Urban dead (GRAAAH!!!)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Urban dead (GRAAAH!!!)

Postby no-genius » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

Urban Dead is a free-to-play browser-based multi-player game where you play the survivor or victim of a zombie outbreak in a quarantined city centre, alongside tens of thousands of others

I've been playing it for a few days now. You only get about 50 turns a day (they update 1 every half-hour, so its really 48 - but 50 is the maximum). I'm still getting used to playing it, but its quite good.
Last edited by no-genius on Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Re: Urban dead (zombieeeeees)

Postby bbctol » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:17 am UTC

Been playing this game for a while now, and it's worlds more fun with the toolbar. Yay graphics.

I'm a zombie now, unfortunately for me.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:02 am UTC

I'm playing both as a zombie and a survivor. I am too bad at this game to cheat.

... But would anyone be interested in making an xkcd zombie horde?

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:03 pm UTC

I joined and turned into a zombie the first night. Damn you heavily barricaded places!

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:38 am UTC

thats why we need hordes! (but zerging is bad, mmm'kay?)

My zombie is in Pimbank atm, but I only have 8 AP. I think we should pick a suburb and converge on it.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:57 pm UTC

I'm at the zoo. I... don't really know my way around at all.

Mat

Postby Mat » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:35 pm UTC

nooooo! :o

(I'm a survivor)

oh and advice for the newbies - take a look at the wiki. It's got maps and stuff and a lot of suburbs have barricade plans so you can avoid getting trapped outside.

I'm currently in the mall in Darvall Heights. If anyone nearby needs any help I've got lots of first aid kits :)

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:12 pm UTC

Woo it is fun, I have a necrotech science guy (in a barricade with two other people in there)
And a zombie who smashed a barricade for no reason and is standing with some other zombies.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:26 am UTC

Woah. Someone just... healed me? Thanks, guy. Too bad I used all my energy standing up...

Mat

Postby Mat » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:08 am UTC

I'm a scientist too. I have a lab coat and everything! I started as a doctor but I have all the necrotech skills now, so I can revive zombies.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:38 am UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:Woo it is fun, I have a necrotech science guy (in a barricade with two other people in there)
And a zombie who smashed a barricade for no reason and is standing with some other zombies.

They smashed the barricade to eat the juicy harmans.

Oh, and mat: don't revive me.

edit: yay! I have 76 EP!

Mat

Postby Mat » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:48 am UTC

if you come anywhere near my brains you are so getting stabbed with a revivification syringe :x

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:59 am UTC

Mat wrote:if you come anywhere near my brains you are so getting stabbed with a revivification syringe :x

I support the 'shoot the messenger' policy fyi :D

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:17 pm UTC

I am a level 24 zombie hunter (started off fireman). I have all the living skills unlocked and live in Rolt Heights.
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

I'm a zombie. (again.)

xooll

Postby xooll » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:59 pm UTC

Ahh, Urban Dead. I've been playing since 2005. Haven't been by there lately, though.
I've got 5 characters. A recently-revived survivor in Stanbury village, maxed-out zombies in Vinetown and East Boundwood, a necrotech guy in Spracklingbank, and a currently-dead level 38 jack-of-all-trades in Darvall Heights.
If anybody wants a revive, come by Spracklingbank. The name's xooll (unsurprisingly).

Oh, and here's a map of the whole city: http://map.aypok.co.uk/index.php
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

Apparently I'm a zombie in Brooke Hills.

dragonmantank

Postby dragonmantank » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:49 pm UTC

Apparently at some point I signed up for this game and my old character is a zombie (has to be over a year old, still has wirecutters!). So, I've got a Zombie roaming around town somewhere and a Policeman at the Burrell police dept.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:47 pm UTC

I have 2 zombies and 1 human.

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:30 pm UTC

Ah, I used to play this for a good while. I went around and maxed out my character, and then it got kinda boring =\
//TODO: Write funny sig

Pause

Postby Pause » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:12 pm UTC

xooll wrote:If anybody wants a revive, come by Spracklingbank. The name's xooll (unsurprisingly).

Hey, my group hangs round Spracklingbank. If I see you I'll say hi.

If anyone's in the vicinity of Giddings Mall and needs a helping hand levelling - getting started can be very unforgiving for lone players - be sure to drop by.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:01 pm UTC

I'm having a lot of trouble getting into the game. Is there a particular newbie strategy? Should I start out by finding a zombie, smacking it around a bit, and finding a place to hide?

Pause

Postby Pause » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:58 pm UTC

Yeah, that's a decent enough way. As a survivor, there are two basic ways of levelling.

The first is to grab yourself an axe from a fire station, find a safehouse that's kept at VS barricading (this may well be the fire station itself), then go outside whacking zombies every day until you can afford Hand-to-Hand Combat and Axe Proficency, which will raise your hit rate and XP farmed, and Free Running and Construction, which are essential skills for all survivors. (Please do not whack zombies at revive points, though - cemeteries and anything marked as such with graffiti.) Firearms do more damage (and thus earn more XP), but as a new survivor finding ammo is more trouble than it's worth. Stick to melee weapons at first. A kill will net you an XP bonus, but that's pot luck for you yet - you'll be dependent on finding other people's leavings.

The second method is to find yourself a hospital you can enter, and sit tight for as long as it takes you to level up through healing people. At first this is trial and error - just try using first aid kits (FAKs) on everyone. It'll use up your AP with each attempt, but it won't waste an FAK if they don't need healing. If you go down this route, get Diagnosis to speed up the process, and avoid First Aid.

An alternative method is simply to accept fate and spend time munching people as a zombie. If you don't spend the XP you earn, you can carry it over to buy survivor skills once you've been revived. The drawback to this is that the first few weeks as a zombie are generally even harder than as a survivor, unless you can find a temporary horde to run with.

If you're having trouble, you're always welcome in Spracklingbank, where we'll revive you (if needed), patch you up, and provide you with a safehouse and equipment to get started.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:47 pm UTC

Huh. I have two zombies just north of there. Thanks for the info :)

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:48 pm UTC

Arggggh, some jackass came and revived me last night. I wanted to eat braaaaaains.

Now I'm barricaded in some church with some people. I have no skills and a metal pipe. Joyous day.

Col. Mustard

Postby Col. Mustard » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:16 pm UTC

Just joined up. Character is Charles Michael Hunt.

Pause

Postby Pause » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:00 am UTC

A word of warning for anyone with multiple characters - it's generally believed that the game detects alt abuse, and will lower the hit and search rates of anyone using multiple characters in the same suburb. Beyond that, if you possess alts it's generally considered fair to have at least one suburb between them. Having characters 'passing through' can be frowned upon, but as long as they don't interact with each other and stay for as short a time as your AP reasonably allows, you'll be alright as long as you don't make a habit of it.

I don't want to detract from any possible xkcd group, but if anyone is looking for a group to join - perhaps if you have multiple characters and want them doing different things - my comrades and I will happily take in new members. We used to be one of the largest groups, but our membership has dwindled as people moved on. But we're still equipped to help people, and fresh blood is always welcome. And not just by the zombies! If anyone is interested, let me know.

xooll

Postby xooll » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 am UTC

Pause wrote:A word of warning for anyone with multiple characters - it's generally believed that the game detects alt abuse, and will lower the hit and search rates of anyone using multiple characters in the same suburb.

This is true. Additionally, there's a limit for the number of server hits you can get from the same IP per day.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:06 am UTC

I checked the map earlier today and was surprised to find that two of my three were in adjacent suburbs. I'll be moving one away tomorrow.

Paincakes

Postby Paincakes » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:02 pm UTC

I just started playing, I have two characters (Cecilius Borror and Avidan Borror), still at the starting point.

So, who'll be the first to spray paint: xkcd.com - DNE?

Dr Strangelove

Postby Dr Strangelove » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:01 am UTC

I have...lemme see...six characters, but one of them is just for radio transmissions. Of course, I can only run three of them a day, but they get a lot done. Main is Private Culsa, with every skill except Brain Rot, and been in Malton since three months after the outbreak (I think). He's pretty fun.
This signature still in committee.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

Wow. I'm wandering around and I can't find ANY zombies to kill.

Pause

Postby Pause » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

They come and go in waves. Sometimes you get caught in a lull, and there's none for blocks and blocks in any direction. Other times it's all you can do to sit tight and ride out the storm, and even then that's not enough without good support. Kevan (who runs the game) could probably knock up some very nice swarming patterns from the data on that server....

Unless you're prepared to travel, it's down to luck. If there's a Mall Tour going on, there's usually plenty of stragglers left behind if you can find the wake. The largest concentrations are always round Shearbank and Ridleybank... though that's not particularly a safe place for anyone to be, let alone a new survivor. Failing that, check out the suburb map - but don't put all your faith in the intelligence reports from individual suburbs, just follow the pattern.

Otherwise, find a nearby point near several resource buildings or on a route between two malls, and wait. Or else stick to healing for XP while there's no zeds around.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:13 pm UTC

Paincakes wrote:So, who'll be the first to spray paint: xkcd.com - DNE?

I sprayed an advert for xkcd.com outside a factory.

Also, for newbs: you want to find a safe place (not EHB or you'd need free running to get in) BEFORE you go looking for zombies. and try to keep track how far you are from it - but remember you'll need an extra AP to get in.

edit: this has some good links - particularly the homing beacon FF extension. and the suburb map is always useful. Also the combat calculator works out how many AP it would take to kill with various weapons & skills. Useful for working out which skill to get next.

I have a human (citizen) in pescodside - Headland street fire station, Robert Vann (it was just a random name). I haven't leveled up yet, but I don't mind showing some newbies around. Oh, and the best weapon/skill combination is fire axe with hand to hand combat and axe proficiency. Without those, you won't be able to kill a zombie in one turn (unless they are fairly low on health - it would take ~50 AP to kill a zombie on 15AP), but it gets the most damage (and all other weapons are 10% for you anyway).
For new zombies, one of mine is 3rd level, and one is 2nd level (but its a former human, so it won't be much help). The 3rd level is following the big bash, but I'll probably go back to pimbank/ridleybank when its finished. You might also want to check out the feral undead [url]big brother/sister program[/url]. But basically, follow the big bash, and you will find plenty of meat. (Is anyone here actually a zombie?) Its best to be a zombie from the start, 'cause then you get Vigour Mortis free. The next skill I got was lurching gait (only takes 1AP to move) and then ankle grasp (1AP to get up/ 6AP from a headshot).
The next thing I'm gonna is neck lurch (+10% bite attacks) - claw skills are better in the long run, but neck lurch is slightly more efficient.
Last edited by no-genius on Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Postby Vekter » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

I'm enjoying it somewhat. I've got a cop (Vekter, of course!) and just started a few minutes ago. Thanks for the tips, I'll make sure to use them tomorrow.

I'm stuck in the police department (I forget which one. x.x)
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:57 pm UTC

This sounds like so much fun! Can't wait until work's over.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:17 pm UTC

Vekter wrote:I'm enjoying it somewhat. I've got a cop (Vekter, of course!) and just started a few minutes ago. Thanks for the tips, I'll make sure to use them tomorrow.

I'm stuck in the police department (I forget which one. x.x)

Even if a building is EHB, you can still leave - you just can't get back in. Whichever of {leave [building], move to [adjacent building]} you didn't try, try it. (There may be a slight bug). If neither of these works, jump out the window!

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Postby Vekter » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:34 pm UTC

No, I didn't mean it literally. >.> I'm just saying, I want to find a better safehouse, but the police department was the only good one I could find.
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:01 pm UTC

Yea, I couldnt get into this because on the first day I got zombieized.

Lame.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:32 am UTC

Aleril wrote:Yea, I couldnt get into this because on the first day I got zombieized.

Lame.

there are revive points. usually cemetarys (you only get 1/2 max HP, but usually someone will heal you too).

Return to “Gaming”