Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:22 am UTC

The enforcer is pretty amazing. It's a revolver for the spy, that I can actually hit things with and do a reasonable amount of damage!

Crafted the Big Earner as well, but haven't played with it yet, I doubt it'll get me to switch from the YER though.

Anyone willing to trade me a l'etranger when the item servers are more stable?
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:52 am UTC

I seem to have at least 3 L'etrangers so it's possible if I'm online at the right time - As long as I have enough left to craft an enforcer myself, I'll be happy :P

I really would prefer if they didn't break the loadout every bloody time, though.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Chosen++

Postby Chosen++ » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:08 am UTC

The game is now 'F2P'. This probably means that you can get it, for FREE! Get it, perhaps it's only for a couple of days! Awesome game!

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:09 am UTC

Thank's to Toeofdoom's generosity, I was able to craft a Cosa Nostra Cap (#104!) with metal I've been stockpiling since the double-drop week (recipe is the same as polycount set hats, I used the l'etranger to craft a spare enforcer and combined with four reclaimed). It may just be my new favorite hat in the game.

If anyone's interested, I've got some other hats (Bombing Run, Bonk Helm, Big Chief, Coupe Disaster, and a Modest Pile of Hat) And I'd like to reload on metal and try to craft the Made Man as well for the full set.
Last edited by EdgarJPublius on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:10 am UTC

Chosen++ wrote:The game is now 'F2P'. This probably means that you can get it, for FREE! Get it, perhaps it's only for a couple of days! Awesome game!

Free weekend starting early. :D
There were rumours that they are looking at a permanent F2P system. The only problem of this is, that hackers have an infinite resupply of accounts (assuming IP spoofing). :(

[edit while typing...]
WAIT? It is F2P forever? Wow. Um... Cool. Kinda. Nice move from Valve really. Even with the weird economy system, a free game is great from them. I just hope it does not devolve into a kind of FPS "Envoy" type game. :wink:
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:46 am UTC

I GOT THE FREAKING HAT!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Manial

Postby Manial » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

Rek wrote:I love the Tomislav + the Enforcer. Those are the only new items I've gotten so far though. Oh and apparently The Detonator can no longer flare jump. Goddammit Valve, give Pyros something :x
It kinda half-heartedly pushes the pyro a bit at the moment. I'm really sad that they nerfed the detonator, its practically useless, the radius of the explosion looks smaller than a Direct Hit rocket, and a direct hit with a flare only minicrits.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

I just realized... no mention has been made of the console versions of TF2. At all.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

Thats because the console versions are as good as dead.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I just realized... no mention has been made of the console versions of TF2. At all.

Well... first, they're dead, and second, no microtransaction in them. So F2P would make no sense.

Edit: I just remembered something:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... -Next-Year

The first was DotA 2, from what I remember. TF2 F2P is the second.

What's the third?

...fine, we all know what it is :P But we can at least pretend to be surprised XD
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:The first was DotA 2, from what I remember. TF2 F2P is the second.

What's the third?

...fine, we all know what it is :P But we can at least pretend to be surprised XD

Yeah man, I can't wait for L4D3. :wink:

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:30 pm UTC

I'm hoping it'll be Half Life 2 and the episodes myself, as hype for the near finished episode 3.
Signatures are for chumps.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:43 pm UTC

Wasn't there an episode 3 booth at E3 that nobody seemed to care about?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Wasn't there an episode 3 booth at E3 that nobody seemed to care about?

I'm relatively certain that any booth that contained even a snippet of Episode 3 would be overrun by fans.
Environ 20% plus chouette.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP_6LdRWSKg At 1:40. Fake, then? (Yes, the guy says Half-Life 3, but the sign says Half-Life 2 Episode 3.)

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:23 pm UTC

yea, three hints:
1. Freddiew is well known for his video fakery
2. all those helicopters (classic freddiew, but should still be a giveaway even if this hadn't been a freddiew video)
3. Valve wasn't at e3 this year at all.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP_6LdRWSKg At 1:40. Fake, then? (Yes, the guy says Half-Life 3, but the sign says Half-Life 2 Episode 3.)

Yeah, that's pretty obviously a joke :P

Cadiac

Postby Cadiac » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

Go me, guess who bought this game 6 days ago and now its f2p? :l

Meh, it was cheap and I like it. :D

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:37 pm UTC

That's good for you. Now you're allowed to trade without having to buy anything from the Mann Co. store. I didn't buy the game and now I can't trade, because the Mann Co. store is an example of a business model to which I usually refer as "bullshit", and I refuse to put any money into it.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:That's good for you. Now you're allowed to trade without having to buy anything from the Mann Co. store. I didn't buy the game and now I can't trade, because the Mann Co. store is an example of a business model to which I usually refer as "bullshit", and I refuse to put any money into it.
I gotta bite, I think the Man Co. Store is brilliant. Why the hate?

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

Meh, it's not that bad, you can buy $0.99 stamps that support community map makers, and most of the new weapons and hats were made by community members who take a cut of sales of those items.

edit: Augh... just need one more refined!
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:59 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:That's good for you. Now you're allowed to trade without having to buy anything from the Mann Co. store. I didn't buy the game and now I can't trade, because the Mann Co. store is an example of a business model to which I usually refer as "bullshit", and I refuse to put any money into it.

I heard that if you buy anything from the store you get all the drops and stuff like normal. So just buy whatever's cheapest.

EdgarJPublius wrote:Meh, it's not that bad, you can buy $0.99 stamps that support community map makers, and most of the new weapons and hats were made by community members who take a cut of sales of those items.

edit: Augh... just need one more refined!

What are you crafting?
http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/10/22042000/n ... 80da6e.jpg <--- Might as well be a screenshot of me :P

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

I crafted a Cosa Nostra Cap last night, and now I want to try for a Made Man. I've been trading my spare hats all day and have only gotten rid of one so far.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

Spare... Hats?

:shock:

Anyway, I've recently realised something incredible.

The only guy that can survive a fully-charged Sniper headshot is a Polycount Sniper.

They RULE at sniper wars :D

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

hats for classes I don't play, or for which I already have all the hats I want.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:

I heard that if you buy anything from the store you get all the drops and stuff like normal. So just buy whatever's cheapest.

No... I'm pretty sure you get nearly all of the drops even if you pay nothing. It's just that you can't receive items from trading.

Anyway, it's bullshit because it falls right in between "you can get the items through drops/crafting so you can't really complain" and "some drops are so rare and the blueprints are really complicated so why don't you just buy anyway". Seriously, changing blueprints? How do they get away with stuff like that without seriously pissing off their fans?

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:27 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote: How do they get away with stuff like that without seriously pissing off their fans?

Have you read the steam forums? o.O
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:40 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Anyway, it's bullshit because it falls right in between "you can get the items through drops/crafting so you can't really complain"
This is true, and I really don't see a problem with it.
Want to get an weapon to enhance the gameplay? Play a while, you'll either get it through crafting, achievements or trading, and that's a lot more options than you'll usually get from an FPS. (See: COD unlocks and the like), so I think it's a step in the right direction. If you're really desperate then you can buy it for three quid usually and write it off as DLC, using whatever copy you get later for crafting or trade.
Hats are supposed to be rare and are purely cosmetic, except for the polycount ones which are easier to obtain, so I see no problem with keeping them hard to get and expensive.
The Scyphozoa wrote:"some drops are so rare and the blueprints are really complicated so why don't you just buy anyway"
All drops besides hats are equal, and my only complaint is that you can find crates without being able to craft them into something, so they are usually useless pieces of crap unless you have a key, in which case they're usually overpriced items.
The Scyphozoa wrote:Seriously, changing blueprints?
...okay, you've lost me on this one, what are you talking about?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:15 am UTC

Isn't that what this is? Admittedly, I didn't know it only happened once, but still.

Well, I'm kind of basing my complaints on this VGcats strip plus my own distasteful experiences with LOTRO's F2P model. (Buy Turbine Points! Use them the to buy class skills, potions, and the ability to ride a horse of decent speed! No, no, you CAN get everything in the game for free, if you're willing to grind out thousands of kills for Turbine Points, but why not just buy the points?)

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:10 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:(Yes, the guy says Half-Life 3, but the sign says Half-Life 2 Episode 3.)
I thought it was confirmed there will be no Episode 3, they gave up on episodic content. It will only be HL3, 30 years from now.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:56 am UTC

Hah, that reminds me of a comment on the Meet the Medic video: "I can't wait to show my grandkids Meet the Pyro."

Also, the Medic performs surgery without gloves. :|

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:25 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Wasn't there an episode 3 booth at E3 that nobody seemed to care about?

Valve has abandoned the Episode concept. It's more likely Episode 3 will end up being Half-Life 3.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

So I just picked up a Strange Stickybomb Launcher for a Ze Goggles. It tracks your kills and announces to the server each time it levels up. Also, it hasn't for me but I've heard that once it levels up enough it starts firing glowing projectiles. That's apparently the only difference, though; no actual combat bonuses. Hopefully, because otherwise that would confirm all of my worst fears about F2P.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:hats for classes I don't play, or for which I already have all the hats I want.
But I only have one... :cry:
Beardhammer wrote:

Valve has abandoned the Episode concept. It's more likely Episode 3 will end up being Half-Life 3.

It wouldn't make any difference. Seriously, what difference would it make? It's still going to be a continuation of that cliffhanger at the end of Episode 2. I find it hard to argue that they would just forget about that story altogether - not to mention the Borealis in Portal 2.
BurningLed wrote:So I just picked up a Strange Stickybomb Launcher for a Ze Goggles. It tracks your kills and announces to the server each time it levels up. Also, it hasn't for me but I've heard that once it levels up enough it starts firing glowing projectiles. That's apparently the only difference, though; no actual combat bonuses. Hopefully, because otherwise that would confirm all of my worst fears about F2P.

Are you sure? Because if not, that could be one mighty awesome scam...

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:51 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:hats for classes I don't play, or for which I already have all the hats I want.

Would.... would you like one of my hats?

I bought a key for my trading alt to make it legit, and opened a crate with a strange sticky launcher in it. Since I don't really play demo I traded it for two refined and was able to craft myself a Made Man, so I don't need to trade my spare hats for metal anymore and I have all of the new spy items.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

Do you have the whole new spy set? If so, does it provide a bonus? Inquiring minds want to know.

Badly.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

I do and it doesn't.

I am slightly disappointed, but it does look super-snazzy.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:

Would.... would you like one of my hats?

I bought a key for my trading alt to make it legit, and opened a crate with a strange sticky launcher in it. Since I don't really play demo I traded it for two refined and was able to craft myself a Made Man, so I don't need to trade my spare hats for metal anymore and I have all of the new spy items.

Yes please.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:00 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I am slightly disappointed, but it does look super-snazzy.

Aww, I liked the set bonuses.
They coulda' been a good way to make the sets better when used together so they remained competitive without making the weapons OP when used with other ones.

(although the Sniper one is just ridiculous, a bonus to movement speed when scoped or something would'a been much more balanced)

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:02 am UTC

I feel as though if we made a group where you trade spare weps to an account made specifically for the purpose of crafting we could have so many more hats.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Return to “Gaming”