Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SirBryghtside

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:49 am UTC

Great, just when I get nearly all the weapons, they add a new update :(

I literally have 3 left to get (minus reskins and jumpers)...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

Derek wrote:
Toeofdoom wrote:
BurningLed wrote:Really? I've found hightower to be the most balanced, there are 3 "stages" that each team can get to - The bottom of the slopes, the top of the slopes, and pushing up the tower. Nightfall's pretty okay but I don't like how spammy the middling part is. Pipeline is hilarious for YER spies but otherwise doesn't provide nearly enough routes around the cart and is not worth it.

Hightower is a pain because it's so open - is feels like it favours snipers and gunslinger engis a lot, while punishing demos, pyros and heavies.

In my own adventures I've discovered that enforcer + dead ringer is extremely effective.

It is a pretty good map for gunslinger, but I think it's actually a rather bad map for snipers. There aren't many long sight lines and there is only one really good place to snipe from. Heavy and demo both do fine on it (they are both very versatile classes), and it's actually a great map for pyro, since you can camp around the corner at the bottom of the hill and push people off the cliff. This trick actually makes it nearly impossible to push up the hill from the corner at the bottom, forcing you to push from the top down.
Yeah, pyros are good around that area, but... well, they're too good at the cliff, and not good enough nearly everywhere else. I suppose you're right about snipers not having many positions and it is pretty easy for a scout or soli to go around killing them wherever they happen to be. Anyway, I still feel like it's less fun than pipeline largely because it's so open, even if pipeline does have all the issues with the first rounds not really mattering.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:29 pm UTC

Besides that, it's REALLY easy for pyro to cut people off at the fat healthpack in the middle of those two spots, and the tower itself is a great spot for pyros to camp (effectively denying control of the map to the enemy team, since they can't attack from the vantage point the tower provides). Also, pyro is amazing when you're pushing the cart up to the tower at the last stage, they can reflect all manner of nasty projectiles headed towards your push team.

Singed, a guy who loves Pyro and loves Hightower.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

I hope that typo was intentional.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

It wasn't, but thank you for pointing it out to me, because that's quite possibly the best typo I've ever made and I'm going to leave it that way.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:57 am UTC

Your subconscious is telling you to burn things.

Also, I'm kind of excited about the potential -50hp on tomislav. Not sure how I feel about the backburner though. On one hand I dislike using the backburner, but I know pyro isn't exactly the most mobile class for flanks. Maybe if they made the detonator fart a little beefier, so we could actually jump somewhere!

If pyro is getting a reserve shooter shotgun I will be super excited. I recently started using mine on solly and I love it ever so much!

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:30 am UTC

I'm not convinced it's necessary to nerf the Backburner. It seems like the Degreaser/Axtinguisher combo is just as common, if not more so, and kills only marginally slower. Also the Degreaser would combo well with the Reserve Shooter if that is added, making it even more powerful.

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

Also, I'm kind of excited about the potential -50hp on tomislav.

I don't think it's the right change. The Tomislav is supposed to be an ambush weapon right? So any change should preserve it's effectiveness in ambushes, while nerfing it in head-to-head fights. I think this could be done by either increasing the spread so it's mid to long range DPS is reduced, or by reducing it's ammo capacity, so that you would run out of ammo in mid to long range engagements, but would be able to kill your opponent and collect his ammo in an ambush.

EmptySet wrote:I'm not convinced it's necessary to nerf the Backburner.

It's absolutely not, but Valve will do anything to try to stop W+M1.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

I think I would prefer increased spread over the minus HP. I'm just tired of seeing tomislav everywhere :x

Rek

Postby Rek » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:02 pm UTC

Except that W+M1 isn't even a problem :x (Silly Valve)

Also,
Pyro:
--- September 29, 2011 ---
Pyro:
Flamethrower:
-Damage increased 10%

Backburner:
-Removed +10% damage bonus

Degreaser:
-Added -10% damage
-Removed -25% burn damage

Flamethrower buff?
Yes.
Words Win Wars

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:33 am UTC

Rek wrote:

Except that W+M1 isn't even a problem :x (Silly Valve)

Also,
Pyro:
--- September 29, 2011 ---
Pyro:
Flamethrower:
-Damage increased 10%

Backburner:
-Removed +10% damage bonus

Degreaser:
-Added -10% damage
-Removed -25% burn damage

Flamethrower buff?
Yes.

Significantly, note that the stats are relative to the base weapon. So when they say "Backburner: Removed +10% damage bonus", this doesn't actually change the stats of the weapon, because the base weapon (the Flamethrower) was given the 10% damage bonus. This also means that the Degreaser isn't actually getting nerfed, it's just not receiving the base weapon buff.

This is actually a pretty good change overall. The backburner remains untouched, the flamethrower gets a bit of a buff so it might kind or sort of have a role, and the degreaser gets a miniscule buff (the -25% burn damage never mattered much anyways).

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:31 am UTC

Derek wrote:
Rek wrote:Flamethrower buff?
Yes.

Significantly, note that the stats are relative to the base weapon. So when they say "Backburner: Removed +10% damage bonus", this doesn't actually change the stats of the weapon, because the base weapon (the Flamethrower) was given the 10% damage bonus. This also means that the Degreaser isn't actually getting nerfed, it's just not receiving the base weapon buff.

This is actually a pretty good change overall. The backburner remains untouched, the flamethrower gets a bit of a buff so it might kind or sort of have a role, and the degreaser gets a miniscule buff (the -25% burn damage never mattered much anyways).

Oh, that's... not quite as bad as I thought, then. It will actually weaken the Degreaser relative to the standard flamethrower - the -25% burn damage was almost irrelevant anyways.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

So now flamethrowers are as powerful as they used to be? Interesting.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

Aw, man! I was using Flare Gun and Axetinguisher, and the 10% on the Backburner was my only advantage against enemy pyros.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Aw, man! I was using Flare Gun and Axetinguisher, and the 10% on the Backburner was my only advantage against enemy pyros.
I always hated backburner pyros for this reason. Now my standard flamethrower shall dominate all pyro!

Unless they have shotgun I guess.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

Generally I find pyro duels are rarely decided by the flamethrower you have - How you strafe around the other pyro matters much more. I've won 2v1 pyro flame battles where I started with 50 HP and a Degreaser; and I've lost battles where I had a Backburner and he had 30 HP.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

Wrong. Pyro battles are decided on who went with Flare Gun and who went with Shotty.

And if they both picked the same, it's whoever runs away first who loses.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

Unless, of course, you manage to get behind them with the backburner.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Wrong. Pyro battles are decided on who went with Flare Gun and who went with Shotty.

And if they both picked the same, it's whoever runs away first who loses.

That automatically assumes we both took flare - Otherwise, shotgun user wins, else, it's a shotgun duel (with maybe flame to finish the other off while they reload).

Actually, shotgun duels are decided by flamethrower about half the time too - Whoever took the backburner loses because they can't afford to juggle the other pyro while shotgunning. Assuming one pyro gets the drop on the other, in a fair fight you probably can't juggle them.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

It'll change if we get the reserve shooter. Airborn mini-crits please and thank you.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

Feels weird having all the weapons... there are all these loadouts that I've always wanted to try, but end up sucking when I actually use them :/

There are still a few weapons I just haven't ever used, I should probably try them out. Also, I get to stockpile weapons for the first time in years, so that's cool. Planning on trading them all away for 2 random weapons each, and then another 2 for those, and then another 2 for those... capitalism rules :P

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:30 am UTC

Anyone got an axetinguisher or degreaser? Been meaning to try out that for a long while.
List of non-vintage things I have extras of:

Spoiler:
Chargin' Targe
pain train
flare gun
concheror
backburner
bonk!
scoutsmans skullcutter
equalizer

I also have some extra vintage weapons, if no-one has an extra regular axetinguisher or degreaser.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:39 am UTC

Rath, as someone who's recently gotten all of the weapons, I have some advice for you.

Type in 'trade' to the server search bar.

I promise you that less than 5 seconds after you type 'Buying Axtinguisher/Degreaser', you'll get 3 offers. Give them 2 random weapons for each one, and you'll win TF2.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:50 am UTC

That works, I guess. Thanks!

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:57 am UTC

But yeah, D&A is pretty much the Pyro tactic. It plays so completely differently to all the other loadouts that it's insane.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:58 am UTC

Sadly I am awful at it.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:09 pm UTC

Just got a level 89 Towering Pillar of Hats (crafted by Saxton Hale(Does this stay the same forever? Please tell me it does.)) for 1.66 refined when I was trying to craft it anyway.
:D
Signatures are for chumps.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:22 am UTC

I welcome you to the towering hat club, and deem you no longer poor and irish.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:42 am UTC

Well, he's still Irish.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:23 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:But yeah, D&A is pretty much the Pyro tactic. It plays so completely differently to all the other loadouts that it's insane.

eh, i never really found much use for that combo. i mainly use the pyro as a suicide unit to drop into an enemies fortified position and light everyone on fire, and cause a panic. makes it easier to get in if they really got an area locked down.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Ah, so you play as w+m1 pyro. When you learn how to axtinguish you will do significantly more damage.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Ah, so you play as w+m1 pyro. When you learn how to axtinguish you will do significantly more damage.
Support pyro > axe pyro. I'll be busy de-flect/sap/spy-ing while you play with your silly axe.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

You shouldn't be doing specifically any of those. My pyro experience tells me there's definitely room for rage pyro, combat pyro, and support pyro in a single match. Engie has a spy problem? Stick around, keep those pesky spies and rockets away. Heavy-medic incoming? Sneak around and axtinguish the fuck out of that. 5 enemies all around and you're just about fucked? TROOOOGDOOOOOOR!

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:23 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Support pyro > axe pyro. I'll be busy de-flect/sap/spy-ing while you play with your silly axe.

How are any of those excluded by D&A? Apart from sapkilling, obviously, but that'd involve the shame of equipping the homewrecker :P

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Support pyro > axe pyro. I'll be busy de-flect/sap/spy-ing while you play with your silly axe.

Where did I say anything bad about support pyro? Pretty sure I just said that when an w+m1 pyro learns how to axtinguish they will do more damage. It's a lot faster to axtinguish people than try to burn them to death.

Personally I play with gas jocky set because I'm in love with the speed boost. Though I'm not sure why using an axe would make it so a pyro can't deflect or spy check lol

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

Yeah, the set does look pretty sexy. Too bad I don't have the right hat...

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

It's nice being able to chase down spies a lot easier. The worst part was the initial transition though. I kept trying to puff'n'sting but the powerjack does not work that way! Now I burn, blow, shoot and sting.

Needless to say I'm really hoping for a reserve shooter for pyro.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:36 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:

Where did I say anything bad about support pyro? Pretty sure I just said that when an w+m1 pyro learns how to axtinguish they will do more damage. It's a lot faster to axtinguish people than try to burn them to death.

Personally I play with gas jocky set because I'm in love with the speed boost. Though I'm not sure why using an axe would make it so a pyro can't deflect or spy check lol

its not neccesarily about burning them to death, its more of just causing general panic when everyone is on fire from a pyro nobody expected to show up. then thats when all the other units swoop in and take advantage of the now burning and near death people.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:14 am UTC

If the enemy panics because of a w+m1 pyro then the push that comes after you would have been sufficient alone.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:07 am UTC

I think he was referring to the 'being on fire' bit. Which is true - not just panic, but legit panic. Because there's a good chance they're going to die.

Return to “Gaming”