Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Stellazira

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Stellazira » Fri May 06, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

I haven't played this game in months... and I have to say:

Who'd buy a virtual hat for $7? I mean, seriously now... :roll:

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri May 06, 2011 11:05 pm UTC

People who like the hat and have several dollars of disposable income they don't have anything else planned for?
Signatures are for chumps.

Awia

Postby Awia » Fri May 06, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

Stellazira wrote:I haven't played this game in months... and I have to say:

Who'd buy a virtual hat for $7? I mean, seriously now... :roll:
I don't think you've seen Teddy Roosebelt. Best Thing Ever.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat May 07, 2011 1:52 am UTC

Oh god, don't remind me about those. I know it's just a game and all, but someone on my server fell for a troll after dropping a random Teddy Roosebelt, and sold it for a scrap.

That said, they are pretty cute, if hard to notice.

I'm still waiting for paintable weapons, though.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Sat May 07, 2011 8:04 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:I'm still waiting for paintable weapons, though.

So much this.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun May 08, 2011 7:09 pm UTC

I'm going to go ahead and pimp my replay video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew53C7yiuHY
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon May 09, 2011 2:08 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:Sig'd.

Awesome.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue May 10, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

This replay update seems neat. Not very interesting for me, but I can bet some people are loving it.

Stellazira

Postby Stellazira » Sat May 14, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

I found a fish so I ran around hitting people with a fish because I thought it was funny. :lol: I killed a few people with it too. 8)

Rek

Postby Rek » Mon May 23, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

Words Win Wars

Stellazira

Postby Stellazira » Tue May 24, 2011 2:42 am UTC

Lots of Scatterguns? :?

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Tue May 24, 2011 5:52 am UTC

When it comes to the trading game, you set a goal and stick to it. Props to that fuck, that's an unusual or two's worth of name & description tags right there.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Tue May 24, 2011 8:44 am UTC

It might be a secret club. Donate a scatter gun, with your name tag, then the club has a permanent member list. ;)
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue May 24, 2011 9:48 am UTC

I only need one more refined metal to get Ol' Snaggletooth!

Huzzah!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Rek

Postby Rek » Wed May 25, 2011 2:57 am UTC

I had been planning on making a Snaggletooth, but by the time I got all that metal I didn't even like sniper anymore. So I made a Fez instead.
:D
Words Win Wars

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed May 25, 2011 2:34 pm UTC

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news and whatnot but you can trade for a fez/snaggle/other polycount hat for 3 refined. Useful information for the future, anyways.

Rek

Postby Rek » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:26 am UTC

Well, yeah. But the sense of accomplishment isn't nearly as good as making one yourself.
Words Win Wars

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

True that. Plus you get that badass "Crafted By" tag now, so you can be all like "Fuck yeah I made that!"

Rek

Postby Rek » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:34 am UTC

I'm liking double drop week. I found two hats today.
Words Win Wars

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

I've been seeing way more non-weapons drop this week than before, it makes me wonder if they didn't increase their rate too - I found gold paint, a desc tag, and an industrial festivizer in the same day, along with 9 weapons of course.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:38 am UTC

Has the game changed much in terms of balance?

Last time I played was just after the Engineer update and things seemed fine, but the sheer number of items and hats and other random crap infesting the game really turned me off. I used to play semi-competitively and really enjoyed it, but then I took a break and, well, it looks like TF2 hopped into the sack with WoW.

Do all of these new items and crap actually mean anything or is it all just cosmetic? Could I ignore all the hats and crafting and stuff and still be able to play normally, or is it pretty much required now?

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:42 am UTC

Everything's well balanced, the starting weapons are still extremely competitive.

If you play relatively frequently (a few hours a week) then the drops happen often enough that you can build up a good inventory in short order and craft or trade for pretty pretty much anything you want.

If you want to get more into the item game, I estimate that hitting the drop cap each week and trading/craft duplicates and unwanted items you should be able to almost completely outfit any class (except maybe scout with all those promo weapons, though most of them are useless so it doesn't matter) including polycount set hats within a month with plenty left over for your secondary classes (some classes like engie and medic don't really have that many items and can probably be outfitted much quicker or while fully equipping another class).

Though again, just normal play will get you more items than you'll ever use (there's no real gameplay reason to completely outfit a class except maybe for polycount set bonuses. I generally find myself using only a few small number of different combinations of items during normal play, even for my main classes.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:12 am UTC

Starting weapons are generally the best. Weapons that are considered "necessary" is a long post I made on the TF2 Reddit, so I'll just quote that:

I wrote:Generally not, and even for the ones you will need to get DON'T buy them, pop over to the Reddit Armory or to the Weapon Market thread and get them there. Most weapons go for two random other weapons apiece, some are rarer and go for 3 or 4; any more than that and they're just trying to make a profit.

There aren't many items that are straight up better than stock, and there are a few you're going to want to be able to switch to; almost all of these are achievement though. I'll list the ones you'll probably want as an option here -- If it's got -dashes- around it's name, that means it's achievement and to not bother trading for it because you can get it via achievement servers.

Scout Primary: N/A. Shortstop changes the playstyle up, but Scattergun's generally more useful.

Secondary: N/A

Melee: N/A. This doesn't actually really matter, you'll almost never use his melee anyways. -Sandman- is useful if you can land the stun though; but it's your first achievement item for scout anyways, and it's no fun getting oneshotted by rockets and grenades.

Soldier Primary: Black Box is generally easier to use for Soldier because it gives you health, but the standard Rocket Launcher will do you fine. Direct Hit is generally considered UP.

Secondary: N/A. Standard is definitely what you want here. Odds are you won't even live to use the banner weapons most of the time until you're pretty good at soldier. The Gunboats are useful when you're still learning to rocket jump, though.

Melee: Here's one of those exceptions. -The Equalizer- is generally considered straight-up better than the shovel because of the speed boost which is useful for escape when you don't have the health to rocket jump away. Also, the Pain Train is good to have on offense when you really need that extra cap speed.

Pyro

Primary: The -Backburner- and the Degreaser are both considered upgrades to the standard Flamethrower right now, but this owes to the fact that Pyro itself is an underpowered class right now. Backburner is your first achievement weapon, though, and it's definitely better for a learning Pyro.

Secondary: The -Flare Gun- is the only other secondary -- It's his second achievement weapon. You'll probably want this for Pyro, it's considered about equal with the Shotgun though. Once you get it, try it and see which one you prefer. You should almost always take Shotgun on water-heavy maps though.

Melee: The -Axtinguisher- is considered a straight upgrade to the axe, owing to the fact that you should never be in melee range of someone and have them not on fire. The Back Scratcher is considered pretty useful on Arena maps or when your team refuses to have a medic. Powerjack is mostly used for the 10% speed boost when used with the Attendant set, ever since its nerf.

Demoman

Primary: N/A. The Loch'n'Load is generally considered underpowered, but you can oneshot light classes with it.

Secondary: N/A. The -Chargin' Targe- gives him a different role more akin to the Pyro -- melee range chaos-inducing ambusher -- but it's not at all necessary for Demoman experience.

Melee: N/A. The -Eyelander- is what you're going to need with the Targe, but the vanilla Demoman is generally considered the best Demoman loadout.

Heavy Primary: N/A. You might pick up Brass Beast on defense, but it's not at all necessary.

Secondary: You're going to want the -Sandvich- as an option, especially if the enemy team is gunning for your Medic, but it's the first achievement weapon and the Shotgun will do you fine.

Melee: N/A. You basically won't need this. The Gloves of Running Urgently are helpful if you don't have an Engineer, but they're not a necessity.

Engineer

Primary: N/A. The Frontier Justice synergizes well with the Gunslinger, but the Shotgun is definitely the best choice.

Secondary: N/A. The Wrangler is useful and fun, but the Pistol is Engie's best survival tool, especially with the huge ammo cache.

Melee: You'll probably want to pick up the -Southern Hospitality- for detecting Spies. The Gunslinger is useful situationally, but most of the time an upgradeable sentry is more useful.

Medic

Primary: N/A. You'll rarely use this, and the Blutsauger's reduced health regeneration is typically not worth it. Crossbow is useful on Degrootkeep for obvious reasons.

Secondary: -Kritzkrieg- is definitely something you'll want as an option, but it's your first achievement weapon and most of the time you'll want standard übers.

Melee: You are going to want to use the -Übersaw- most of the time, or the Amputator otherwise (especially on Degrootkeep); but the differences aren't too terrible - Your secondary is what you're using 90% of the time anyways.

Sniper Primary: N/A. People will probably get mad at you for using the other two anyways, though good Huntsman snipers are a force to be reckoned with.

Secondary: N/A. Razorback is useless against any Spy who realizes he has a revolver. Darwin's Danger Shield is useless period. However, -Jarate- is helpful for tracking down spies you come across, and very useful for front-line huntsman snipers who want to be team-supportive.

Melee: Bushwhacka is always used in conjunction with Jarate -- You can twoshot Heavies with it, if you catch them by surprise. The -Tribalman's Shiv- is also useful for tracking spies. Really though, you can use any of them.

Spy

Primary: N/A. L'Etranger is generally UP, though useful with the Dead Ringer. -Ambassador- is good if you can make the headshots, but this takes practice. While you're learning spy, I'd use the Revolver.

Secondary: You're going to want both the -Cloak and Dagger- and the -Dead Ringer- as options, but they're both achievement. Each watch has it's own situational use, which you'll generally learn on your own as you play Spy. Be sure to practice with them all.

Melee: N/A. Vanilla knife is the best when learning. The Kunai is basically playing with the vanilla knife on Hard Mode, and Your Eternal Reward is very useful when you don't have to rely on disguises.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:42 am UTC

Is there like a Wowhead for all these new items so I can see what the fuck they actually DO?

I don't really see my gameplay changing (I main Medic) since Blutsauger and Ubersaw haven't changed. They buffed the Medic's natural regen but I prefer to regen with the Blutsauger since a good Medic isn't ALWAYS doing nothing but healing. Engineer might change a little bit, but I was pretty happy with basic Shotgun, the mini-turret glove, and my Pistol.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:03 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:Secondary: N/A. The Wrangler is useful and fun, but the Pistol is Engie's best survival tool, especially with the huge ammo cache.
Is that from the spray-and-pray school or something? Wrangler is way better at keeping your sentry alive, and that's really the #1 priority of the engineer.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

Beardhammer wrote:Is there like a Wowhead for all these new items so I can see what the fuck they actually DO?

I don't really see my gameplay changing (I main Medic) since Blutsauger and Ubersaw haven't changed. They buffed the Medic's natural regen but I prefer to regen with the Blutsauger since a good Medic isn't ALWAYS doing nothing but healing. Engineer might change a little bit, but I was pretty happy with basic Shotgun, the mini-turret glove, and my Pistol.

There's the official wiki

For Medic, the medieval set is worth looking into, the amputator (melee) has a taunt that heals everyone near you and the crossbow deal a significant amount of ranged damaged to enemies or ranged healing to allies. And together you get a massive boost to regen, greatly improving survivability.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

Plus it is really fun to shoot teammates for cures with the crossbow. :D

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

Awesome, I've pretty much stuck to all of those - best part of the Bushwacka is that you can have Jarate, so the one disadvantage (fire weakness) which barely affects you anyway (Pyro+Sniper=Dead Sniper) is nullified by its extinguishing effect.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

I agree with most of what BurningLed said, but I'll throw in my 2c on a few weapons.

Scout: Mad Milk is pretty cool. I wouldn't consider it a strict upgrade over the pistol but it's definitely worth trying. The Holy Mackerel > Bat if you like sillyness in your TF2.

Heavy: GRU > Fists IMO, since you're hardly every going to be melee'ing people in either case, but with the GRU you have the option of running urgently. Definitely worth getting if you play heavy.

Engi: The Jag is useful if you don't intend to use it offensively, and it's my usual choice.

Sniper: I disagree about Darwin's Danger Shield. +25 hp is definitely useful, but you can pretty much only use it when your team is always going to be around to protect you against pyros and scouts and suchlike.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:40 pm UTC

Numzane wrote:Engi: The Jag is useful if you don't intend to use it offensively, and it's my usual choice.
It's soooo much less useful vs spies though, and not switching weapons while killing sappers is usually critical if you don't want to lose any buildings. I used it for a while but 3 hits to kill a spy is just too much.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
BurningLed wrote:Secondary: N/A. The Wrangler is useful and fun, but the Pistol is Engie's best survival tool, especially with the huge ammo cache.
Is that from the spray-and-pray school or something? Wrangler is way better at keeping your sentry alive, and that's really the #1 priority of the engineer.

As an Engineer, I find I lose a lot of damage potential if I stay rooted to my buildings all the time, as people learn to avoid my sentries until they're down pretty quickly. Also, as a Spy main wrangling engineers are by far the easiest targets. Either they're not looking and are easy stab+saps, or they are and they're easy to sap+revolver. 3 seconds of downtime is just too much.

However, if you've got two engies and their sentries are covering each other, the Wrangler turns you into a fortress of death. A Pyro to cover you both and you're impenetrable. This requires coordination you're not likely to find in the average pub, unfortunately : / Great fun with friends though. Me and a friend like to join servers as Atlas and P-Body and be a Pyro-Engie duo. It's great.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:38 pm UTC

Wrangler is extremely useful against heavy ubers (unless they get really close). If you bring up the shield and switch quickly back to wrench you can often save it, even against soldiers or crappy demos that don't use sticks (or use them poorly).

Not to mention on most maps you're vulnerable to either long ronge spam or demos around corners. Wrangler can help with both (missles at the corner does more damage than people expect), along with being able to survive more than two stickies.

Granted, I'm not one to sit around my sentry unless it's under relatively constant attack. A nest is best protected proactively.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

I agree with both of you. Pistol is one of my best sources of damage for engie (especially when my clip is a crit-clip :D). But for turret survivability the wrangler is very important. I usually prefer to pistol at people and lure them into my sentry, so for me a pistol is what I use a lot. But on defense matches where I really need my turret to live, wrangler forever!

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:54 pm UTC

I played a game on dustbowl a while ago where I was on BLU attacking the last point of the last stage. The other team had 4 or 5 engis all with wranglers sitting behind the point. We had about 20 minutes for that point and we were barely able to cap it in time due a coordinated sapping spree + uber + sniping engis. It was pretty ridiculous.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Rek

Postby Rek » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:59 am UTC

Doesn't the Jag only save you something like a fraction of a second when setting up a sentry? :?
Words Win Wars

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:21 am UTC

I think it sets up a level 1 sentry as fast as a mini sentry, but you have to stand there and keep hitting it.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Rek

Postby Rek » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:14 am UTC

I'll stick with my Southern Hospitality 8)
Words Win Wars

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:54 am UTC

Rek wrote:I'll stick with my Southern Hospitality 8)

I'll probably stick with the gunslinger. I usually stick to Medic, but when I play Engineer I play very aggressively.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

True that. Gunslinger + Frontier Justice + Mad NInjaneer skillz with a 'z' = The most goddamn annoying spawncamper on the planet.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

I forgot how much I love the blutsauger. Pyros kept w+m1 at me as a medic on 2fort, so I just backup and destroy them while healing myself. Bahaha.

Though I really do love the crossbow for the sake of healing bolts to the face. :D

Return to “Gaming”