Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ParanoidDrone

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby ParanoidDrone » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

Normally I don't like alltalk servers because you can't effectively communicate without giving away your plans, but it has loads of potential for hilarity when you're a Spy.

*decloaks and hides in a corner*
"THAT PYRO'S A SPY!"
"Not anymore, bitches." *cloaks, runs off, and redisguises*

And then there was the time I ran up to a Soldier/Medic combo trying to act casual. The Medic's screaming at the Soldier that there's a Spy behind him, so I stab the Soldier and run off. The guy got chewed out for not reacting. XP
Insert witty phrase here.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

Even better is when you say "<person X on the other team> is a spy!" people often don't check who is saying what. You can cause a lot of hilarity like that.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

Even better is when the spy gets caught up in the general fun going around and talks while cloaked, giving away easy kills.

...and then the spy figures out what went wrong and tells the world what he did wrong while cloaked. Again :D

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:06 am UTC

I love all talk while spying. I like to make up silly songs "The stabbity song! Stabbity stabbity, stabbity stabbity, stabbity stabbity stab, hey!" while watching half the enemy figure out what's going half a second too late to stop me from stabbing a medic, heavy and soldier and disappearing. Also you get to hear your victims rage :D
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

CVSoul

Postby CVSoul » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

Since I never play Spy anymore, I don't know if alltalk is good or bad for me. I generally only like alltalk on achievement servers, since I do like talking and planning and collaboration, but... I can't find a server with teamwork anymore anyway. So I don't care.
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

jerdak

Postby jerdak » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:14 pm UTC

I know this thread has been dead for a few days but: Did anyone notice that the patch last night added in multi-core support for TF2? I guess they are going to slowly integrate the functionality so initially only a few functions are set to a different core. It was fun last night playing around and watching all 4 CPU charts show sizable usage. Not that I needed the boost, TF2 has already runs butter smooth.
"Real programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write it should be hard to read."

benbw

Postby benbw » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

For some reason I can't even play TF2 on low anymore, even though CoD4 works great on medium. Has anyone else had this problem?

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

I played it last night with no problems, but I think I forgot to enable multicore, so I doubt I'm a good baseline.

Also, I found a funny TF2 flash. (No nudity, but still NSFW.) Linky.

I'll let you watch it first.

I'm terribly sorry. I'm a bad person. I'll go sit in the corner now.

GCM

Postby GCM » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:18 am UTC

I love alltalk! Sometimes. It's hard to comm with your teammates, but there was this one time where I was stickying up an oblivious Sniper. And then I went "Hey, <insertnamehere>, hey man, look at me! Look to your right! I'm right here! Turn right!"

...BOOOOOM!!!

Fun times...

Anyway, updates in case anyone's interested. I've ditched the xkcd-TF2 and escapist TF2 event groups, and joined the ESG, as well as write for ubercharged now. =P Main server is still Axls TF2.

I REFUSE TO LET THIS THREAD DIE! >=D Although it seems you guys are doing a good job by yerselves.

EDIT: Still playing under "Secret Agent Clank!", if anyone wants to hit me up, although my current name is "Secret Guacamole Clank!" Don't ask.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

Good job on joining ESG. I want to, but a combination of laziness and being my own worst critic prevents me from applying.

Alltalk also lets you form friendly rivalries with players on the other team. I kept going after this one soldier who had to check his back literally every three seconds because of it. Said I made him "paranoid...like a drone." Hooray for puns.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:36 am UTC

I've been in ESG for a while, though I haven't been playing much lately... there's a goldmine of information in the member-only section of their forums.
All is well. We are not like the others.

GCM

Postby GCM » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:52 am UTC

Ishindri wrote:I've been in ESG for a while, though I haven't been playing much lately... there's a goldmine of information in the member-only section of their forums.

STFU...

XD
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:42 pm UTC

Valve's April fool's:
Spoiler:

A sneak preview of the next class update!
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Chaplain

Postby Chaplain » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:37 am UTC

Team Fortress 2 is pretty fun.

Confusing, and difficult, but fun.. I just got it yesterday in the Orange Box, I've been trying all the classes, but have been pretty content with the engineer and sniper classes.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2394

Jarate or no, it appears the next class pack really is the Sniper. Damn.
All is well. We are not like the others.

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

*prepares for Backstab feast*

aaron

Postby aaron » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:09 am UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:*prepares for Backstab feast*

haha, same. gonna be 4 or 5 snipers lined up in a row on most servers, it's going to be great.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:28 am UTC

aaron wrote:
ParanoidDrone wrote:*prepares for Backstab feast*

haha, same. gonna be 4 or 5 16 snipers lined up in a row on most servers, it's going to be great.

You want a good laugh on update day?
Spoiler:
Join a 24/7 2fort server.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:58 am UTC

*posting from inside TF2*

Man, this is awesome. :) But the spoiler tags don't work properly. :(

I have nothing useful to contribute at this moment.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:23 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:You want a good laugh on update day?
Join a 24/7 2fort server.

hehe, I fully intend to spend hours running up and down the battlements as a pyro. Although being a spy would be tempting... Normally I only use a spy if a particular player is dominating me, and then it's usually suicide, or if there's an engineer spam. Anyone got any spy tips?

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:39 am UTC

Ooh, ooh, pick me! (Apologies in advance if I sound patronizing at any point.)

-Stay out of sight as much as possible, even when disguised. This means cloaking as much as you can and breaking line of sight if you run out. Disguises hardly fool anyone anymore and everyone spychecks everyone, so uncloak only when you need to do your business or when you risk running out at an inopportune time if you don't.
-Using a friendly disguise during setup and when moving through your own territory prevents the enemy team from knowing about the presence of a Spy. Also, if you're spotted in a friendly disguise, no one ever suspects that you are actually a Spy, meaning that you can cloak as soon as you break line of sight and get away with impunity. (And maybe circle behind them for a few stabs.)
-In general, people don't look up, and they don't usually check the opposite side of doorways unless they're specifically looking for a Spy. Use height and hang out behind doors to make surprise kills. Note that enemies may look behind them after a bit and notice you behind said door, so if you're going to do this, stab them before they get too far.
-The instant you see an enemy with a teleporter glow, try to find said teleporter and destroy it. Target the entrance first, since the exit is usually in an Engineer nest. While he leaves to rebuild the entrance, you can sap the rest of his stuff for free.
-Do not underestimate the power or accuracy of the Revolver. With the Spy's new ability to read the nametags of enemies while disguised, you can identify targets at low health and snipe them from a distance. It's the third most accurate weapon in the game, behind the Sniper Rifle and Rocket Launcher. Using it while retreating tends to work better than flailing the Knife around, too.
-You will die. A lot. This is an occupational hazard of being a Spy and it can't be helped. You're squishy, you're a high priority target once your cover's blown, and you're usually behind enemy lines. Furthermore, simply getting in position will end in failure a disproportionate number of times. Do not let this discourage you.
-Badwater Basin is one of the best Spy maps due to it's fairly open main path, multiple side paths and hiding places, plenty of height advantage, and enough ammo crates to keep you cloaked indefinitely should you so choose. I highly recommend it.

EDIT: The surest sign that you're doing well as a Spy is when you notice someone you kill change class to Pyro. You know you're doing really well when you still backstab them and make them raegquaat. :P

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:48 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:Anyone got any spy tips?
In addition to ParanoidDrone's advice, I suggest you watch this tutorial video. You have to keep in mind that the spy is the hardest class so one needs lots of training to play him in a not-completely-suicidal way. Although, even if you're kind of a suicidal spy, if you insist enough, you'll get a few moments of glory.

I'd also like to expand on ParanoidDrone's teleporter point: That's not always good advice. Sometimes, especially when the enemy team is on the defence, you shouldn't destroy teleporters at all. Engineers put them in likely spy paths as a warning system so that they know if a spy is around. Do not be fooled. You can tell when it is so because in such cases the teleporters serve no real purpose for the enemy team (for example, the entrance and exit are very close to each other).

Edit: Also, don't forget to change the weapon you appear to be holding!
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:08 am UTC

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Two more things.

How does one change the weapon you appear to be holding?

And also, what do we think the sniper unlocks will be?

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:33 am UTC

• Weapon switching is done by pressing the "Last Disguise Used" button. This will change your "fake" weapon based on what weapon the spy has out. Holding out the revolver will change your "fake" weapon to that class's primary weapon (Scout Scattergun, Soldier Rocket Launcher... etc). Holding out the sapper will change your "fake" weapon to that class's secondary weapon (Scout Pistol, Soldier Shotgun... etc). Holding out the knife will change your "fake" weapon to that class's melee weapon (Scout Baseball Bat, Soldier Shovel... etc).
  • Weapon switching is instantaneous and does not emit any smoke or shimmers; it looks just as if the class had switched weapons. Use this to your advantage in further confuddling your foes!
  • You'll only be able to hold out the primary, secondary or melee weapons; the Engineer's PDA, Destruction Remote Control and Toolbox (right before placing a building) as well as the Spy's Disguise Kit and Sapper tool will not be available for you to use as your "fake" weapon. (Though, it's pretty rare to see these out on the field anyways, despite the persistence of the endangered Spy Crab species...).
  • You also won't be able to hold out any unlockable weapons, just the vanilla weapons for the classes.
[source]

Sniper unlocks... hm... Maybe they'll really include the jarate? :shock:

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

Learning to use the disguise properly is the hardest, and yet most rewarding thing you can do as a spy after mastering the basics.
It's not really something that can be taught though, you have to learn it yourself. I suggest that once you feel comfortable playing as spy, to start playing other classes for a little while and start looking out for spies on your team and your enemies team, and watching how other players react to them, try to recognize what you look for as 'spy like' behavior and question why you or other players might spy check one person but not another.
Also, when playing spy, if someone seems to have deliberately spy checked you while disguised, instead of just having been randomly flamed, ask them how they spotted you (this is a lot easier on servers with all chat) On servers with a friendly community, you can usually expect an honest answer (on the server I play on most, many players have stopped giving me honest answers, because they realize that far from being incredulous or indignant, I'm learning from my mistakes :P) even on normal pub servers, you may be surprised at how candid some people are willing to be about your mistakes if they think it'll make them look better.

A few hints and tricks to get you started:
Avoid strafing, most of the time, players other than spies don't strafe very often, it's a hard habit for a spy to break themselves of, but I've found that once you do it, you're a lot less likely to be spy-checked while disguised.

Avoid 'homing in' on single players. This is related to strafing, as strafing is a good way to catch up to a single player you're chasing to get a back stab, but homing in on someone's back is a dangerous game, if they turn around, or if another player shows up, your cover is instantly blown. far better to look for groups to blend into or try and ignore a single player all together, pretend like you're whatever class you're disguised as trying to get to the front, if you incidentally end up lined up for a backstab, so much the better.

Watch out for disguised enemy spies! Since the update, they can see you if you're cloaked and their reticule hits you, this is an easy way to have your cover blown unexpectedly so it's doubly important to learn how to spot disguised spies now.

Listen! I dunno if this was changed during a recent update, but I've noticed an increase in people citing sound as giving me away, footsteps without a source and the decloaking woosh can blow your cover at a critical moment.

Be Aware of the effect you're having on the enemy, different people on different teams react differently to the knowledge there's a spy about, if you're starting to get a team paranoid, you may want to change your tactics to capitalize on that, even without getting kills, cloaking and decloaking in view of your enemies can cause them to start chasing their own tails while you stand back in a corner and laugh, or make a quick circle and stab someone looking for you where you aren't.

If on the other hand, they start communicating better and getting organized, it might be time to try on a different class for a few minutes and come back when their guard is down a bit. Or, it may be a good time to lurk a bit and pick up on what they're doing to counter you so you can turn their strategy against them.

Finally, watch your fellow players and look out for any habits they may have, this can be a good way to pick up kills or avoid being spotted, if you notice someone always goes the same way out of spawn, you can ambush them easily, if you notice someone always spy checks at a certain time or place, then you can avoid being there and catch them either right before or right after. If they don't change their ways this can lead to some easy dominations. I got First blood on an arena map several times in a row the other day because an enemy pyro would always take the same route. There's also a player on one server I play on who spy checks behind himself very regularly, I can almost always get him by standing back when he does it and then running up behind him and getting a stab in.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

ParanoidDrone

Postby ParanoidDrone » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

Naurgul wrote:I'd also like to expand on ParanoidDrone's teleporter point: That's not always good advice. Sometimes, especially when the enemy team is on the defence, you shouldn't destroy teleporters at all. Engineers put them in likely spy paths as a warning system so that they know if a spy is around. Do not be fooled. You can tell when it is so because in such cases the teleporters serve no real purpose for the enemy team (for example, the entrance and exit are very close to each other).

Well, if the enemy has that glow around their feet, it means they used the tele, which in turn means that it's a useful one instead of a dummy. <_< Point taken.

DeLink

Postby DeLink » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:10 am UTC

Update:
Due to the hell of the new backpack/hat update, TF2 forums is becoming a hellhole. Think about 4chans trying to discuss politics.
As a famous researcher once said" F*** your theory"

"Rock is Overpowered, Paper is fine." - Scissors

"So listen up boy, or pornography starring your mother will be the second worst thing that happens to you today"- Spy

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:19 am UTC

Actually, I'd say that the whole Steam forums have been a hellhole for a while now.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:35 am UTC

So what's the point of allowing you to delete your own stuff FOREVER? I had a roommate/friend who would play my copy of Counter Strike Source from time to time, he had lots of fun teamkilling. When I found out about his teamkilling ways I had to explain to him numerous time and with my best serious voice that he shouldn't do being doing that, not only because it ruins other people's enjoyment, but also because it could get me permabanned from servers. If he saw a shiny 'delete forever' button I'm about 80% sure that he wouldn't be able to resist. Then I would get furious and make him pay me $20 for a new copy of the game, and he'd think I was acting ridiculous, and I'd get on my high horse about respecting other people's property and our friendship would be ruined forever.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:07 am UTC

It's a pretty strange decision. It actually reminds me of Diablo 2. In a FAQ, it said:
Storage space is limited in Diablo II both for performance and storage space issues and because the designers wanted players to make decisions as to which items to keep and which items must be thrown away or sold.

Which leads me to believe that the conspiracy theories about random item drops in TF2 may be pretty accurate. Still, requiring you to do a ton of difficult achievements and then give you the ability to lose that item forever is silly. I mean, if items were that disposable, maybe they shouldn't be that hard to get in the first place?

Tseng808

Team Fortress 2

Postby Tseng808 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

I know the orange box has been out for sometime now, but which console has the most players? as i am thinking about getting, but obviously want the one which will have the msot players.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

You would be a dumbass to get it for console, because Valve, as a company, makes PC games. The system requirements are very lax (Source is a very well refined engine), so if you have an Xbox, you probably also have a computer decent enough to play Orange Box. You also get timely patches and a better community.
<Cheese> I love you

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

*sigh* I believe headprogrammingczar meant to say...

"You want to get it on the PC. While you could get it on the console and those do have substantial playerbases, the majority of players are on the PC. And since that's what you're interested in...."
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:37 pm UTC

It's like you read my mind!

And yeah, I could have worded that better. I blame it on my having just came from N&A.
<Cheese> I love you

Tseng808

Postby Tseng808 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:32 am UTC

Well my laptop is decent, but for some reason it always has problems running games somethign to dow ith the GFX accelerator pretty much overheats something and switches the laptop off... :(

So it will have to be a console tbh :( which is a shame cause when i originally played TF2 i literally fell in love with it. and playing it within a huge community would be awesome.

so the big question is as an estimate.

more players on PS3 or 360?!

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:11 pm UTC

Pick the one that has more games you want to play. I would go with the PS3, but that's just because I want LBP.
<Cheese> I love you

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

DeLink wrote:Update:
Due to the hell of the new backpack/hat update, TF2 forums is becoming a hellhole. Think about 4chans trying to discuss politics.

that's a pretty great comparison actually. I wish those forums had better mods.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has the same problem I do with heavies. Whenever someone describes a heavy, the things they say are that he's slow, he has lots of health, and that he's good with a medic. The first two are fine, but the last part about the medic creates the false impression to newbies that a medic's best strategy is to stay on a heavy at all times. Soldiers are usually better medic buddies if the medic wants to stay healing one person, but the medic's supposed to be healing everyone who's hurt, not sitting there keeping a heavy overhealed.

I brought this up on the TF2 forums and got the standard response of "the game's fine. stop whining". maybe someone here will understand. the scout's pistol bothers me. the engineer gets 200 bullets, the medic gets plenty of needles, the sniper gets enough ammo for his SMG, but the scout only has like 4 clips in his pistol. I'd love to be able to use the pistol more. why does it have such little ammo?

Tseng808

Postby Tseng808 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

I have both a PS3 and a 360 though, i will see which is the cheapest one.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:55 pm UTC

krazykate wrote:...but the scout only has like 4 clips in his pistol. I'd love to be able to use the pistol more. why does it have such little ammo?

To force him to restock if he doesn't have good accuracy / a good sneak attack. With lots of ammo, the scout becomes the deadliest class in the game. With his speed he controls the encounter, you can't escape if he doesn't have a reason to retreat. He can stay at range all day and pick at everyone's health until they go down.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

soldier or demo w/kritzkrieg > heavy

Return to “Gaming”