Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SirBryghtside

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:07 pm UTC

Derek wrote:I've got a vintage axtinguisher and natascha that I'll give you for three weapons. I'll give you any other weapon you're missing for 2 weapons (1 scrap) if I have a dup as well, but I don't have a spare machina, sorry.

Thanks! Got the Machina today anyway.

Just in case anyone's wondering, I've got a list of all the stuff I need:

Spoiler:
Back Scratcher
Boston Basher
Sharpened Volcano Fragment
Sun-On-A-Stick
Eviction Notice
Big Earner
Reserve Shooter
Market Gardener
Disciplinary Action
Diamondback
Short Circuit

...but I've been trading so much recently I only have 3 spare weps :(

Edit: Just got the Family Business. Hooray!
Last edited by SirBryghtside on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:20 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Back Scratcher
Reserve Shooter
Market Gardener
Disciplinary Action

These are the ones I can provide.

...but I've been trading so much recently I only have 4 spare weps :(

If it means acquiring weapons you didn't have before, it's worth it. You get 8 or 9 drops a week, so you won't be broke for long.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:09 am UTC

joins server with "saxton hale" in the name
everyone's dead and no one's respawning, lots of micspam
hangs out a few minutes
disconnects
You have found: the Black Box

So, thanks server whose rounds don't start!
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Rek

Postby Rek » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:36 am UTC

Saxton Hale is a mod where one player is selected to be Hale, a character from TF2 lore. He can perform super jumps, has HP relative to the number of players (generally in the thousands) and can kill most everyone (except for heavies and overhealed soldiers I believe) in one shot with his Shovel. The goal is for the rest of the server to defeat him.

In case you didn't know.
Words Win Wars

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:39 am UTC

Playing some hale reaffirms my opinion that payload is the only acceptable TF2 gametype (except race, which is a travesty of its own).

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:52 am UTC

I agree with you that Payload is best, but the others aren't so bad.

IMO: Payload > KOTH > A/D > PLR > SCP > CTF

And although payload is my favorite, it is also the easiest to get bored of. But that's where KOTH comes in.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:02 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:And although payload is my favorite, it is also the easiest to get bored of.
Yea, I only play TF2 nowadays when I'm at my parents for a weekend and just have my crummy laptop. But community maps are basically the savior of payload. FreeFrag has a pretty good rotation I think though the server is always busy.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:22 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I agree with you that Payload is best, but the others aren't so bad.

And although payload is my favorite, it is also the easiest to get bored of. But that's where KOTH comes in.

Eww.

5CP > KOTH > PLR > A/D > PL > CTF

Although there are exceptions of course (Gravelpit is as good as a 5CP, Steel is as good as a KOTH, and Pipeline is as bad as a CTF).

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:32 pm UTC

A/D = PL/R = CTF = KOTH = SH >>>>>>>>>> Arena
Signatures are for chumps.

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:46 pm UTC

Derek wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:I agree with you that Payload is best, but the others aren't so bad.

Eww.

5CP > KOTH > PLR > A/D > PL > CTF

Although there are exceptions of course (Gravelpit is as good as a 5CP, Steel is as good as a KOTH, and Pipeline is as bad as a CTF).

How dare you insult Pipeline? It's the best map ever :shock:
Environ 20% plus chouette.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

I pretty much exclusively play on the orange maps and get confused when people mention other maps.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:03 pm UTC

Orange map sniper battles <3
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

They're doubly awesome when you both have the Machina <3

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:A/D = PL/R = CTF = KOTH = SH >>>>>>>>>> Arena

Um... I pretty much exclusively play Arena :P
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:51 am UTC

is it possible to trade supply crates? (and if so, is anyone willing to give me something for a #20, #26 or #27? preferably a weapon.)
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:56 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I pretty much exclusively play on the orange maps and get confused when people mention other maps.

I love me some orange. Other maps get boring after awhile but not orange.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:00 am UTC

eculc wrote:is it possible to trade supply crates? (and if so, is anyone willing to give me something for a #20, #26 or #27? preferably a weapon.)

It's possible to trade them, but not that many people want them due to the scarcity of keys, so it can take a while to find a buyer.

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:19 am UTC

Box Boy wrote:A/D = PL/R = CTF = KOTH = SH >>>>>>>>>> Arena

lol, I completely forgot about arena. It's not that I don't like that idea of arena mode (its...ok), but every time I join an arena servers all the players are crap. Like, "I'm a battle medic and I'm never going to heal you in arena" crap. I eventually gave up trying to find a good arena server.

How dare you insult Pipeline? It's the best map ever

Not gonna lie, Pipeline is crap and it had me convinced that payload race was a terrible idea until Hightower and Nightfall (especially Nightfall) came out to convince me that payload race could be done right. So the problem with Pipeline is basically that on the first two stages once one team gets an advantage (ie, has pushed their cart into the enemy base) the other team can't push back. But this doesn't even matter, because the advantage you get on the last stage is meaningless. The two hills are enormous and it only takes a few seconds to lose all your progress. The "losing" team will get their cart to the bottom of the first hill before the "winning" team can get to the halfway landing, at which point everything done in the first two stages is meaningless and the teams are even again. They tried changing it so that the winning team would have their cart at the first landing, but that was too big of an advantage and had to be reverted. And then the entire design of two massive hills that will undo all your work is just awful anyways. So you play two lopsided, meaningless round, followed by one round to decide everything on a stage with a terribly designed and frustrating gimmick.

Nightfall has the same basic design as Pipeline, but it's done in such a way that all the problems with pipeline are fixed. It's easier to push back on the first two stages, and on the last stage the two hills are much smaller and together only make up half of the course, so that the winning team can start at the landing without having too big or too small of an advantage.

There is no reason to play Pipeline ever again, Nightfall is just better in every way.

I pretty much exclusively play on the orange maps and get confused when people mention other maps.

I'm not even touching this one.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:07 am UTC

Pipeline is annoying but I can't tolerate Nightfall. There's just something about it that makes it so I can never actually push the cart.

Hightower, though, is awesome.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:02 am UTC

Ugh, I hate Hightower. Seems like it either ends up with both carts stalled at the bottom of the sloped section outside the opponent's spawn for an interminable time, or with one team getting steamrolled at the start and then hardly touching their cart for the rest of the match. I don't mind Nightfall and Pipeline.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:33 am UTC

Really? I've found hightower to be the most balanced, there are 3 "stages" that each team can get to - The bottom of the slopes, the top of the slopes, and pushing up the tower. Nightfall's pretty okay but I don't like how spammy the middling part is. Pipeline is hilarious for YER spies but otherwise doesn't provide nearly enough routes around the cart and is not worth it.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

I'll freely admit that Pipeline has its share of problems, and it's not something I'd be recommending for serious competitive play, but I still think it's okay for shiggles. It helps that the rounds are quite short - when you get into a disadvantageous position at least you're not stuck there for twenty minutes.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

Is it just me or do a lot of people not know what the soldier's whip does? I go try to smack them for a speed boost and they get all edgy and start spy checking. I know melee spam looks like spy checking, but usually I hit the voice command for spy to indicate that.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

They probably know, it's just that getting cagey when someone starts spamming their melee at teamates is usually a good idea.

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:07 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:They probably know, it's just that getting cagey when someone starts spamming their melee at teamates is usually a good idea.

...No it's not. Disguised spies can't spam their melee. Now if they're just approaching you (not spamming melee), then being cautious is a good idea. But if they're spamming melee they can't be a spy.

It's also quite likely that if you see someone acting nervous when you approach them with the whip then they are a spy. The disciplinary action has led to many a spy being killed by a clueless enemy who was just looking for a speed boost.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:15 am UTC

No, what he means is that if someone is whacking random teammates with a melee then he must be spychecking, therefore there must be a spy around, which leads players to join the hapless soldier in "spychecking".
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:12 pm UTC

I see both situations usually. The people avoiding the whip are more annoying because I'm not sure if they're trolling me by pretending to be a spy.

Cadiac

Postby Cadiac » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
Eviction Notice
Short Circuit

I have both of those but I dont actually like them, could use some more "traditional" weapons since I'm still quite new to the game, so I could trade them to you.
Send me PM or something of the items you want to offer :)?

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:No, what he means is that if someone is whacking random teammates with a melee then he must be spychecking, therefore there must be a spy around, which leads players to join the hapless soldier in "spychecking".

is it just me, but i wouldn't usually use a soldier for a spy check. what happens when you find an actualy spy?

pyro, heavy, or the demo man are great spy checkers.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

Demoman? No. I find it really hard to hit anyone as a Demo who isn't charging at me offensively. I consider everyone except Demoman and a Sniper with a shield a good spy-checker. Shotgun works wonders. I love shooting a teammate and seeing a totally different body fly away.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

I like jarate spy-checking.

PEE ON ALL THE THINGS!

Hard to beat pyro though.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I like jarate spy-checking.

PEE ON ALL THE THINGS!

Hard to beat pyro though.

actually they labeled it wrong

HPMHPHPMHPHMPH!!!

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

Haha good point

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Haha good point

why is it your avatar reminds me of todays xkcd comic? XD

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:01 am UTC

Because the bear's chin is up, so it's kind of like Chin-up Bar? /guesswork

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:24 am UTC

Tomlidich wrote:
BurningLed wrote:No, what he means is that if someone is whacking random teammates with a melee then he must be spychecking, therefore there must be a spy around, which leads players to join the hapless soldier in "spychecking".

is it just me, but i wouldn't usually use a soldier for a spy check. what happens when you find an actualy spy?

Yell "Spy!" so all your teammates turn around and shoot them instead of getting stabbed in the back. Or hit them again and hope they die. Or pull out the rocket launcher and fire a rocket at their feet from close range. Or use the shotgun. I've killed plenty of spies as a soldier, and really, any class can perform an effective spy check.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:31 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:Really? I've found hightower to be the most balanced, there are 3 "stages" that each team can get to - The bottom of the slopes, the top of the slopes, and pushing up the tower. Nightfall's pretty okay but I don't like how spammy the middling part is. Pipeline is hilarious for YER spies but otherwise doesn't provide nearly enough routes around the cart and is not worth it.

Hightower is a pain because it's so open - is feels like it favours snipers and gunslinger engis a lot, while punishing demos, pyros and heavies.

In my own adventures I've discovered that enforcer + dead ringer is extremely effective.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:26 am UTC

Apparently a huge 1-year-Mannconomy-aniversary update has been pushed live before time, but folks managed to catch a glimpse of it and told us about the glory that is the big pile of content that is coming our way - http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/ks ... ma_update/
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Rek

Postby Rek » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:36 am UTC

Pyro Conscience looks amazing.

Also, Reserve Shooter for Pyro. YES. :D
Words Win Wars

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:41 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:
BurningLed wrote:Really? I've found hightower to be the most balanced, there are 3 "stages" that each team can get to - The bottom of the slopes, the top of the slopes, and pushing up the tower. Nightfall's pretty okay but I don't like how spammy the middling part is. Pipeline is hilarious for YER spies but otherwise doesn't provide nearly enough routes around the cart and is not worth it.

Hightower is a pain because it's so open - is feels like it favours snipers and gunslinger engis a lot, while punishing demos, pyros and heavies.

In my own adventures I've discovered that enforcer + dead ringer is extremely effective.

It is a pretty good map for gunslinger, but I think it's actually a rather bad map for snipers. There aren't many long sight lines and there is only one really good place to snipe from. Heavy and demo both do fine on it (they are both very versatile classes), and it's actually a great map for pyro, since you can camp around the corner at the bottom of the hill and push people off the cliff. This trick actually makes it nearly impossible to push up the hill from the corner at the bottom, forcing you to push from the top down.

Also, Reserve Shooter for Pyro. YES.

I really hope they don't add this to the main game. It pretty much puts the best parts of both the flaregun (90+ combo damage) and the shotgun (reliable hitscan) in one weapon. The pyro is of course built around combos, but right now you at least have to light your opponent on fire, then often airblast him, before finishing him. With the reserve shooter all the pyro has to do is airblast and whip out the reserve shooter to land two 100+ mini-crit meatshots on you. No fire necessary. That's just wrong in so many ways. It also means there isn't really any need for the axtinguisher anymore, so you can run the gas jockey set for a speed boost.

Return to “Gaming”