC

Code: Select all

X C O M 2 H Y P E
C O M 2 H Y P E X
O M 2 H Y P E X C
M 2 H Y P E X C O
2 H Y P E X C O M
H Y P E X C O M 2
Y P E X C O M 2 H
P E X C O M 2 H Y
E X C O M 2 H Y P
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby DaBigCheez » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:56 pm UTC

Obby wrote:I'm still on a Dark Souls kick, and still not enjoying 2 as much as I did 1. Though I did find a very good let's play of the first game where the guy goes very in-depth with lore using both in-game stuff (item descriptions, dialogues, etc.) and meta-game stuff (developer interviews, cut or modified content, etc.). It's extremely interesting, and really drives home the things I find better about 1 compared to 2. He's also doing one for the second game, so I'll probably start watching that soon as well.

Yeah - my general feeling is that Dark Souls II is better technically/mechanically (the controls feel a bit better, the lag isn't as bad, the UI seems more appropriate, etc.) but in terms of game design, world-building, and the overall *feel* of the game, it's just not as good, not as memorable, doesn't leave as much of an impact. (And I've seen multiple people comment on DSII's "oh look, another dude in armor" syndrome when it comes to the bosses, compared to DS1's.)
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Obby » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:51 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:Yeah - my general feeling is that Dark Souls II is better technically/mechanically (the controls feel a bit better, the lag isn't as bad, the UI seems more appropriate, etc.) but in terms of game design, world-building, and the overall *feel* of the game, it's just not as good, not as memorable, doesn't leave as much of an impact. (And I've seen multiple people comment on DSII's "oh look, another dude in armor" syndrome when it comes to the bosses, compared to DS1's.)

I actually just read something I found amusing on reddit where a guy said he went to go play through DS2 and made it all the way to the final boss before he realized he had already played the game. That's how memorable it was - not at all.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 25380
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:48 am UTC

You know, I don't recall most of the bosses except one.

Undead Chariot.

UNDEAD CHARIOT.

I refuse to believe someone could possibly forget UNDEAD CHARIOT.

Image

I mean, the name of the thing, sure. But the thing?

LOOK AT IT! UNDEAD CHARIOT!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7224
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Zohar » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:41 pm UTC

Sounds like Phantom Train to me.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Xanthir
My HERO!!!
Posts: 5157
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:49 am UTC
Location: The Googleplex
Contact:

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Xanthir » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:28 am UTC

Zohar wrote:Anyway I had an awesome run at game night yesterday - first we won two months straight of Pandemic Legacy in my regular group (July and August). I can't believe we're getting close to the end! It will be sad when it's over. We were very lucky during the setup phase, too.

You haven't had September happen yet. Oh god, September... The game definitely segments neatly into three 4-month chapters: Mid-April is when [REDACTED] shows up, and Mid-September (if you finish [REDACTED] immediately) is when [REDACTED] happens. Tomorrow I'll play October, and possibly November - my group typically gets two games in per night. About to finish!

If anyone else is thinking about playing or buying Pandemic:Legacy, Oh me yarm Oh DO IT. It's one of the greatest board-game experiences I've ever had, and we're not even being very successful! If you hate normal Pandemic, obvs, probably give it a pass, but one of our party doesn't like Pandemic much (to the point that he won't play it at all anymore) and he loves P:L. If you've never played Pandemic, don't worry, you can play several "vanilla" games with the initial components before you actually start the campaign, and it's almost exactly like vanilla Pandemic (only exception being the P:L Generalist replacing the vanilla Operations Expert).

Related, I tend to idly recast a lot of board-games into fantasy themes when I'm bored, and have an in-progress fantasy reskin of Pandemic: Legacy on my blog. (Don't be scared to click on it if you're not done with P:L yet, the beginning is just the initial "open the box for the first time" stuff, and the start of the campaign conversion is clearly marked and definitely more than a screenful down.) I'm still missing the last 3 months as I haven't played them yet, and I'd like to get through and do a full Total Conversion of *everything*. (That'll probably require me to buy a second copy so I can reskin the legacy deck, etc, but my wife and I are planning on doing that anyway, either for a 2p game, or a 4p with other friends.)
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Tyndmyr
Posts: 10119
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:23 pm UTC

You can also play a few games at the end before getting bored of it, likely. Sure, the board is fixed then, but...it's still usable.

12 games is a minimal campaign too. Could be 24, if you end up replaying all the months. We didn't do that, but we did replay maybe half of them. Honestly, I've bought enough board games that only got played a handful of times, that I'm just not fussed about a game eventually being 'used up'. On a per game basis, it still ends up being pretty economical, and the legacy mechanics are a barrel of fun.

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1617
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby ConMan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:21 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:You can also play a few games at the end before getting bored of it, likely. Sure, the board is fixed then, but...it's still usable.

Given the current state of our board, I'm not sure that it's going to be particularly usable in December. Atlanta is a smoking ruin, Essen and Jakarta have completely fallen, and frankly most of Europe is on its way to being a wasteland. But, you know, our Researcher and Scientist are a power team and only have a small chance of being lost in any particular game, so I guess that's nice.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

rmsgrey
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:06 pm UTC

So, my copy of Pandemic Legacy went through April, taking the win rate from 3-0 to 3-2 and more than tripling the amount of panic on the board (first game lost to runaway outbreaks; second game lost to cube exhaustion, barely preventing to outbreak chain from inflicting the first scar of the campaign). Earlier today, I played a mock third game for April (4 funding and all the endgame upgrades so far) and got a comfortable win - okay, only 3 cards left in the player deck, but that's because I postponed the final cure (of a disease with the second mutation, and with no threats on the board) for a couple of turns so I could eradicate a second disease and complete an extra objective. Two outbreaks the whole game, no scars, and no pressure from spoilery stuff either.

I'm starting to think that outbreaks in Lagos may be lucky - every game I've won, there's been an outbreak in Lagos and one other outbreak; both games I've lost, Lagos has had no outbreaks.


When it comes to partitioning the game into arcs, I can see the three arcs - Jan-Apr: defining the problem; May-Aug: investigating the problem; Sep-Dec: solving the problem - but I can also see 4 arcs: Jan-Mar: the problem revealing itself; Apr-Jun: escalation and continment; Jul-Sep: searching for answers; Oct-Dec: putting things right. January, April, July and October all introduce new major elements of story or game mechanics (okay, in fairness, October is mostly picking up from the September thing if you got to it immediately). November is definitely into the endgame - by the time you start playing November, you should have opened all the dossier doors and all the boxes (except possibly box 8), so the only change from November to December is in the cards that come out of the Legacy Deck for each month...

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1617
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby ConMan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:18 am UTC

So it looks like there are a few P:L players, care to continue the discussion here?
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6966
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:20 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:

Code: Select all

X C O M 2 H Y P E
C O M 2 H Y P E X
O M 2 H Y P E X C
M 2 H Y P E X C O
2 H Y P E X C O M
H Y P E X C O M 2
Y P E X C O M 2 H
P E X C O M 2 H Y
E X C O M 2 H Y P


It was justified. X-Com 2 is incredible!
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:26 am UTC
Location: The Northpole

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:24 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:Sounds like Phantom Train to me.

I hope it got suplex'd
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6966
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:33 pm UTC

Been playing Dark Souls for the first time ever. I'm maybe three bosses into the game.

I've gone from thinking I'm pretty bad at this game, to thinking I'm still pretty bad at this game but having an OP-as-fuck sword that makes that matter slightly less. But now a frog with bad breath permanently cut my HP in half and I don't even know what's going on.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Obby » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:59 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Been playing Dark Souls for the first time ever. I'm maybe three bosses into the game.

I've gone from thinking I'm pretty bad at this game, to thinking I'm still pretty bad at this game but having an OP-as-fuck sword that makes that matter slightly less. But now a frog with bad breath permanently cut my HP in half and I don't even know what's going on.

Don't upgrade the Drake Sword.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6966
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:09 pm UTC

Obby wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Been playing Dark Souls for the first time ever. I'm maybe three bosses into the game.

I've gone from thinking I'm pretty bad at this game, to thinking I'm still pretty bad at this game but having an OP-as-fuck sword that makes that matter slightly less. But now a frog with bad breath permanently cut my HP in half and I don't even know what's going on.

Don't upgrade the Drake Sword.


Oh, I had that. Now I have another sword that makes the Drake Sword look like a butter knife.

It dropped off one of them knight guys and I upgraded that twice. It killed the last boss I fought in three basic attacks :D :D :D
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby Obby » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:08 pm UTC

Oh the Black Knight Sword. Yeah I used that for a while. It's got a good moveset and does a truckload of damage. Eventually I ended up not using it because it just felt too OP to me, it made things too easy and I wanted to try a different moveset. Eventually I landed on Ricard's Rapier and Lucerne, switching back and forth depending on the enemy. Ricard's Rapier is really good if you have enough intelligence to cast Magic Weapon, and Lucerne is just really good overall.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6966
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:51 pm UTC

It only took like two days worth of attempts, but I finally beat O&S solo

Image

Holy hell that was an annoying boss fight. By the time I finally beat them, the run from the bonfire to the boss room was refined like a speedrun: Parry the first knight, roll past the second, dash to giants but walk down the steps, then dash and juke around the giants while dodging the arrows; finally enter boss room.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

rmsgrey
Posts: 2932
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:08 am UTC

Meanwhile, I've just finally beaten the Gaping Dragon (having lost my previous load of souls - and a stray humanity I'd picked up somewhere - to dying before retrieval on one unsuccessful attempt), and, for an encore, taken out the knight on top of the tower near the red dragon bridge (just a titanite drop) and the titanite demon near the Undead Parish blacksmith. Blight Town next stop, though I may swing by Firelink to see if I can advance any NPC plots or buy good stuff there.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 25380
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Gaming fleeting thoughts

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:05 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:It only took like two days worth of attempts, but I finally beat O&S solo

Image

Holy hell that was an annoying boss fight. By the time I finally beat them, the run from the bonfire to the boss room was refined like a speedrun: Parry the first knight, roll past the second, dash to giants but walk down the steps, then dash and juke around the giants while dodging the arrows; finally enter boss room.

Ah. So you're done with the prequel part and are ready to start the actual game.

I'm only sorta joking.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests