Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Durinthal

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Durinthal » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

I was wondering about that. Neat.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

This is a terrible joke and I apologize.

22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

guyy

Postby guyy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

...Sorry.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

:P
tf2strafeleft.jpg
tf2strafeleft.jpg (142.51 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

hestia

Postby hestia » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:27 am UTC

A highly important historical event... or just hilarious.

NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

guyy

Postby guyy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:48 am UTC

What about more recent history?

*DEAD* U.S.A.: Oh me yarm HAX

And we can't forget science.

ScienTizt65: lol, unit conversion fail

[Admin]GOD: LHC was BANNED for cheating.

raptor.fortress

Postby raptor.fortress » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:22 am UTC

Ahem.

I'm really sorry, that was terrible.
Attachments
Mah%20sentry.png
Mah%20sentry.png (4.94 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
- Ernest Hemingway.

raptor.fortress

Postby raptor.fortress » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:22 am UTC

doublepost.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
- Ernest Hemingway.

Ratio

Postby Ratio » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

Small warning: This one is really bad taste:

Spoiler:

Edt: Oops, someone did this one already, the image hadn't fully loaded for me.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:46 am UTC

Hehe, how funny would it be if this happened?
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

guyy

Postby guyy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:29 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Hehe, how funny would it be if this happened?

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

Read though the tread, I'm seeing a lot of 2fort hate, am I the only person who likes 2fort?
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

Awia wrote:Read though the tread, I'm seeing a lot of 2fort hate, am I the only person who likes 2fort?

No.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

I don't hate 2fort, but I like variety. Moving from tropical island with sub + robot(tc_meridian) to unfinished skyscraper(cp_Vertigo) to Amsterdam(cp_amsterdam) to Italian town(ctf_Avantiville)? Or 24/7 same tactics 2fort, where the faces change, but nothing else? Same snipers in same position, same practiced rocket/sticky jumps, turn corner-flame sentry-uber-kill heavy-lob grenades-grab intel-pass to scout-cap.

2fort is boring after the nth +1 time. Also the people that jump on specifically to snipe on 2fort then leave afterwards, because that's all they know how to do are irritating. As some one said earlier, that's not being good at playing TF2, that's being good at sniping on 2fort. The game is vast, we won't bite much when you try out new classes/maps.

But I have the same complaints on every other multiplayer game I frequent where the ecosystem is established around one mode/map/etc. Don't listen to me, I enjoy new experiences. Including when you splat me with rockets from that corner, I never knew that could happen. Now to try it out on you...

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

I liked 2 fort about 8 years ago, but now its time for me to move on. Its like "oh wow CS-Source is out, FINALLY! Time to get on de_dust and do nothing else."

I'll play on the same basketball court my whole life but I rarely treat videogames as E-sports, rather, I consider TF2 as Looney Tunes and refuse to watch the same "episode" more than once a day. But hey some people do and thats fine, sports are sports.

I think another example is Super Smash Bros. Melee. My friends at college would do nothing but hyrule castle and never switch characters. I "ask" for a random map refuse to play without choosing a random character.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

There's nothing wrong with 2Fort, it's just that it gets boring after playing it more than one or two games. So I don't play those 24-hour 2Fort servers.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

I don't dislike 2fort, but it certainly isn't my favorite. The thing is, my general style of play could be described as "destroy whatever needs to be destroyed." So, with soldier as my favorite class, I always go after the guy/sentry preventing my team from advancing or anyone that has the audacity to advance against my team. But with 2fort, my aggressive style doesn't work so well. I can't capture the enemy intelligence, and guarding it as an engineer etc. gets pretty boring pretty quickly. I think the payload level is my favorite, but I haven't played in a while1.

P.S. While I'm thinking about it (and drunk enough to ask), does anyone know how I'm doing mic-wise? I think the sound test said that I wasn't maxing out sound, but I wasn't really sure whether or not I was doing an effective job of communicating.

1My latency seems to have calmed down for the most part (it stopped spiking to 2000), so I might be able to make the next organized game.2

2I just ran out of booze. Like, within the hour. Since I've been eating fried polenta for the past week, it's unlikely that I'll buy anymore.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

I just played TF2 for an hour or two on orange_x3. Man I forgot how much I love this game. Got Firewall and Sentry gunner too.

Also, cornered Demoman on the top of the tower + Axtinguisher = Exponential awesome.

On the 2fort love/hate:
Haven't played it much. I prefer open spaces. Pipes are not open spaces.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

2Fort: Not a fan. It's the most boring map, imo, because engis just set up somewhere and snipers snipe and nothing else happens. There's little variety, from my experiences.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

I can't handle 24/7 of anything either. I change classes about four times a game too. It keeps things interesting.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:55 pm UTC

I can play the same class again and again if we have a good team, where good team usually equals winning. We have people that like to play x class, and they usually go that class. But if people decide to try something new or want a break from a class, the rest of the team will reorganize in order to compensate for changes. But when it's 2fort, it usually comes down to a double uber to break in everytime and get the intel, then get out. 2fort has been played so much that the working strategies have generally floated to the top on what to do, how to win and either you have a team that knows exactly what to do, or a team that doesn't. Both are frustrating to one team, it depends if its yours or theirs.

Unless both teams don't know what to do, then it's time to leave. Also when people aren't serious about winning/playing the game decently, that makes me want to call a votekick.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:TF2 Image

Spoiler:

Spoilered for big.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:Unless both teams don't know what to do, then it's time to leave. Also when people aren't serious about winning/playing the game decently, that makes me want to call a votekick.

People get bored on 2-fort especially, they've played it too many times. Also, there isn't much personal reward in going for the intel. They'd rather point whore as a sniper against other snipers.

I think it's just a general problem with the intelligence maps. They all lead to this kind of crappy play from perfectly good players. 50% of em completely ignore that they're on an intelligence map. 2-fort is just the worst case because of how often it is played.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 am UTC

What I want to see as a mod for 2fort is thus:
The intel for both teams is in the middle, inside a closed area (turn the door into a locking room). Every five minutes it opens for one minute, then closes again, killing anyone inside at the time. The goal of the map would be to control the middle (a wide open space), but to control it at the opportune time. Strategies like building uber in spawn would be legitimate. The map would be redesigned to have a more interconnected sewer system, to encourage flanking and cutting off the other team. In addition, a path from the interior of the first floor to the battlements would make sniper-whoring more difficult, but also viable if the rest of the team works to protect their snipers. Should I make this for our server? I can do the layout, but scripting will be tricky.
<Cheese> I love you

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:13 am UTC

So, the Team Fortress blog has been updated. I'm hoping the title is a hint at something...

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=1823
All is well. We are not like the others.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:19 am UTC

I never really figured out 2Fort, probably because it is unpopular and I don't really play on it much. The few times I make it into the intelligence room, I get lost looking for the intelligence! (There's only one way in there, and that's through the upper floor and down the ramp, right?)

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:23 am UTC

The spy should have a cigarette / cigarettes as (a) weapon(s). Instead of a pistol, you could flick cigarette butts, or maybe put someone's eye out, blinding them for a short time, but doing no damage. You could use it while disguised.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I never really figured out 2Fort, probably because it is unpopular and I don't really play on it much. The few times I make it into the intelligence room, I get lost looking for the intelligence! (There's only one way in there, and that's through the upper floor and down the ramp, right?)

Heh.... 2fort is probably the most "popular" map, if you look at how many servers are running 2fort right now. My Gametracker banner says the server goes to 2fort when it's empty, probably to pick up new people. But 2fort is from TFC and most people have played it enough that they don't want to see it for a long time. Most ctf maps could do with only one round as it gets stupid long trying to cap.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:The spy should have a cigarette / cigarettes as (a) weapon(s). Instead of a pistol, you could flick cigarette butts, or maybe put someone's eye out, blinding them for a short time, but doing no damage. You could use it while disguised.

Isn't one of the Spy's taunts a cigarette flick? Just make that an instakill, like the Heavy and Pyro.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:29 pm UTC

At least let it ignite someone and I'll be happy.

guyy

Postby guyy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:31 am UTC

...What? It might work.

Ratio

Postby Ratio » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

I seem to remember, back when the class achivements were annonced, that they said they'd be rotaring thr groups Support>Attack>Defence, repeating till all the classes are done, with them being done in reverse order of popularity, (makes sense, medic, pyro, and heavy are easily the least popular in their individual groups)

Based on this, my prediction for the order would be: Spy>Scout>Engineer>Sniper>Soilder>Demoman.

Although if anyone dissagrees I'd be interested to hear their reasoning for guessing the order.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

That order sounds about right for the reasoning of class decisions.

I'm a little afraid that the final classes to be updated will have weapons to counter the new weapons of the early classes... And the first couple of classes will suffer. I think pyro's going to feel the pain, but maybe thats because they already toned back things like the backburner.

I hope they don't give the Demoman a shotgun replaicing the non-stickies or something they can use in open areas, because they're already the masters of closed ones.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

Ratio wrote:Based on this, my prediction for the order would be: Spy>Scout>Engineer>Sniper>Soilder>Demoman.
Yup, that was my prediction as well.

aion7 wrote:The spy should have a cigarette / cigarettes as (a) weapon(s). Instead of a pistol, you could flick cigarette butts, or maybe put someone's eye out, blinding them for a short time, but doing no damage. You could use it while disguised.
This would be very interesting, but I don't know how it would play. Would be very useful for taking out sentries. Awesome idea.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:That order sounds about right for the reasoning of class decisions.

I'm a little afraid that the final classes to be updated will have weapons to counter the new weapons of the early classes... And the first couple of classes will suffer. I think pyro's going to feel the pain, but maybe thats because they already toned back things like the backburner.

I hope they don't give the Demoman a shotgun replaicing the non-stickies or something they can use in open areas, because they're already the masters of closed ones.

I predict prox mines to replace the sticky, specialized grenades (stun, EMP, or incendiary), and maybe convert the bottle into a Molotov that'll ignite on contact.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

No way there'd be prox mines. I mean, demomen setting traps and just waiting there til someone walks by is already a problem, and you want to give them the ability to not have to wait around?

I could see something like tripmines, for example, since they're automatic but at least they're visible. You could balance them by changing the distance at which the laser beam becomes visible (toning it right down to a few metres if necessary).

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

Yeah, but you can't chunk sentries with prox mines. It's better for defense, less good for offense. A trade-off, like all the weapons are supposed to be.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:42 am UTC

Jebobek wrote:I hope they don't give the Demoman a shotgun replaicing the non-stickies or something they can use in open areas, because they're already the masters of closed ones.

I thought the Pyro was the master of closed areas?
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:33 am UTC

There are nine classes; there is bound to be some overlap somewhere.
Demomen own hallways, pyros own corners. Both are tight spaces.
<Cheese> I love you

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:18 am UTC

Before release they got rid of the Demo's TNT. You can see in older trailers him holding it. He actually had a swinging animation. You'd better believe they're going to try to bring it back. I'm thinking that it would replaice the stickies, and it acts as a det pack the TFC demos had.

Return to “Gaming”