Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

BurningLed

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby BurningLed » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

I have never seen a description tag go that high in a legitimate trade :( Usually I see them go for a reclaimed, a little higher on pubs, but never so high as a refined.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:I have never seen a description tag go that high in a legitimate trade :( Usually I see them go for a reclaimed, a little higher on pubs, but never so high as a refined.

Damn... whatever. Maybe some sap'll buy it up if I talk about it enough :P
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

.....I've traded four of 'em for refined and keys.

then again, that was on my home server, not on a trade one where everyone is trying to fuck everyone else.....
Signatures are for chumps.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

Yeah,when you're with friends it's the value the items have to *you*, not to some invisible-hand controlled market full of scammers and lowballers.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

woo meet the medic might be on the way woooo!

...and then we wait four years for meet the pyro.

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:49 pm UTC

Huh, anyone have any ideas on the possibility TF2 might go F2P?

Seems like a good idea, everyone who wants the game has already bought it, but it still has a lot of life in it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06 ... e-to-play/

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:54 pm UTC

Robot_Raptor wrote:http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/20/might-team-fortress-2-be-going-free-to-play/

Since micro-transactions have come in, it could drag in a lot of new players willing to buy the packs to get weapons quickly, so it sounds like a decent idea.

although the trading-economy is gonna die with the number of alts popping up.

Rek

Postby Rek » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:14 am UTC

So there's a new update starting on the 23rd. :D Here's the blog post, and here is the page showing the new Spy and Heavy sets being released. A while back this set was leaked as probably going on so I'm really excited.

Also, Meet the Medic.
Words Win Wars

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:19 am UTC

The enforcer looks damn powerful. I wonder how it works with the dead ringer - normally that cloaks instantly, right? So it will either be a straight upgrade to the revolver or severely limit the chance of getting away unseen. The other weapons mostly look decent
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 am UTC

My guess is that it'll make it take longer to draw, so it's harder to get it out in time mid-battle.

Also i reallyreallyreallyreally want the Tomislav.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

I am excited about this update for all the obvious reasons. :D

That Arabian sniper pack says polycount at the top, so I think it was replaced in lieu of the Saharan spy? Or possibly they were going to do both but didn't.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

This all looks awesome! Can't wait for MtM!

In other news, I have one reclaimed metal left before I get Ol' Snaggletooth! Hooray!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

Tried this game (free week) as pyro on a random server.

They had tons of spies. And those spies practically threw themselves on my flamethrower (yes, your disguise of a blue scout running the wrong way and trying to get behind our heavy is cunning). Ended up with top score.

This is fun, especially ambushing a big enemy ball from behind and taunting their writhing corpses.
I do get slaughtered by demos and heavies, but that's probably lack of experience.

Any other fun "noob" class?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:10 pm UTC

Pyro is one of the best classes to start out with, imo. You can do fairly well just doing w+m1 but eventually you'll progress into more skillful moves like reflect-kills or reflect-jumps.
Engineer is another good class that is easy to play. It is pretty intuitive to know where good turret placements are, and to build ALL the buildings (yes, that includes a teleporter :evil: ). It gets more offensive based once you have a gunslinger (mini-sentries) since they are cheap and fast-building. Engie also has trick jumps that utilize the wrangler to get onto roofs and such, but I think pyro is one of the funnest classes to learn tricks with.

I see a lot of newbs play heavy and they tend to be quite bad. They'll be the heavies using long range minigun and just asking to get stabbed. Scout is a really fun class if you can dodge fairly well; Damage output can be very high, so you're like a glass cannon.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

The soldier is very fun, the 'hardest' things you'll have to learn are rocket jumping and timing your shots so enemies at range get hit by the explosion even if you can't get 'em with a rocket.

He's got a solid starting line up of weapons and does quite well in all roles, and once you have rocket jumping down he's the second most agile class.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

...so basically, all classes (except possibly Spy) are good for starters? :P

And Snipers are easy as well. Especially non-Huntsman, what you do at the start is only minorly different from what the pros do - just increases in skill and timing.

Also, ever since I got rid of my scout's Bonk for the stock pistol, I've been about 10 times better. Scout is one of the funnest classes for me now :D

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:36 pm UTC

Spy isn't bad for starters, but that really depends. If the enemy team is very spy-aware then a newb spy could be blown away constantly. However, spy isn't really all that tricky, you just wont have all the different cloaks off the bat. While vanilla-cloak isn't bad, deadringer is amazing for spy harassment.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:57 pm UTC

... spy and engineer are worst for newbies. Everything else is run-and-gun, so are pretty simple to pick up.

Engineer you need to have decent knowledge of the maps, good positioning, metal, ect. You can play it as a newb, but you will be a really bad engineer and your nests will probably die before you even know what's happening. Hell, I have the most time logged as engineer and even I don't engineer on maps I haven't played before.

Spy isn't necessarily bad for beginners, but it has a steeper learning curve because it plays fairly differently from the other classes (and a single good spy checker, pyro or not, can annihilate a newb spy).

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

Before the update that allowed engie to move his buildings I would agree with you. Now that we can move buildings its easier to learn where shit blows up, stagnates, or saves the day.

Rek

Postby Rek » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

Protip: Huntsman sniper is easy. Too easy. You can shoot the air above someone's shoulders and get a headshot. :P
Words Win Wars

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Spy isn't bad for starters, but that really depends. If the enemy team is very spy-aware then a newb spy could be blown away constantly. However, spy isn't really all that tricky, you just wont have all the different cloaks off the bat. While vanilla-cloak isn't bad, deadringer is amazing for spy harassment.

On the other hand, I was playing a server today where I was scouting, and two spies kept disguising as me and running at me -.-'

I remember having to play as one for ages before I finally got a couple of kills. I think my first was by disguising as a sniper, going where all the enemies sniped, and stabbing one of them. Then insta-disguising as a sniper again, before looking up and seeing a Medic.

I thought I was screwed, and then realised he was healing me. I just looked at him laughing for a few seconds, before going behind and backstabbing 8)

Now I just play Eternal Reward spy. It's incredibly irritating to get at first, but once you do... I've killed full team armies on my own. And it's hilarious when you go up behind a Heavy-Medic pair and then stab the medic - trick is to run off like you're firing at something, then come back for the heavy :P

On a related note, I got L'etranger today. I've been looking for that for ages, it's so much better than Ambassador for my playstyle.

Edit: Fix'd misquote

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

Yeah, the main issue I see with newb spy is you have to be shifting his loadout constantly to be effective. Enemies wise up to a strategy after it's used a couple of times, so you have to change your method of attack with every few kills. Only having access to one kind of cloak and vanilla disguises can be an issue. If you're planning on learning to Spy early, I would find some friends to loan/give you the Dead Ringer and CnD, or (and this is a good idea no matter when you learn spy) play lots of Medic, Sniper, and Engineer. These are spies' target classes, and by playing them you'll learn how they play and how other spies get the saps and stabs, and from that learn how to get your own saps and stabs. Protip when playing medic: Your pocket is already looking forward, so most of the time you don't really need to.

Also, I totally was part of the discussion for the +30% cloak on kill knife :D

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:Yeah, the main issue I see with newb spy is you have to be shifting his loadout constantly to be effective. Enemies wise up to a strategy after it's used a couple of times, so you have to change your method of attack with every few kills. Only having access to one kind of cloak and vanilla disguises can be an issue. If you're planning on learning to Spy early, I would find some friends to loan/give you the Dead Ringer and CnD, or (and this is a good idea no matter when you learn spy) play lots of Medic, Sniper, and Engineer. These are spies' target classes, and by playing them you'll learn how they play and how other spies get the saps and stabs, and from that learn how to get your own saps and stabs. Protip when playing medic: Your pocket is already looking forward, so most of the time you don't really need to.

Also, I totally was part of the discussion for the +30% cloak on kill knife :D

Most of the time, for me at least, the Heavy turns around to see what's going on. The first time I did that we kind of looked at each other until he ran off and got stabbed - but most of the time I get checked.

I play with Cloak and Dagger as well, by the way. It's so funny when a sniper knows you're there, and will swing his machete around like a crazy person, you just shifting your position a couple of times before he goes back to his spot and *STAB* XD

Protip - might seem pretty obvious, but when cloaked, NEVER go into a corner. It's tempting because it seems like the safest place, but there is no way of escape. Standing in the middle of a room lets you run around as much as you like.

Probably my best Spy moment ever was before I got Eternal, and there were two nesting sentries right next to each other. 'Screw it,' I thought, then disguised as Scout, knowing how stupid that was, and then ran around on the top of the sentries like a lunatic and sapped everything to death. It was awesome, in a totally not skilled at all way :D

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:37 am UTC

I tried engi. On the full defensive, I had like a 15/1 kill death ratio.

Definitely a good char for newbies :). Still have to learn about teleporter placement etc...

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:43 am UTC

Just started playing today. And I must ask: why don't more people play Demoman for Payload defense??

I keep ending up being the only one. PL defense seems like the best time to be a demoman, like, ever. Even on offense, if you can find a high place to rain explosives down from. People tend to bunch up in PL.

I find that I like stickies for almost every situation better than the regular launcher. The regular bombs take too long to explode.

And playing an Engineer when in CP when your team only has one point is wicked fun. I don't remember the map name, it's the one where the point right before the final point is on a large rocky spiral-high-point thing.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:50 am UTC

Badlands?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:34 am UTC

The hard method allows the Engineer to jump and carry his Sentry with him. You must fire the rockets, switch away from the Wrangler and pack-up the Sentry before the jump carries you out of range.

wat

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:02 am UTC

I am confused by the new update page 'Timbuk Tuesday'

What exactly is the disadvantage of the new demo items? The new shield and sword particularly are major upgrades to the chargin' targe and the other swords/axes/pan.

also, hidden scout update (click the crushed can at the bottom), looks like fun.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Rek

Postby Rek » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:21 am UTC

Well the shield has the same downside as the targe in that it replaces your 'nade launcher/sticky (sticky I would imagine) and the sword means if you're using a sticky/'nade launcher you can't get ammo refills.
Words Win Wars

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:55 am UTC

As strange as this sounds, I'm a little worried by the prospect that they are making straight upgrades to things.(like the new demo shield)
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:28 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:As strange as this sounds, I'm a little worried by the prospect that they are making straight upgrades to things.(like the new demo shield)

Yeah, that demo stuff looks stupidly broken. :?

Also, what the hell, xkcd. A new player asks for help and it takes 9 posts for someone to recommend playing medic? And then only to improve your Spying? :shock: The doctor is far and away the best class for noobs. You learn how to stay alive, you learn the map layout, you're always with company, and every second that you're alive you are helping your team.

I've only played once in the last 3 months, but is Medic really that broken? Do people just not play him any more?

Rek

Postby Rek » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:20 am UTC

I barely see medics. Then again, I don't have a large variety in servers I play.

On a related note, I've been attempting to sell a medic hat known as the Doctor's Sack, as I'm trying to stockpile metal for the new weapons. This is made more humorous by the fact that my SteamID is Doctor. But that's irrelevant. If any of you are willing to hand out roughly three and a half refined for a neat Medic hat, I'd be eternally grateful. Trader scum that I am. :)
Words Win Wars

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:49 am UTC

I love playing medic, and I would give you some metal for a hat (can't remember how much I actually have)

Larry wrote:The doctor is far and away the best class for noobs. You learn how to stay alive, you learn the map layout, you're always with company, and every second that you're alive you are helping your team.
I would second this. When I was a n00b (not just to TF2 but to fortress games in general) medic was the best choice for me - I could "shoot people better" and it didn't matter if my aim was complete fail.

Medic is still my preferred class, when it's required for the team. I really like, well, keeping everyone alive. Saddens me there's not yet a better alternate medic gun, though.

Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:54 am UTC

Rek wrote:I barely see medics. Then again, I don't have a large variety in servers I play.

:(
I'm starting to worry that this game is changing for the worse. The last time I played, the populated servers were: 1 full-rotation, 1 goldrush/badwater, 2 dustbowl insta-spawns, and about 20 2fort insta-spawns.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:04 am UTC

.....was that on the PS3 or xbox?
'Cause I usually find servers by the hundred on PC

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:57 am UTC

That sniper stuff looks good, I'm really looking forward to getting that rifle. I've already got a plan for it - find a heavy, hit him a couple of times with quick headshots, and then insta-kill everyone :P

Could become VERY overpowered. In fact, I've started realising that a perfect Sniper (as in, never misses/always gets headshots/shoots at exactly the right time for a kill) would be ridiculously OP. I mean... one-shotting every class has to be a little crazy...

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:13 am UTC

In fairness, that's more because the sniper is very good, rather than the rifle.

Although right now it DOES look like a straight upgrade to the normal rifle, so it could use a downside (such as you initially having a longer charge time)

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:14 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Tried this game (free week) as pyro on a random server.

They had tons of spies. And those spies practically threw themselves on my flamethrower (yes, your disguise of a blue scout running the wrong way and trying to get behind our heavy is cunning). Ended up with top score.

This is fun, especially ambushing a big enemy ball from behind and taunting their writhing corpses.
I do get slaughtered by demos and heavies, but that's probably lack of experience.

Any other fun "noob" class?

I'd say all classes are noob classes, really. They're all easy to pick up and play, though some have higher skill caps than others.

Pyro, Soldier, Engineer, and Heavy are all easy classes to pick up and play. Pyro just runs around and lights things on fire - once you get better, you'll want to learn how to time airblasts, flank, and do the puff n sting (ignite them, airblast them up and into a wall or corner, and hit them with the Axtinguisher). Soldier just runs around and shoots rockets at things - aim for the feet to maximize accuracy, and work on learning how to rocket jump (look down, fire, and jump at the same time; crouch-jump for increased altitude), and eventually how to control your direction and velocity while rocket jumping. Engineer is very, very simple to grasp - run around, put your buildings down, and stay nearby to keep them healthy - you'll eventually want to learn things like the dispenser jump (build a dispenser, jump on top of it, jump and plant your teleporter exit while jumping on a surface that's usually out of reach, then take your teleporter to the new vantage point), and better hiding places for your turret and buildings. Heavy is also very simple and easiest to get better at - get a feel for how long it takes to spin up and spin down, remember to always watch your back (and medic!), and after that it's really all about improving how well you track your victims.

Against Heavies, Pyro has to hit and run, unless he's injured. If the Heavy's at around half health, a puff n sting will drop him instantly. Otherwise you need to light him, pepper him with shotgun/flare gun hits from a distance, and then close in for the kill with a puff n sting when he's low enough. If he tries to stuff his face, run in and hack away. Once you learn the maps better, start using alternate routes to try and flank him to maximize damage. If he has a Medic, you can't take him alone - though if you're in a forced confrontation, try to kill the Medic, not the Heavy.

Demomen will typically fare well against a Pyro. There's not much you can do against a skilled Demoman, but you can really make life difficult for them by blasting away any stickies they shoot on doors, walls, or friendly buildings.

EDIT: And they still insist on making stupid items for Demoman. People just need to accept that Demoman never really needed anything new from the beginning.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:34 am UTC

He could use the gunboats or a variation of them, in my opinion.

(preferably to get rod of the made launcher, as I never use it really)

Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:07 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:.....was that on the PS3 or xbox?
'Cause I usually find servers by the hundred on PC

PC, West Australia. There's hundreds of servers, but they were the only populated ones.

I saw the demo shoes and was hoping for gunboats too. Ah well.

Return to “Gaming”