What game has caused you to utter the most profanity?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

rxninja

What game has caused you to utter the most profanity?

Postby rxninja » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:00 am UTC

I've played some challenging games, some frustrating games, and some games that just get damn competitive. What games have invoked the most swearing from you?

For me, the list includes Mario Kart (any incarnation) and Smash Bros, but it is absolutely unquestionably topped out with Contra: Shattered Solider on PS2. After three hours of trying to beat the same level, about 4/5 of everything that came out of my mouth was some form of vulgarity.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:38 am UTC

Doom 3. I just didn't get it. You run around, something shoot and you, and you spin around frantically, not seeing what the heck it is, and then you die.

Well, that's an exaggeration, but I didn't really get into it before I got distracted by Doom 1 and Doom 2 which were both on the same disc and seemed much more immersive :)

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:56 am UTC

Heroes of M & M 5. The bugs.
E.g.
Near end of a long level, had epic battle with equalish forces. Whittled them down, but then the comp starts casting summon elemental or something. So I thought, yeah, I can sit it out. But after many a round, I checked the opponents mana and it hadnt fucking moved! .The computer fucking cheated. Bug maybe, but still....

I HATE bugs that stop gameplay like that.

ndansmith

Postby ndansmith » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:14 am UTC

At the time I was too young to udder profanity, but Battle Toads for NES would be the unquestionable winner.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:18 am UTC

The goddamn fucking plane school/toy airplane levels in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. It took me forever to learn how to fly, and took me another lifetime to realize that on a helicopter the chain gun aims automatically while rockets don't.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:44 am UTC

Any Madden game on All-Madden mode. A linebacker covers my fastest wide receiver, the receiver gets a step, I pass it to him, the linebacker catches up and makes an interception.

platypus01

Postby platypus01 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:52 am UTC

i dont tend to utter profanity when on my own or while playing games, but most frustrating might be trying to play mgs3 on the hardest mode (whatever its called) without cheats. we (my friend and i, it was at her house) spent sooooooooo long trying to get past this one level. my not being used to the ps2 controller probably didnt help much.

also, one of the levels on swat 3. think it was the second to last or so. it was the sewers, and it was pretty damn impossible cause it was all a damn confusing maze. argh. never got passed it.....
bleh

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:57 am UTC

Minesweeper.

Motherfucking bombs cause me to swear out loud during tests in school :\
Games on Calculators ftw.

For the console variety, it's a strong tie between FinalFantasyXI and Mario Kart... or Goldeneye 64. But most likely FFXI, because all of the cursing that you'd like to do at other people at work you can do in the comfort of your own home, where they aren't within earshot.

ChooChoo

Postby ChooChoo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:24 am UTC

Rodan wrote:The goddamn fucking plane school/toy airplane levels in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. It took me forever to learn how to fly, and took me another lifetime to realize that on a helicopter the chain gun aims automatically while rockets don't.

QFT. Ugh.

Also Wind Waker. But mostly just the Floor Masters.

Not hard to beat, but if just one got you the whole room respawned and you were back at the start.

Victorkm

Postby Victorkm » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:27 am UTC

I broke a Gameboy when I was like 10 from the giant house level of Mario Land 2. I was bashing it against my head in frustration at the time.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:51 am UTC

WC3: TFT. Online play. The people on there are douches.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Yeahhhh, Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:00 am UTC

Any fighting game (Tekken, DOA, etc.). It's gota be possible to make a final boss fight that is challenging and not cheep as hell, but programmers are lazy, so they give the boss twice your health, moves that can take away 3/4th of your health in one blow, ridiculous priority, and a hit box so small you need a microscope to find it.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

rxninja

Postby rxninja » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:33 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:Any fighting game (Tekken, DOA, etc.). It's gota be possible to make a final boss fight that is challenging and not cheep as hell, but programmers are lazy, so they give the boss twice your health, moves that can take away 3/4th of your health in one blow, ridiculous priority, and a hit box so small you need a microscope to find it.

Oh, you mean Night Terror from Soul Calibur 3? You had to flawlessly go through every match prior to him AND pick the "right" path through the game just to get to him. I've only done it once and that's only because after that one time I swore I'd never try to do it again.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:37 am UTC

Pong. I shit you not. We had a joke pong tourney at a 50-man LAN once. Center, 200" projector, the main sound system, etc. The world *STOPPED* for this tourney. We had a bracket that had damned near everybody in the entire world in it.

I spent 20 minutes before the start teaching my then-gf how to play Pong.

4 staff members entered the tourney - since it was a joke, we didn't disqualify ourselves. They are - Rick (A big dude, a nuclear engineering major, and a serious game nerd), Brinker (A tall dude, at the time a physics major, and a TOTALLY BONKERS game nerd), myself, and my gf.

We *ALL* took out our first level competitors, and breezed clear through the ranks until the semifinals... All 4 semifinalists were staff members. At this point, everyone was having insane amounts of fun. Whole scene was just ABSURD.

Rick and I knocked the other 2 out. We then locked into an EPIC 20 minute pong match. It was truly a clash of the titans. There was posturing. There was tauting. There was profanity. There were endzone dances when we scored points.

In the end, Rick won. I awarded him his prize - a mug... Filled with RAM.... 30-pin SIMMs.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:42 am UTC

How can you get angry at Super Smash Brothers? D:

Anyway - any of those old games where you have like 1 pixel of leeway pissed me off a lot. Also Ikaruga.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:44 am UTC

Speaking for myself and everyone I've ever lived with....Mario Kart Double Dash
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

RockMuncher

Postby RockMuncher » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:55 am UTC

I almost never swear when playing video games... swearing is reserved for work type activities.

The only game I've ever really gone foul-mouthed about was God of War, in god mode. That game was so frustrating it made me want to bite the controller in half, berserker style. And now I'm working on the sequel.

I'm a glutton for punishment,

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:12 am UTC

Euchre. No, really. My family plays a lot of euchre, and we can get kinda bitter with each other after 5 or 6 losses.

The Cosmic Fool

Postby The Cosmic Fool » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:14 am UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:WC3: TFT. Online play. The people on there are douches.

Yeah. Except with me it's DotA.

Every death is usually; "Fucking Goddamnit Son of a Bitch Christ".

No matter what I do, I can't get better at that game.
"The future is dark, the present burdensome. Only the past, dead and buried, bears contemplation."

kaktus

Postby kaktus » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:31 am UTC

the jumping quests in maplestory.

firstly, never play maplestory. It's a waste of time. I was young and stupid.
Secondly, the man who designed the jumping quests is a sadistic bastard and if I ever meet him I will do something extremely nasty, probably involving violence and/or death.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:38 am UTC

Warning: There may be spoilers.

Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction. One time I was at my friends place, and we were having a LAN game. His brother was the host. Iwas my lvl 20 Barbarian, my mate was a lvl 20 Necromancer, his brother started a new Paladin. Me and my mate were in Lut Gholein, but I got bored, so I went back to help his brother clear the first act. I followed this guy around for 2 hours, saving him many times, killing all the hard monsters, and having him steal all the loot. I finally killed Andariel for him, and we went back to Lut Gholein, where my mate had just got us ready to kill Duriel. We went into the chamber, and it was bat-fuck hard, but we did it (and by we I mean me and my mate, while his brother just ran around). We picked up all the loot, and talked to the Angel, and went back to town. I identified all the stuff by Cain, but didn't look at it. I then went to the blacksmith woman, and sold some stuff. I hovered the mouse over one of the set items I picked up, some sort of armour. All I saw was "+1 to all Barabarian skill levels". Then the screen went black, and came up with YOUR HOST HAS LEFT THE GAME. I swore for a good minute, then felt like crying. It was a sad time.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

The Cosmic Fool

Postby The Cosmic Fool » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:00 am UTC

Ouch. Just ouch.

I've been there.
"The future is dark, the present burdensome. Only the past, dead and buried, bears contemplation."

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:06 am UTC

Monopoly. Honestly how can anyone truly like that game. Just, Fuck.
Give me the Game of Life any day though! :o (no, not really)
=]

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:53 am UTC

__Kit wrote:Monopoly. Honestly how can anyone truly like that game. Just, Fuck.
Give me the Game of Life any day though! :o (no, not really)

I forgot board games. Risk. Definitely Risk. Anytime a game lasts longer than 6 hours, you know it's gonna descend into fighting and swearing.

Also, once I killed Duriel (Diablo 2 again), and all I got for it was 550 gold and 2 healing potions. I swore.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Joseph

Postby Joseph » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:52 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:The goddamn fucking plane school/toy airplane levels in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.

This.

Also, In The Groove (I'm a green flag hag. "Oh boy, ANOTHER Great 15 steps from the end, ruining my Full Excellent Combo ASDLFKASDFLJFJASDF FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK"), Scrabble (on my cell phone), Monopoly whenever I play with my niece (she once passed my 3 houses each on Park Place and Boardwalk thirty. Times. In a row), and Hot Shots Golf Fore.

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

ndansmith wrote:At the time I was too young to udder profanity, but Battle Toads for NES would be the unquestionable winner.

Yes.

Especially the part with the speeders.

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:29 pm UTC

A online 'Worms' copy called gunbound. Mainly due to bugs and my occasionally bad reaction times. Im a trico pro on it, for anyone who has played.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

Most of the GTA/Mafia/Scarface/etc. type games. But Grand Theft Auto SanAndreas was the ultimate in foul language. Between the idiotic targeting (I'm being shot by three guys with uzis, so I'll target a prostitute a block away instead" and Carl's inability to enter the right car I have invented new and interesting language just to describe my feelings.

It tends to cause people to ask why the hell I play these games.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

User? What User?
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby User? What User? » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:51 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Speaking for myself and everyone I've ever lived with....Mario Kart Double Dash

QFE

Generally to cries of "Holy ****, I avoided the damn blue shell"
Yes it is indeed deep magic
Signature? What Signature?

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:54 pm UTC

Swordfish wrote:Any fighting game (Tekken, DOA, etc.). It's gota be possible to make a final boss fight that is challenging and not cheep as hell, but programmers are lazy, so they give the boss twice your health, moves that can take away 3/4th of your health in one blow, ridiculous priority, and a hit box so small you need a microscope to find it.

Yes! DOA... 4? is that what they're up to now? With the crazy robo ninja blue glowy lady at the end? I still haven't figured out any tactic that isn't pretty much button mashing to get through to the next bit.

Also: the dream sequence in Max Payne. I just kept on falling off the stupid trail of blood. And it seems pretty dumb to repeatedly die in your own dream. It also kinda ruins the atmosphere to play through the same bit 10 times...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:55 pm UTC

That bit is actually the reason I stopped playing Max Payne.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

Super Mario Strikers: Charged

You try playing the "strikers cup"

with a team comprised of Daisy, Boo, Toad, and Bones.

(yes i'm dumb, and it's my own fault, i have no shooting abilities on this team, but i don't feel like playing through the other cups with a new team)
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

guitar hero 2
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:34 pm UTC

that's a good one too, although i think GH3 with "Through the fire and the Flames" may top that'n.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:37 pm UTC

Smash Bros Melee.

I called my friend a mudblood. :oops:
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:34 pm UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:I called my friend a mudblood. :oops:

lol. Nice.
Less swearing (only because my parents were around), but more frustration was caused by this scenario in Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion:
Last Thieves guild quest. I've spent weeks in crazy-hard tunnels, being almost dead the entire time. I reach the last area with one weapon: the non-discardable knife you get from joining the Dark Brotherhood. Nothing else. Finally I reach the last thing I have to do: a chair. I have to sit in a chair. And wouldn't you know it? A GOD-FUCKING DAMNED BITCH-ASS MOTHERFUCKING SON OF A BASTARD GLITCH, that causes me to NOT BE ABLE TO SIT IN THE FUCKING CHAIR! Jesus fucking Christ it was annoying. I eventually moved to America and months later I finally played it again. I used a cheat to get to the chair from a previous save and this time it worked. I still haven't played it again.

rxninja

Postby rxninja » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

Oh man, I forgot about board games too. I once played a game of Risk where I was beating someone so soundly that he flipped the board over, threw whatever was in his hands, and stormed out of the room in a vichyssoise of violent verbosity. It was epic.

I'd have to second that on Monopoly. I hate that game with the fiery passion of a thousand exploding stars.

Munchkin, anyone? When you're about to win and somebody pulls a random card out of their ass that prevents you from doing so? I hate that.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:50 pm UTC

The Cosmic Fool wrote:
Twasbrillig wrote:WC3: TFT. Online play. The people on there are douches.

Yeah. Except with me it's DotA.

Every death is usually; "Fucking Goddamnit Son of a Bitch Christ".

No matter what I do, I can't get better at that game.

Since WC3 is all I play (recently), I curse when I'm tired and still playing. It makes no sense, but you've gotta gank the tard one last time before the end of the match...

Also, Civilization. You have your armies and fleets ready, all poised to strike - and then a power outage, glitch, etc. Reload to find out the last save was 20 turns ago.

When each turn takes an hour or more, you start crying. I have started so many new games because of that...

Saturn

Postby Saturn » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:59 pm UTC

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, specifically: Water Temple.

Go to hell, changing levels.

Return to “Gaming”