Fan-Made Mechwarrior? With M$'s approval?!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

AbNo

Fan-Made Mechwarrior? With M$'s approval?!

Postby AbNo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

Here is what the top notch people over at Microsoft had to say in our non-commercial liscense.

"Microsoft grants MechWarrior: Living Legends a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use and display Game Content and to create derivative works based upon Game Content included in the "MechWarrior" Intellectual Property, strictly for noncommercial and personal use. We can revoke this limited use license at any time and for any reason.

If you share your Items with your friends or post them on your web site, then you also must include the following notice about the Game Content. You can put it in a README file, or on the web page from where it’s downloaded, or anywhere else that makes sense so long as anyone who sees your Item will also find this notice.
MechWarrior: Living Legends was created under Microsoft’s “Game Content Usage Rules” using assets from the MechWarrior Intellectual Property, © Microsoft Corporation.

If you wish at any time to market your title please contact us for a commercial liscense.

Legal & Corporate Affairs
Microsoft Canada Co."

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:30 pm UTC

It's about time a large company got the message!

If only this were true for Chrono Resurrection
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:10 am UTC

Hmm. Will it have pre-game customization of mechs? I miss that in the old MechWarrior games... You could create every role from sniper (Massive lasers? Yes, please!) to a one-time-use instant-kill machine (who says I can't put on another 2 PPCs?)
This space intentionally left blank.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:20 am UTC

sillybear25 wrote:Hmm. Will it have pre-game customization of mechs? I miss that in the old MechWarrior games... You could create every role from sniper (Massive lasers? Yes, please!) to a one-time-use instant-kill machine (who says I can't put on another 2 PPCs?)

One of my favorite things to do to friends when they played MechWarrior 3 was sneak up on 'em and hit the Alpha Strike (conveniently located at numpad enter). They ALWAYS had way too many weapons on 'em, so it would result in an awesome light show, and their prompt explosion.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:56 am UTC

hendusoone wrote:If only this were true for Chrono Resurrection

Oh God.

That looks like it would have been awesome. D:
とても嬉しかったよ
君が笑い掛けてた
全てを溶かす微笑みで

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Re:

Postby TheKhakinator » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:17 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:One of my favorite things to do to friends when they played MechWarrior 3 was sneak up on 'em and hit the Alpha Strike (conveniently located at numpad enter). They ALWAYS had way too many weapons on 'em, so it would result in an awesome light show, and their prompt explosion.

What's the Alpha Strike? Don't remember that from MW3.

I checked out MW4 on Wikipedia, and I'm sad to hear they've "simplified" the mech outfitting, so you don't have to worry about the ammo and such for weapons. That's ridiculous, because trying to get an optimum mech layout is one of the biggest parts of the series! Grr. Also, while this mod looks interesting, I'm saddened that it's running on Crysis, which means I'll need a new PC, and possibly Vista. So it's a no from me. It'd be nice if there was a new MW release on say, the 360, and NO, MechAssault is NOT the same thing. HAET at MechAssault.

Isn't there some big Mech game that you can get that has a $200 controller that even goes so far as to delete your save if you don't eject in time?

quintopia

Re: Fan-Made Mechwarrior? With M$'s approval?!

Postby quintopia » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

I don't know about the eject thing, but the Force Feedback Pro I bought for MW3 cost me $125 or so new.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: Re:

Postby Belial » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:12 pm UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:Isn't there some big Mech game that you can get that has a $200 controller that even goes so far as to delete your save if you don't eject in time?

And has, like, a 10-step mech startup sequence? Yeah, I know the game you're talking about, but have suddenly forgotten the name
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:43 pm UTC

Steel Battalion! That was the name....
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

hendusoone

Re: Re:

Postby hendusoone » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:56 pm UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:What's the Alpha Strike? Don't remember that from MW3.

Alpha Strike is a single button (default mapping = numpad enter) that fires every single weapon strapped to your Mech at the same time. Too many weapons firing at once creates too much heat, making your Mech explode instantly. If you don't have too many weapons, it's a rather devastating attack against whatever you're aiming at.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:02 pm UTC

It also fails to utilize all your available firepower if you have Pulse Lasers.

God, those were my friend in MW3. Supernova + ER Lg Pulse Lasers = win.

Or a Bushwacker with Mediums.

Except on the arctic level where heat dissipation isn't a problem. Then you go with ER Lg Lasers and cycle them. Alpha Strikes still blow you up instantly on the cold level if you fully load up a Supernova with ER Lg Lasers!
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:28 am UTC

Well, if anyone wants a turn-based stragtegy game with some Mech flavor to tide them over, there's Titans of Steel.
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

TheKhakinator

Postby TheKhakinator » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:57 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Steel Battalion! That was the name....

Thanks! Now to see about actually getting it :P I'd probably drop the cash and realise it went too far.

Seriously though I'm sick of these dumbed-down Mech games.

hendusoone wrote:
TheKhakinator wrote:What's the Alpha Strike? Don't remember that from MW3.

Alpha Strike is a single button (default mapping = numpad enter) that fires every single weapon strapped to your Mech at the same time. Too many weapons firing at once creates too much heat, making your Mech explode instantly. If you don't have too many weapons, it's a rather devastating attack against whatever you're aiming at.

Ah. That. I didn't bother; I just grouped my weapons nicely so I could fire all my lasers at once and while waiting for the heat to dissipate I'd switch to my short range missile group.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Re:

Postby Swordfish » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:18 am UTC

sillybear25 wrote:Hmm. Will it have pre-game customization of mechs? I miss that in the old MechWarrior games... You could create every role from sniper (Massive lasers? Yes, please!) to a one-time-use instant-kill machine (who says I can't put on another 2 PPCs?)

Pathway wrote:It also fails to utilize all your available firepower if you have Pulse Lasers.

God, those were my friend in MW3. Supernova + ER Lg Pulse Lasers = win.

Or a Bushwacker with Mediums.

Except on the arctic level where heat dissipation isn't a problem. Then you go with ER Lg Lasers and cycle them. Alpha Strikes still blow you up instantly on the cold level if you fully load up a Supernova with ER Lg Lasers!

Geeze, doesn't anyone here know how to use anything other than a frickin' boat. :P
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

TheKhakinator

Postby TheKhakinator » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:44 am UTC

I now have the original MechWarrior 4. I totally have to get some multiplayer going with this.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:36 am UTC

Resurrect for great justice.

Mod is out in open beta with a hotfix, although the website is currently down due to bandwidth issues - grab from ModDB or torrent.

Amnesiasoft

Re:

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:43 am UTC

hendusoone wrote:It's about time a large company got the message!

Now I know it's 84% of the Internet's favorite pastime to hate on Microsoft, but seriously, I've never seen Microsoft on the bad side of this. Can't people at least give Microsoft credit where they actually deserve it?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

Or perhaps Microsoft is allowing this third party to revive the Mechwarrior franchise for no effort/cost on their part, and will rescind the license right before launching Mechwarrior 20X6 HD.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:40 am UTC

I bought the Crysis pack during steam sale, and have downloaded and installed this, and it's awesome. It's only a beta, so it lacks some polish(missing descriptions text, hacked joystick support, keys not customisable in-game, occasional texture issues, aircraft controls bizzare, etc) but has a lot of promise. Think Battlefield 2 meets Mechwarrior, but done properly: active/passive radar, weapon firing groups, heat shutdown/overides, laser tagging for co-ordinated missile strikes and several cool other things. If you have Crysis and any interest in Mechwarrior, this is well worth trying. At the moment you can't customise mech weapon/armour/equipment layout, but every vehicle/mech chassis comes with 4 prebuilt loadouts to choose from.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:39 am UTC

As much as I love stomping around in mechs my favorite at the moment is the Battle Armor (infantry), I load-out according to what weapons I want and then buy the best mech/vehicle available.

Also, they're working on documentation as we go (released it before the end of the year without documentation vs. releasing after) and are adding in a mech lab in order to adapt mechs, most likely all other vehicles(tanks/hovertanks/aircraft/VTOL) as well. I wish there were more servers about, though.

Return to “Gaming”