Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Numzane

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Numzane » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:00 pm UTC

I just had an awesome time as spy on Goldrush 1st cap. The entire enemy team went sniper except for 1 medic, just to see if they could. It didn't work and I got 11 backstabs within the first few minutes... I'm really liking the buff they gave spy.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:19 am UTC

I just had a really horrible game. I couldn't hit shit, because I was so used to the L4D control scheme. At least engineer is always easy to play...
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

GCM

Postby GCM » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Health packs are underused! Seriously, I've been seeing people running around healthpacks shouting medic!

If you know the location of healthpacks, certainly it's much easier to survive?
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:16 am UTC

Because:
Burning Pissed Off Medics > Stealing a Medic's Healthpack
Leaving a Medpack for critical damage > Taking a Healthpack when you have a scratch

Although we do hate general stupidity when people won't keep themselves alive for shit. That means they don't get healed, period.

Bullislander05

Postby Bullislander05 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Out of curiosity,

Is it possible to delete your stats for TF2? I played on an achievement server once and I'm thoroughly regretting it now. I want to see where I stand as a regular player. My only legitimate stats left are for the sniper, demo, scout, and soldier. I really want all of them to be back to normal. :|

Any clue how to do this?

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:15 am UTC

No way, from what I've heard. It used to be possible, and then the command was disabled.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:10 am UTC

I just got this recently... Oh so very awesome. Currently I like heavy the most, with soldier getting a pretty cool too.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

Punkrock Cowboy

Postby Punkrock Cowboy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:47 am UTC

Hey everybody, I recently got around to installing Orange Box on this sweet new computer that can actually play it. Haven't stopped playing Team Fortress 2 for a week. But I have a couple of questions, probably super-n00b questions but meh.

EDIT: Just answered all my own questions. Thanks for playing.

Anyway, going back to dying hard.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:17 am UTC

Punkrock Cowboy wrote:1) How do you get the new weapons (backburner, sandvich, kritzkrieg)? Does it have something to do with the weapon levels, and if so, how do you level up your weapons?
By getting enough achievements in the appropriate class. For example, check out the Milestones for the Heavy here.

Also, playing as a medic is surprisingly fun.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

Qoppa wrote:
Punkrock Cowboy wrote:1) How do you get the new weapons (backburner, sandvich, kritzkrieg)? Does it have something to do with the weapon levels, and if so, how do you level up your weapons?
By getting enough achievements in the appropriate class. For example, check out the Milestones for the Heavy here.

Pack up your Kritz and buddy up with a Deeeeemoman on Dustbowl-1 and head right over to the right-side gate (from your point of view on Red.) Pop the Kritz as soon as the gates open and have the Demoman start spamming nades and stickies in there. Very good chance you'll kill anyone not uber'd and force them to uber early. If you have a Pyro or two with a brain (and that means using the flamethrower and not that worthless sack of crap Backburner) you can halt the ubers with air bursts and completely throttle their initial momentum.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

benbw

Postby benbw » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

Some Asshole wrote:
Qoppa wrote:

Pack up your Kritz and buddy up with a Deeeeemoman on Dustbowl-1 and head right over to the right-side gate (from your point of view on Red.) Pop the Kritz as soon as the gates open and have the Demoman start spamming nades and stickies in there. Very good chance you'll kill anyone not uber'd and force them to uber early. If you have a Pyro or two with a brain (and that means using the flamethrower and not that worthless sack of crap Backburner) you can halt the ubers with air bursts and completely throttle their initial momentum.

I really disagree with the Backburner being crap. Outside of the beginning of the game, ubers can't be predicted, and pyros sort of suck at standing around and waiting for a medic + heavy to charge through. It's also a lot more skill-testing to have to sneak behind the enemy instead of just using W + M1. One last thing: backburner >>> axtinguisher for heavies.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

benbw wrote:I really disagree with the Backburner being crap. Outside of the beginning of the game, ubers can't be predicted, and pyros sort of suck at standing around and waiting for a medic + heavy to charge through. It's also a lot more skill-testing to have to sneak behind the enemy instead of just using W + M1. One last thing: backburner >>> axtinguisher for heavies.

A good pyro can reflect rockets and can protect engineers from spies and ubers. Airburst is so friggin powerful, the actual flame part is LESS useful IMHO. You can be a damn fine pyro with just the axe and airburst NEVER lighting a flame at all.

You say ubers are unpredictable and that's just wrong. Engineers dig in, you know they'll come after them with ubers, especially on innumerable choke points of virtually ALL maps. Airburst also acts as an explosive shield for an engineer trying to set up in the line of fire of a soldier or demo. Airburst isn't just for defense either. It disorients people.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

Airblast is for offense. Backburner is for defense. (Generally speaking, I've found.) If you treat a backburning pyro much like a spy, you're bound to climb to the top of the charts - know your places to hide / sneak behind people and then burn down five members of the team, then retreat (case in point - Dustbowl Stage 3, Cap 2. Simply go through the sewers and sneak up behind them until they start to build sentries, then you take a uber with you to burn down sentries and clean up everyone.) The best backburning pyros I've seen also play good spies, but they generally only play with a backburner on defense. Not to say you don't need to airblast stickies away, but with the ability to break down stickies it isn't as important since a engi can deal with some stickies by himself.

Airblast is neatly covered with mosc's post, although with a slight flame + airblast + axtinguisher = neat heavy kills with nary a scratch. Only if you're well practiced at circle strafing will you be able to kill a heavy with a backburner from full health. Being able to reflect rockets from a kritzed soldier will quickly make short work of the enemy team, with a little luck/skill. Both techniques are much harder to pull off than W+M1, but they both have their places.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:18 am UTC

GCM wrote:Health packs are underused! Seriously, I've been seeing people running around healthpacks shouting medic!

If you know the location of healthpacks, certainly it's much easier to survive?

Worst yet is when you have people full health calling for medics while standing around healthpacks.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:19 am UTC

I'm not a fan of the backburner, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it faceburns in the same way that a spy facestabs. Haven't done any tests on it or anything; it just seems to do more damage in general.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:03 am UTC

Overheals before battle, 'nuff said. Unless they're bored...

Figures they'd reuse code for backstabbing for the same purpose with backburning, although with my luck I can't pull off a decent backstab anyway.

benbw

Postby benbw » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:02 am UTC

Numzane wrote:I'm not a fan of the backburner, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it faceburns in the same way that a spy facestabs. Haven't done any tests on it or anything; it just seems to do more damage in general.

The hit zones seem to be way smaller on the burner, and I haven't noticed anything suspicious damage-wise.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:32 am UTC

On defense, your job, as a Pyro, is to spycheck. That means you need to be in the area of your Engineers pretty much at all times. You're also responsible for protecting sentries from stickies and to prevent that D+M combo from running up and wrecking everything.

Your job is not to kill shit.

If you absolutely, positively can't control your OOOH SHINY ADHD crap and do what you're supposed to be doing, switch classes and leave the role to someone more responsible.

The Pyro's role on offense is big on disruption, since people tend to get distracted when on fire and immediately try to find a Medic or medkit.

If your primary desire is to kill shit without regard for what your team needs, you're a douche. And you should probably be playing as a Heavy, Soldier, Demoman, or Sniper. Your personal score should never, ever come before the needs of your team. A Pyro with 50 points that protected his sentries to ensure the win is far better than a Pyro with 120 points that lost twenty dollars and my self respect for his team because he wasn't doing his job.

EDIT: Primary class roles.

Soldier - Kill shit. On defense, kill shit. Second toughest class; you need to be on the front lines.

Heavy - Kill shit and use your fat ass to provide a meatshield for your team; you should always be leading the charge. On defense, kill shit and use your bulk to block rockets and bullets from reaching sentries, medics, etc. Pair up with a Medic and leave the worthless Sandvich at home.

Demoman - Blow shit up. Work together with Medics and Spies to dismantle Engineer defenses. On defense, area denial. Use stickies to slow down and restrict enemy movement.

Scout - Medic and Demoman assassinations, scouting (duh.) Use your speed to avoid getting shot and use your mic to tell your team what those BLU shitbags are up to. Run flags. On defense, same thing - assassinations and scouting. If you're defending and there's more than two Scouts (assuming a 24 player server), switch classes. Get rid of Pyros in the area so the Spy has more room to work in.

Spy - Assassinations, working with Demomen to dismantle Engineer defenses, and scouting. If you don't have a mic, don't be a Spy. Same thing on Defense. If there are already two Spies on your team on either role, switch classes. Focus on Engineers, Medics, and Heavies; let the Scouts handle the Demomen and Pyros. Stay the hell away from Pyros.

Sniper - Kill shit, and scout. If you want to play Sniper, you should probably have a mic, but you can get away without one if your aim's really good. Prioritize Medics (a fully charged bodyshot will kill them if they aren't overhealed) and Heavies over other classes. Especially Medics. If there are already two Snipers, switch classes. I don't care how good your aim is.

Medic - Heal people. Heal people. Heal people. Heal people. Use your mic and watch your partner's back. Let them know what you're doing - if you're stopping to top off someone else, let them know before they run off into a clusterfuck thinking you've got their back. On offense, use your medigun; if you are the third Medic on the team, use a Kritz unless asked/told otherwise. If you're the fourth Medic, switch classes; you'll only rarely need more than three Medics for a full twelve-man team.

Engineer - Build shit, and build smart. On offense, you'll rarely need more than two Engineers and frequently only need one. On defense, you'll rarely need more than three dedicated Engineers; if you're the fourth, help the other Engineers get set up and then switch classes.

Pyro - Disruption. Set people on fire so that the rest of your team can pick them off as they try and find Medics, medkits, or water. In most cases, leave the Shotgun and home and bring your Flare Gun (learn how to aim it.) Throw the Backburner in the garbage heap, you're never gonna use it. Shove people out of the way of your ubers, push stickies out of the way for your advance, and watch your team's flank. Pair up with a Medic to cause mass disruption for your team. On defense, spycheck ruthlessly. If a Spy gets behind your lines and starts destroying your Engineers' shit, you failed. Shove enemy ubers out of the way so that they can't get close enough. Shove stickies off of your sentry guns and protect teammates from rockets.

Yeah, there's exceptions to all of that, but if you think you're one of them, you aren't. It's called TeamFortress for a reason; if you aren't gonna work for your team, leave and don't come back.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:18 am UTC

Sorry, I stopped reading after you started telling me how to play the game acting like a douche.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:08 am UTC

That's fine. It's also why my team will always win :)
Everyone wants a slice.™

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:10 am UTC

My objection wasn't to the content so much as the tone. Telling people that when they play the game they have to conform to your idea of playing is not cool.

As for the content, some of it is okay, the rest is wide generalisations or incomplete and debatable points.

For example scouts, pyros and spys often have opportunities to kill off most of an enemy strike force. Pyros are often much more effective than spys or scouts on defense when hiding in corners and popping out to kill or harass people, slowing their advance significantly. (The backburner can be useful for that) Yeah, thats not very helpful to the engineers but if someone's already helping them or you're killing the dangers before they get there it's not a huge problem. Pyros are also one of the best classes if not the best at killing soldiers and if they're stuck on a sentry that wont be happening. Theres no reason to say that they should protect the sentries any more than that a spy or scout should change class and do so.

Heavies also shouldn't lead the charge when it's much safer for smaller classes (if there are a couple of snipers)

The entire thing is obviously assuming full 24 player servers too, mostly with seperate attack and defense teams as opposed to CTF or arena.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:48 am UTC

Some Asshole wrote:That's fine. It's also why my team will always win :)

And my team will always have fun.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:18 am UTC

So will mine. As we crush your team. See how that works? Losing can be fun, but winning is almost invariably more fun.

And I'd say Pyros are actually pretty lousy against Soldiers; a good Soldier will just juggle the Pyro to death or be smart and keep his distance. I'd probably tap a Scout (Soldiers have a dangerous dead zone at mid range where their rockets take too long to reach and their shotgun loses its punch) or Sniper (Soldiers move slow when not rocketjumping.)

Spies are always useful, but their ability to take down more than one or two people at a time (typically an inattentive H+M pair) is pretty poor against a competent team that communicates well.

Arena is played wholly differently from CTF and normal assault and Payload maps. I personally find it more rewarding than any other gamemode simply because it demands so much from your team in order to consistently pull out a win - one person screwing around can easily doom your whole team.

This is assuming you're playing against an equally competent and organized team, though; the game's pretty damned boring if you aren't.
Everyone wants a slice.™

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:02 am UTC

I'm wondering where you play Some Asshole, so I can check out the type of environment that seems to follow your anecdotal evidence/observations, if you don't mind.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:14 am UTC

I somehow doubt that sitting on sentries all through the match is as fun as joining the fight even if it does sometimes mean you win. I have been in similar situations an won the game for my team but

And a good pyro won't be seen by the soldier until too late, while also having the ability to reflect rockets or engage from a distance preferably with the flare gun. It's situational, of course, but a scout can be killed by a couple of rockets that barely even hit while doing similar damage at most ranges, and the soldier is a decent sniper counter in that if the sniper can shoot them, they can shoot the sniper. Spies are good against soldiers who dont watch for them though, as you said they are slow. If they're rocket jumping enough to outrun you the revolver will do it.

I wouldn't say scouts are the best for taking down pyros either as in my experience pyros are often the greatest danger to scouts due to their extremely low health and the way you dont have to aim a flamethrower.

I also like arena best, but find that I get better faster playing other game modes, because I'm actually playing more.

Website

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:51 am UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:I'm wondering where you play Some Asshole, so I can check out the type of environment that seems to follow your anecdotal evidence/observations, if you don't mind.

You can find the server IPs at http://www.texasteamplayers.com. I won't directly post the IPs on an internet forum.

The Spy's revolver is actually extremely good... it hits for about 120-140 on a crit, and it's pretty damned accurate. Kritzing a Spy can be fun.

Soldiers are, by far, the best all-around class in the game, because they can fight at any range and strike a good middle ground in terms of speed versus durability. They're somewhat weak in that middle range I mentioned, but at close range they've got their shotgun, and at long range you can set up rocket salvos to pin people down; or just rocketjump to get closer. A very good Soldier will rocketjump away from the Pyro if he's caught with his pants down.

In a wide-open area, Scouts are - by far - the most lethal class in the game in the hands of a good player. They can take on literally pretty much any class and win. Pyros are very easy for experienced Scouts; pepper them with the pistol while evading the flamethrower, and when they switch to the shotgun (IF they have a shotgun) do a standard serpentine shotgun (well, scattergun in this case) dance of death until they try to flame you... then just go back to the pistol. A good Scout with room to move will never, ever get hit by the flamer and only rarely by the shotgun. Scouts are borderline overpowered in areas with room to move, but they're dogmeat in small, compact corridors (think the vents in ctf_turbine.) We've got Scouts on our servers that new players regularly accuse of hacking shortly before ragequitting; the shit they can pull off is nothing short of ridiculous.

And we don't have our Pyros do nothing but sit on sentries all game. They're assigned to that area, but the threat of Spy invasion isn't constant - either the Spies are dead (because they tried sapping the sentries) or they're off doing other things for their team (making Medics and Snipers paranoid.) A good strategy is one that allows plenty of freedom for adaptation; we just assign basic roles for the start of the game and go from there.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

Man, do you know what's fun about TF2?
Getting into a map with 4 of your friends, and a bunch of randoms, killing shit and winning. That's awesome.

I'll take your TF2 tactics with a grain of salt. Maybe you win all of your games, maybe you don't (how do I know?). I know that I enjoy playing the game the way I do, and will continue to do so until it's no longer fun.

Then again, I'm probably the person that you'd yell at, or kick from your server for being too bad to be on your team. That's fine. I get a kick out of laughing at people who do that. It still makes my day awesome.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

I agree with Jessica.

It's a game. You aren't playing for money. You are playing solely for the enjoyment you can derive from playing.

Here's how to tell if you have a problem in any online team-based game:
Do you kick legitimate players simply because they aren't conforming to roles you set/ aren't doing very well/ don't have mics?
Do you get angry when you lose?
Do you get angry at minor balancing and glitch fixing by the developer of the game you are playing?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, take a break. Maybe play something else, or just stop playing video games for a little while.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

Some Asshole wrote:So will mine. As we crush your team. See how that works?
I don't listen to you telling me that people who play ambush pyro (what the class is designed to do) are douchebags or read your mostly incomplete and poorly thought out class roles list, and somehow, magically, my team becomes incompetent. Gotcha.

Not that I care about winning, I play on all-chat servers.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

all chat is the best thing ever.
... I wish my microphone worked...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

An ubered pyro is also the best way to take out entrenched sentries due to the flamethrower's high dps. Well, if you are in running distance to them.

The thing is, different strategies fit different groups so I don't think we need to have the "My team has more fun" vs. "My team wins" contest here.

Also, don't forget that scouts are amazing for capturing. That's why they have high speed and low hp. The idea is that your teammates disable enemy defenses giving you ample time to get in capture and then get out. The low hp is to keep scout rushes for capturing because the scout counts as 2 people for capturing/ pushing the cart.

Honestly, I've seen enough teams completely full of crap that I don't mind if you use an unconventional strategy, at least you know that the gun points at the enemy and that it's a team game. Ex. I played Badwater Basin last night. On offense, we ended up with 4 snipers and 2 spies but almost no damage dealing combat classes. And on defense, we ended up with 4 spies and engies who happened to build their teleporter exits leading to behind the spawn. Assuming that you're going to lose the first 2 capture points from the beginning of the match is typically not a good strategy.

Sometimes though, when you have teams full of silliness, you end up with amusing situations. My team basically decided to go 90% spy. But we disguised ourselves at the beginning as normal classes from our team. So when the game started, we suddenly all cloaked and it was spy-mania. Didn't work of course but it was hilarious.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

Some Asshole, do you by any chance play in scrims/with people that play in scrims? Because that's what it sounds like, and most people here don't play with people of that caliber.

Unnecessary Server Pimpage: We've got alltalk enabled! And HLSS muted! And custom maps*! If you're bored check us out!
(*Not everyone enjoys custom maps, but there's no orange. We play interesting maps, like maps with a giant train-bomb you ride, lighthouse island arenas, and other fun stuff in addition to all Valve maps being up for nomination.)

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Reached the first heavy milestone and can now eat Sandviches! I'm getting pretty OK with heavy too. The last game I played had me in second place on the score board. Hoorah!

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

If you really want to be the leader of the scoreboard, play a Medic. If you play well, people won't yell at you for not helping the team and you get lots of points.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:09 am UTC

Medics will get you 2nd or 3rd but it's hard to get first with a medic. The true point whore class is sniper and everyone knows it. I've you've never seen a sniper on top round after round then you've just never seen a decent one.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:18 am UTC

Upsilon wrote:If you really want to be the leader of the scoreboard, play a Medic. If you play well, people won't yell at you for not helping the team and you get lots of points.

Damn right. If you're a proper medigun whore, you'll rack up points ridiculously fast. You get a point for achieving an uber or kritz, and another point for using it. I can't remember exactly how much HP you have to heal to get a point, but I think it's 100. And, of course, you get points for assists and the occasional ubersaw kill.

ArchangelShrike wrote:Some Asshole, do you by any chance play in scrims/with people that play in scrims? Because that's what it sounds like, and most people here don't play with people of that caliber.

Unnecessary Server Pimpage: We've got alltalk enabled! And HLSS muted! And custom maps*! If you're bored check us out!
(*Not everyone enjoys custom maps, but there's no orange. We play interesting maps, like maps with a giant train-bomb you ride, lighthouse island arenas, and other fun stuff in addition to all Valve maps being up for nomination.)

Yep. I play a lot of scrims and private pickup games (the resident clans for our servers just join the match server, pick teams, and go at it... it's about halfway between a normal pub and an organized scrim), because for me a lot of the fun in the game (and, really, most every game I play) comes from organizing and leading a team to victory. Of course, I'm not always team captain, because I've got a bit of a temper :twisted:

And you don't really need to worry about getting kicked... I'm not an admin. While I'm perfectly sure I could control the urge to kick fools immediately for not following the rules and being selfish pricks, our way isn't that way; more like warn them a couple times then ban them. I'd probably spend all my time slapping, burning, and slaying fellow admins, anyway.
Everyone wants a slice.™

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:25 am UTC

And so the mystery is solved, the difference in gameplay between pubbies and competitive players :D I don't do scrims, but I've played with enough and heard enough from those that do to know the difference.

Punkrock Cowboy

Postby Punkrock Cowboy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

Wow, seems Team Fortress is full of heated banter as much out of the game as it is in game. Plus, look at all that slang, I really am new to all this.

Which brings me to my next point, another hugely noobish question. How do I get to servers using only an IP address or servers that aren't just listed on the "find servers" screen?

Also, thanks Qoppa for the quick answer. I have since managed to find the TeamFortressWiki and have since answered a lot of my own stupid questions.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:35 pm UTC

Either enable the developer console and type "join ip.ip.ip.ip" or search using the server browser/add servers using the server browser.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:05 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:Either enable the developer console and type "join ip.ip.ip.ip:port" or search using the server browser/add servers using the server browser.

Fixed for now it actually works.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Return to “Gaming”